I had a very productive week. I was able to finish all syllabi and everything is ready to go online one week in advance. The semester officially starts in a week, but I have meetings this week.
I didn't have time to prepare raised beds for new vegetables. But I weeded and fertilized the flowerbed in the front yard, and also planted some yellow flowers. It's a type of Lantana. I wanted yellow flowers because everything else I have in the yard are shades of pink, red or purple.
![]() |
| New flowers. |
Out of the three sprouted mango seeds, only one has come up yet. One evening when I watered there was nothing, and the next morning I saw this! It's like Jack's beanstalk. 😄
| Mango. |
Today I picked the first two peppers. They look weird. Don't you think?
![]() |
| Peppers. |
I made Spanakopita again, this time with phyllo dough. Still I changed the recipe a bit and added both spinach and kale, and didn't use too many layers of phyllo sheets.
![]() |
| Spanakopita. |
This morning I made a big batch of vegetable soup. Now it's time to cook more and freeze, so I have enough food for up coming busy days.
![]() |
| Vegetable soup. |
Yesterday I dropped off two bags of books at the library bookstore. I browsed their shelves, but didn't buy any new books. One of my goals for this year was to have a yard sale, but I decided to donate stuff to the library and thrift stores instead. I don't want to spend time preparing for a yard sale. A friend suggested that I could sell things on Facebook Marketplace, but I don't feel comfortable to do so. I have sold books on Amazon but I think there's more privacy there. Have you ever used Facebook marketplace to sell or buy things?
This week's to-do list:
1) Prepare raised beds.
2)
3)
Next week's to-do list:
1) Prepare raised beds.
2) Repair the lunch bag.
3) More decluttering.
XX
Nil





You had a very productive week! Well done on preparing everything in readiness for the busy days ahead! The yellow lantana looks lovely and congratulations on getting the mango seed to sprout! As for the passion fruit, while you wait for the fruits to ripen, you can pick a few leaves and make mallung with them. Those peppers do look interesting! But, I'm sure they taste great. :) I haven't tried Facebook Marketplace.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a good week ahead, Nil.
I’ve read that certain types of passion leaves are not good to eat in large amounts. Mom makes mallung from passion leaves, but I haven’t done it yet. Maybe I’ll add several leaves to my next mallung. 😊
DeleteWe ge rid of lantana here in Australia for the following reasons: Lantana is a problem because it forms a dense thicket. ... Lantana is a lalopathic, releasing chemicals into the surrounding soil to prevent seed germination, notably of the native flora, so that it eventually takes over native bushland. As with other successful weeds, lantana can spread in different ways.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/weed-alert-lantana/9427632
Your passionfruit looks really healthy, mine is struggling at the moment. Need to give it somem TLC.
Wow that mango is impressive.
I like your peppers, they are very unique.
I love watching all your food dishes, can you see I love cooking LOL.
Wish I lived closer then I could have taken your books for my Street Library that is in the making.
Lantana is an invasive weed here, but not illegal. The one I bought is a lantana hybrid sold at the gardening center, so maybe it’s a bit better?? I’m not sure. We have lantana in Sri Lanka, and as kids sometimes we used to eat ripe berries. 🙁
DeleteI would have definitely given you my books and also borrowed from your library! 😁
Funny about Jack's beanstalk.:-) I haven't sold anything online, but I don't have a Facebook account. It's okay to just donate things. And it's okay not to have a yard sale, too. We've had two of them over the years. One was successful (about 900 dollars), one was so unsuccessful I regret the time we put into preparing for it.
ReplyDeleteI think if if had a yard sale I would make maybe about $30. Most probably way less. 🤣
DeleteI have used FB Marketplace quite a bit to buy items and this Summer, used it to post items for sale or to give away. I actually found it quite easy and every piece was sold/given away and all picked up on time. No haggling, no late comers, no no shows. I would use it again for sure!
ReplyDeleteChy
Thank for reading and commenting Chy.
DeleteI’ve heard very good reviews about FB marketplace and some of my friends also use it.
Congrats on having everything prepped for classes! I've thought about FB marketplace, but haven't done it. I haven't decided whether the items I want to sell are worth enough to bother with effort. I also don't like the idea of people coming to my house, so I would sell things that I could put in my car and meet in a public place. My sister has used FB marketplace to buy things before and I guess a benefit is you can see something about the people on their profiles before meeting them.
ReplyDeleteYes Julie. I also don’t like people coming to my house. With FB they would even know my name, unlike selling on Amazon or eBay. What I don’t want is people seeing my profile. Heheee
DeleteHi Nil, I haven't used it, but many of my friends have. I usually donate my stuff to the Salvation Army, the Veterans, or our local thrift shop. Your plants look so healthy and colorful!
ReplyDeleteI think donating is the easiest way for me too Stephenie.
DeleteI like productive weeks! Glad you got so much done before term starts x
ReplyDeleteYes. It’s such a relief to have everything done. Now I hope the students will take advantage of it and will read the syllabus before attending the class. Hahaa
DeleteLantana grow very well here. I have several on the slight slope between our house and the neighbor to the north. They are the red/yellow/orange lantana which are my very favorites. I deleted Facebook about 2 years ago even though I never posted anything on my page. I was really bothered by the fact that notices (is that what they are called?) would pop up about sites I had visited using other computers and other WIFI. It just creeped me out. Never have had Instagram or Pininterest either. Enjoy your last few days of leisure before the school semester starts!!!
ReplyDeleteOh yes. Those targeted ads are really creepy. I’ve read that even after signing off, if you don’t remove the account from your device, FB can track your online activity.
DeleteI have only used eBay to sell some items, usually cameras or small electronics, like my older MacBook Air which was replaced last year. Thankfully, I have not had any issues as everything sold has been something that I know is in good working condition. I am not on FB so cannot comment on the marketplace. I have heard there are other ways to sell/donate items. Now, I just donate or give away books and other household items. We have several thrift stores here so I can pick which one should get certain item(s). The passion fruit does look very large, and I wondered how much longer it will take until it turns yellow so you can enjoy it. Congrats on getting the syllabi done before the start of classes. That must be a big relief!
ReplyDeleteI have only sell on Amazon, but have bought things from eBay and Craigslist. On all those platforms you don’t sell / buy under your real name, so I feel safer.
DeleteI love lantana and have a yard filled with it.
ReplyDeleteI have sold things on the Facebook sale sites, but will only meet in a well populated and visible location or at our local police station (They encourage transactions there)
Lantana attracts lots of butterflies. I saw different colors of lantana at the gardening center, and would like to have more later on.
DeleteI have strict privacy settings on Facebook, but still I’m hesitant to use its marketplace. Using a police station for transactions is a very good idea.
What a beautiful old tree!
ReplyDeleteWonderful to accomplish much!
I'd never try to have a yard sale! Wayyyy tooo much work for what one gets out of it. :-) IMHO that is.
I'd not want to use some of those "how to sell stuff" things. Not want people coming to house. Or knowing one's address. Or etc. Again, not worth it, to me.
✨🍑✨
Yes Wisps, I also don’t want people coming to my house. So I decided to donate as much as possible. 😊
DeleteI love it when my seeds sprout! Such a pleasure. You have had a busy week! Don't worry about the passionfruit: when they ripen you will have LOTS
ReplyDeleteI hope birds won’t eat them first. 😁
Deletehi Nil
ReplyDeletelantana is a noxious weed here in australia so we have to get rid of it when we find it! it takes over everything. perhaps you have different species there? just wondering about the passionfruit? we pick them when they are deep dark purple/brown on the outside and verrrry wrinkled. the wrinklier the better:-) Great to get lots done...cheers sherry
Sherry, yes Lantana camera is invasive, but even it is not on the noxious weed list here.
DeleteThe ones I planted were sold at the gardening center, and it’s a hybrid, so I don’t think it’s invasive like lantana camara.
Your backyard looks so nice! I usually plant lantanas on pots and not directly on the ground. Will be glad to hear how yours are doing later. Passionfruit? Whau that's beautiful! It can not grow here in ND. Making food ahead a time is always a good thing. It will help you to be more relaxed. I like your peppers! Have a wonderful week!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Angela. It’s been raining heavily here, so plants are all thriving now. 😊
DeleteGentle hugs...
ReplyDelete✨🍑✨
Interesting peppers! I will like to see that mango plant as it grows. Andrea
ReplyDeleteOh wow, I’m so jealous of your harvest.
ReplyDelete