Thursday, September 12, 2019

Dust if you must ...

I think that I use the vacuum cleaner too often. I have a shop vac, a small handheld vacuum cleaner and a standard size upright vacuum cleaner. About two weeks ago, the handheld vacuum cleaner broke. And the large one is over 10 years old and doesn't work well any more. So the other day I went to the store to buy another handheld vacuum, and instead bought a cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner. I spent about 10 times more than I had planned!

I was feeling buyer's remorse until I used the new Dyson. It is very powerful. I can use it as a standard vacuum cleaner, and make it a handheld one by removing the detachable wand. I know still I could have saved money if I had bought a $20 small vacuum.  But, what can I say? I like vacuuming. πŸ˜„
I think this poem by Rose Milligan was written for someone like me. πŸ˜ƒ


Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture, or write a letter,
Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
Music to hear, and books to read;
Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there
With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,
This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
Old age will come and it's not kind.
And when you go (and go you must)
You, yourself, will make more dust.


XX
Nil

44 comments:

  1. I hear they are VERY nice vacuum cleaners, so I would consider it money well spent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dyson has a very good reputation, Belinda. But until I bought this one, I really didn't believe it. :)

      Delete
  2. -clapping- That poem is precious!!!!!

    The worst part of vacuuming is the heft of the vacuum. Ours is way too heavy for me. My husband uses it, and it tires him out too.

    Tell me that this one, is not like lugging a "100+" weight around!

    πŸπŸ‚✨πŸπŸ‚

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem. Congratulations on your new vacuum! I love vacuuming, too. I researched online and bought a Shark Professional. The reviews and price were excellent. It has been a great vacuum. Enjoy yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the store I was going back and forth between Shark and Dyson, and then bought Dyson. :) They were both similar, cordless ones, and Shark was advertised as good for pet hair as well. So I think you made a great choice.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the poem. Clean enough to be healthy but dirty enough to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be a clean freak, Anne. I'm getting better though. Heheee

      Delete
  5. I have read that poem before:-) I use the wand on my vacuum as much as I use the vacuum itself. Good to know about the Dyson as mine is also roughly a decade old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wand is a very useful feature. Now I can reach the cobwebs on the ceiling. :)

      Delete
  6. There's much to be said for a great vacuum cleaner. I'm actually considering the Dyson myself. Would you mind divulging which model you bought? My current one is in shambles.

    Love the poem; it's morbidly hilarious. Thanks for sharing it.
    Have a great rest o'the week!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, mine is Dyson V7 Motorhead model. I bought it especially because of the detachable handheld vacuum feature.

      Delete
  7. I gave up vacuuming years ago...no carpet here, and no-one wanted to pull out the vacuum cleaner to clean the rugs! We got rid of the rugs and the vacuum cleaner. But if vacuuming makes you happy, you need a good one to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carpets collect lots of dust. That's the main reason I removed all the carpets and put tiles when I bought this house. :)

      Delete
  8. That's a great poem! I'm glad you got yourself a new vacuum cleaner with the features you want. My daughter keeps telling me that I need a new vacuum cleaner, but my old one still works, so, I keep using it. I still don't like to vacuum though! Or, dust! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you will like vacuuming more, if I have a new vacuum cleaner? Hahaa

      Delete
  9. I would usually agree with the poem but, I'm ashamed to say, I can literally write my name in the dust in my house this week. I know what I'll be doing today. πŸ˜†

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main reason that I dust and vacuum often is I have a very sensitive nose, Jules.
      Happy dusting😁

      Delete
  10. I can't stand vacuum cleaning! Stairs are the worst... we have a Miele model, it is excellent. We have mostly wooden floors but a few rugs need vacuuming. The dog sheds just so much hair! Enjoy your Dyson. Did you know they also produce a really fancy hair dryer? It is almost silent and quite powerful (my hairdresser uses one). x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know about the Dyson hair dryer. I rarely use a hair dryer anyway. 😊
      Fortunately I don’t have stairs, carpets, rugs or pets, so vacuuming is not very difficult.

      Delete
  11. A dyson is a good tool, and does the job really well and will last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marlene. For that price, I expect it to last forever. 😁

      Delete
  12. My Dyson handheld is about six or seven years old and still going strong. I have bought a second filter and switch them out when one is full and needs to be washed out and dried. I also plan to buy a new brush for the bottom attachment soon because the one that's in there now is showing some wear and tear since I have pets and several carpets and tiles. It's working hard but as I said still going very strong. I'm so glad I bought it! It is worth every cent in my book. In conclusion: Congrats on yours :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MeliB. It’s good to hear from a long time Dyson user. 😊

      Delete
  13. we have a dyson - they are fabulous! happy vacuuming... cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I’ve begun to feel a lot better about the money I paid for the Dyson. 😁

      Delete
  14. Here's to many happy years together for you and your new Dyson.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the new vacuum. I have had the same old Oreck upright for 30 years and it still works like a champ. I love that it can be used almost flat so it can go way underneath beds and furniture. It is really lightweight as well. I did have to buy a new handheld Oreck about 5 years ago when the motor finally burned out in the one that came as part of the original deal with the upright. I also like to vacuum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 30 years is a very long time for any appliance. I don’t remember seeing Oreck at stores, but I remember seeing ads on TV. It must be a really well made vacuum cleaner.

      Delete
  16. I agree with the purchase of the Dyson. If vacuuming is something you like to do then you may as well have good equipment to do it with as it makes it more enjoyable....and usually less frequent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't like to vacuum (and I think it is a hard word to spell!) so I have no carpeting in my house. But still, a vacuum is necessary for cleaning out furnace vents, etc. We had one for many decades and finally had to get one, which ended up being a bag less one. Was afraid to switch, but ended up being fine with a bag less! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think bag less ones are easier to use, Andrea. Many canisters can be washed, so it’s easy to empty them. So, you made a good choice. 😊

      Delete
  18. Yes, I prefer to bake a cake, instead of vacuuming☺

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a similar Dyson, the pet model. Love it! With 3 cats and a dog indoors, I vacuum twice a day, and the Dyson's so light and easy to use, I don't hesitate to grab it and do a quick wizz around. Now dusting, that's another story ha ha. I just read a post on the CWA page on the story of aprons.....one of the uses was about when unexpected visitors drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds! Perhaps I need to wear an apron 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too use the handheld one very often, at least once a day. I have long hair, so though there are no pets, I still have hair flying around. 😁

      Delete
  20. I also love vacuuming, especially when you empty the container and see how much you got up. The poem is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was a cute poem, Nil, and I am with you in vacuuming vs dusting, although at times both are needed. We have an older Hoover that is perfect for our apt as it fits in the hall closet. The Dyson will last a long time, so the expense may be justified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoover is a very good brand, Beatrice. My mom has one, she’s been using it for ages.

      Delete
  22. It will probably last a long time and thus it was worth the money. I don't really like to vacuum but one needs to do it. We only have carpet in the living room but we still have to vacuum the rest of the house (hardwood floors and kitchen has tile.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too hope the vacuum cleaner will last a long time, Angela. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻