Friday, August 30, 2019

Hurricane Dorian

A hurricane is coming this way. Hurricane Dorian is a category 3 storm at the moment, some 500+ miles from Florida’s east coast. Path could still change, but according to some models it is possible to land as a category 4 storm, the strongest to hit Florida since Hurricane Andrew in 1992. There’s also a possibility of it turning north, but it’s too early to know the exact path. It is expected to land late Monday or early Tuesday.  

The college is closed on Tuesday. Yesterday on my way home I stopped at the nearest Walmart to buy  rice and canned food. There was not a single bottle of water! The shelves were empty. Luckily, I do have a pack of bottled water, and I also filled up glass bottles with filtered water. Tomorrow I’m going to fill up large containers, and move potted plants to the patio. I have several hurricane shutters, and will wait another day to put them up. I also got a full tank of gas, and some cash. Yesterday I cooked all the chicken I had in the freezer, so I’ll be eating a lot of chicken this weekend. 😊 Two year’s ago, after hurricane Irma we didn’t have power for three days, and I had to throw away everything  I had in the freezer. This year I started using up frozen meat and fish earlier. I can always stock up once the hurricane season is over. 

I hope Dorian will change it’s path at the last moment. This is the only time I wish I lived somewhere else. Are there states where there are no hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, or floods? And not too cold? I’m not sure. πŸ€” I’m still not scared, but Irma also didn’t scare me until the last moment. Perhaps I shouldn’t watch news, because that’s what scared me the most last time , everyone panicking and trying to leave the state. 

So far, most models show a path along the east coast. I’m in the west coast, so as long as the path doesn’t shift west , this area should be relatively safe.


I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I'm hoping for a hurricane free one. 😊

XX

Nil


25 comments:

  1. Nil, you certainly have been wise to be as prepared as you can be. I’ve seen some of the Dorian hurricane reports today and hope you will all be safe from harm or damage. Certainly. It a great way to spend a holiday weekend, in answer to your question, there are no hurricanes here in NH but it will be colder in winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard about the hurricane and thought of you. Glad you have the storm shutters. Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you in the last one, Nil. I hope that everything goes well, and that you are safe. My brother lives in Florida, too. He has one of those bunker homes, built for the hurricanes. I hope you have enough water. I think sometimes people panic and it makes things worse. Watching the news can really do a number on your mind. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay safe Nil. Also before it hits fill your bathtub with water to use for any personal or household cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nil I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best. I had no idea you lived in Florida, which town do you live near so I can check on the web how you are going once it gets closer. Living in a cyclone prone area here I can really sympathise and have lost count of how many times we have taken the same precautionary measures as you are. Do you tape up your windows with masking tape as well? We have a bathtub and fill that with water. Also it is so good they are closing the college, I always thought they were a bit blase here at the uni I worked at. My heart goes out to you my friend, stay safe, good luck, and hopefully Dorian will change its mind. Please let us know how you are when you can. Warmest wishes, Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please stay safe Nil. Will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for letting us know how you are Nil, I was planning to email you and check when I came in from walking Mirrhi. You sound well prepared and not scared, that's probably all you can do for now, and wait and see. I hope Dorian doesn't decide to head west, would be good if he just blew himself out now, for everybody's sake. Hope too your weekend is hurrican free, let us know how you're going, if you can. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the hurricane doesn't cause too much damage! Hope you will be safe and your area avoids the worst of it. Good idea to cook and eat what's in the freezer! Maybe it's time to think about getting a generator? Let us know how you are doing, from time to time. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pray that everyone in Dorian's path will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for all your prayers and well wishes , everyone.
    Now it looks like Dorian is going further east. Too early for a definite path yet, but at the moment it looks like the west coast of the state will be safe. I’m going to prepare anyway, because these hurricanes can be really unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you will be safe and secure! And I hope the hurricane is not as bad as they are saying. It sounds as if you are very well-prepared. One of our sons and his wife live in Florida so we will be watching the hurricane news! I think every location has it's good and bad, and Florida probably still has more good! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its always scary with any type of natural disaster, Iike you I live in a state that is full of one natural disaster or another but it never worries me. We have plans in place and we know it will be ok. Crossing fingers all will be ok withyou

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you are as prepared as you can be, Nil. Stay safe. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fingers crossed you are not affected by the storm. You are right, better be prepared for it, safety is paramount. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been thinking about you for the last few days as Dorian gained strength. Thank you for letting us all know that you are prepared. I have you in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us when you are able.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best of luck!!!! I was thinking I didn't Net-know anyone in its path. But I do!!!!!!!!!!!!! You, one of the sweetest bloggers around.

    Oh yes, prepare! Nothing lost, in preparation.

    Wish I knew where you are... West side but.... But I understand if you want to stay more anon. I fully understand.

    Will be thinking of you. Be safe! Be safe! Be safe! Be safe! Be safe! Be safe!

    ✨🌻✨

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stay safe! Last I saw it shifted north to the east coast, so maybe you'll be out of its way. It would be nice if more people were able to prepare for natural disasters without panicking and going overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending good though your way, Nil. I hope the hurricane goes out to sea, so that the storm won't be as bad. My MIL is in Jacksonville. I poke with her this morning and they are talking that way now. So let's hope and pray. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like you are well prepared, Nil. That's always better than panic during natural disasters like these big storms. Take care and stay safe. Meg Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nil, Praying for you and the whole east coast. Please be safe. Blessings,xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello everyone, thank you again for your prayers.
    Dorian has changed its path and moving north, about 100 miles off the east coast. We in the west coast are totally safe. According to the current path, we don’t have to board up windows. I’m so relieved. I hope the path stays the same, or moves even further away.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nil I saw on the news that the hurricane had turned. So pleased you are okay. I have a friend in Raleigh NC so I hope she stays safe too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Actually on Oct. 10, 2018, Hurricane Michael came in as a Cat. 5 at the last minute upon making landfall at Mexico Beach in the Florida Panhandle. It wiped out Port. St. Joe, Mexico Beach and heavily damaged Panama City, Florida. We had a good bit of damage 100 miles away in Tallahassee. That part of the panhandle is mostly rural and they call themselves "The Forgotten Coast" - they have had a hard time getting federal & state recovery money. These storms are becoming more frequent and I keep a Preparedness Checklist on the frig all the time now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sep 1....It's going back out to sea. You must be so glad.

    πŸπŸŒ»πŸ‚πŸπŸŒ»πŸ‚

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad the hurricane changed it's path and that you are fine. That is scary! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻