Sunday, October 20, 2019

Rainy Days

The past week was rainy. Other than driving in the rain, I like rainy days. I didn't get anything on my weekly to-do list done, but I don't feel bad at all. 😊

So, what did I do this past week? I spent time working on the online course material. It's amazing how much time it takes to make a lesson plan. 5 more weeks and then the semester is over. I'm sure that the next semester is going to be a lot easier.

I did more crocheting.  I made a bookmark ( I used this pattern), and a placemat (the pattern is here). I changed the pattern a bit, and made it smaller. I didn't have the right size crochet hook, so I used a bigger one. 

Bookmark.


Placemat.

I also tried another new recipe - toad in the hole.

Toad in the hole.

After reading Mae's post, I downloaded and read Julia Child: The Last Interview. I love Julia Child (and Jacques Pepin) and learned a lot about cooking by watching their shows. This is a very short book, and I enjoyed reading it. I've read her autobiography My Life in France, Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child by Bob Spitz, Backstage with Julia by Nancy Verde Barr.  Julia was a remarkable woman, and every time I read about her, I feel so sad that she is not here anymore.  Just today I downloaded another book, Julia's Cats - Julia Child's Life in the Company of Cats by Patricia Barey and Therese Burson. 



I'm participating in a Christmas swap organized by the Homemakers forum.  After a lot of thinking, I finally decided what to make and started the project. I think I should be able to finish it before the end of this month.

So, that's about it. It was a quiet week. I neglected the weekly to-do list, and  a pile of clothes that needs ironing.  I think next week I will have more time and motivation to complete everything. 😊

Have a wonderful week everyone. 

This week's to-do list:
1) Fertilize passion vines. - Not done.
2) Decide what to plant in raised beds and sow seeds. - Not done.
3) Declutter spare room. - Not done.


Next week's to-do list:
Same as above. 

XX
Nil


40 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so impressed with your crocheting. You follow patterns so well. Blankets are fun, too. Julia Child was such a personality. I loved her show. She had so much joy and passion. It's wonderful when people can use their gifts to help the world. She was a cooking star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephenie. I really enjoy crochet. :)

      Another chef I like is Jacques Pepin. I used to watch a show on PBS where they worked together.

      Delete
  2. You had a very productive rainy week! Making lesson plans from scratch takes a lot of time (recalling my mother making lesson plans); I am sure the lesson plans will be easier, next semester, as you can use this semester's lesson plans as a basis. I really like your crocheted bookmark and the placemat! By the way, did you know that Julia Child was in Sri Lanka during WWII and met her husband there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bless. I was tickled to read that. If I remember correctly, they had worked together for several months in Kandy.

      Delete
  3. You will get things done and they won't even know you were a week later than you intended to be. Rainy weeks are for doing rainy day things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crochet is really coming along! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you liked your toad in the hole! I can send you my family recipe if you like :-)

    Your crochet skills have come such a long way from when you first started. The little book mark is very sweet and I also like the placemat. So much nicer than the cork mats that we use!

    Some weeks are taken up by work, aren't they? I appreciate how much work an online course takes, more than face to face teaching really. At least initially. I have another six weeks of course to go but thankfully, we have a catch up week next week, which means I can slow down a little while students catch-up (mine are all in full time work)...

    Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have your family recipe, Christina. I will post a message on your blog. :)

      Delete
  6. There's a movie about Julia Childs.....Julie and Julia. Meryl Streep plays Julia, a good movie as I remember it. You sound relaxed, it can be good to toss the to- do lists out every now and then and put your feet up. What do you fertilise your passionfruit with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that movie, Nanette. It's a very nice movie.

      I am thinking of using a fertilizer made for citrus trees (only because I have it at home.) :)

      Delete
  7. That is such a cute bookmark! Yes, I agree, Julia Child was an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bookmark could have been a bit thinner. But still I can close the book, so it's fine. First I made a flower with medium weight yarn and it was too thick. :)

      Delete
  8. Your crocheted bookmark is pretty and delicate looking. Sometimes a larger hook makes a lacy pattern stand out even better. Good job.

    I used to watch Julia Child on TV years ago. She was adept in the kitchen and fun to watch, too.
    Have a great week.
    Toni.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Nil
    i love your bookmark - so clever of you. and i love julia child too, and i've read lots about her. i think she may have been a bit of a difficult lady in real life though...cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee yes, Sherry. I have read somewhere that sometimes Jacques Pepin had to be really patient when he worked with Julia. :)

      Delete
  10. I like your bookmarks! I love to crochet also. You have given me the desire to find out more about Julia Child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan.
      I love the mandalas you crocheted. They are so pretty. :)

      Delete
  11. I like the bookmark and the place mat, Great job. We had one rainy day here this week and I had to be out driving in it, yuck. But we needed the rain so much as it's been dry here. I hope you have a good week, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are having a good week, Belinda. Finally we had a really nice, cool morning today.

      Delete
  12. Lovely crochet work as always. You certainly have a talent for it. I agree-Julia Child was an inspiration and such a personality. This semester seems to have flown by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's delightful, to find books to read, on a person we admire....

    🍁🍂🎃🍁🍎🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your crochet work is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bookmark is lovely, Nil. Your are certainly putting your new skill to good use! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nil, you are really doing well with your crochet. It looks really good. Well worth the practice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Nil, thank you so much for your great comment, on my "It's baaaack" post. Very insightful...

    🍁🍂🎃🍁🍎🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read Mae's post too and became very interested in the book! I'm going to download it as well. Such a pretty bookmark too. Have a great week and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It’s perfectly OK, Nil, not to finish everything on a to-do list. It seems like you have been enjoying the crocheting and sure others will appreciate any as gifts. I have never read the biography and other stores about Julia Child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beatrice. This year all my Christmas gifts will include homemade soaps and crocheted items. :)

      Delete
  20. Your crocheting is so nice! I remember Julia Child's original t.v. show. My mom used to laugh at how she drank wine so much! Andrea

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻