I can't believe it's already August! It's been a month since I came back from vacation. Time flies so fast.
This past week was more productive than the previous one. I was able to do some yard work, school work and also took a day trip with a friend.
I love visiting small towns. While searching online for small towns in Florida, I read about Micanopy, a small town near Gainesville, with a population of around 600. I've been wanting to go there for months, and had to postpone the trip for several reasons. Finally a friend and I traveled there a couple of days ago. Until I was there I didn't realize how small the town was. In the historic district there are several antique stores, the town hall and the library, a couple of cafes, a small museum , a bed & breakfast and a couple of churches. Most stores were closed, maybe they didn't expect a lot of customers on a weekday morning.
We had pastries and coffee at one of the cafes, walked around the town until the museum opened at 1 pm. I like history and architecture, so I really enjoyed the trip.
After postponing for a couple of weeks, finally I got the car maintenance done. I also upgraded my AAA membership from Basic to Plus because it offers towing up to 100 miles. The car insurance premium for next 6 months is due this month and it has increased by $17. Not a huge amount, but it all adds up. July electric bill was high though I did expect that. I have been using AC a lot lately. I need to look at the monthly budget again and adjust it accordingly.
I didn't do much in the yard. I sprouted three mango seeds, and planted them in small pots. I also transplanted several papaya trees.
I decided to cancel Netflix subscription. I felt there was not a lot to watch there anymore. I didn't like most of Netflix originals. I like watching British mysteries and thought of subscribing for BritBox or Acorn TV. Then I decided to buy a Roku player for $30, and there's no monthly subscription. I downloaded Hoopla Digital which is free through our library system. I can watch 12 free movies/TV shows etc. each month. It's more than enough for me. I've been watching several BBC shows; Inspector Linley and Cranford.
Inspired by Bless's decluttering, I also decluttered 14 books. All these were from the bookcase full of books 'to be read'. Since I didn't even touch the books for years I decided to donate them to the library book store. They are already in two bags, but I think I should put them in the car. Otherwise they might find their way back into the shelves! 😏😏
Classes start in two weeks. So I must stop lollygagging and get some work done. I completed 3 syllabi and there are 3 more to go. And more lesson plans for the online class....
1) Finish weeding the flower bed. - Not done.
2)
3)
4)
Next week's to-do list:
1) Prepare raised beds.
2) Weed and fertilize the flowerbed.
3) Finish course syllabi.
XX
Nil



Little towns are a hoot to explore. I think there is an Amish community (north/central?) not for sure - that might be fun to visit. Not sure where you are. I had a friend who grew up in Satsuma and I think it wasn't terribly far from there. Enjoy your last two weeks!
ReplyDeleteLady Locust, yes there is an Amish vacation town called Pinecraft near Sarasota. Actually you mentioned it once, that’s how I remember it. 😊
DeleteI don’t know where Satsuma is. I’ll check.
Sounds like you've had a busy week! What a fun little town to visit!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you upgraded your auto club membership to include the additional towing coverage. Maybe what you saved by cancelling your Netflix subscription can help with the increase in the car insurance premium.
Well done on the book decluttering!
I hope you enjoy these last two weeks of vacation before classes start! Hope your week goes well and you accomplish all what you hope to do. :)
Yes Bless, Netflix cancellation covers the increase in both insurance premium and AAA membership, which is nice. 😊
DeleteBeing an Aussie, I just loved seeing your photos of Micanopy, small historical towns are fascinating and I enjoyed seeing the Stagecoach stop sign. It seems to be the same here that a lot of the antique and secondhand stores in smaller communities don't open until the afternoon, or maybe not at all somedays. One day I will visit some of those little towns in the US and would love to visit Amish territory. We enjoy watching British mysteries as well Nil, some of them are the best, even if the accents are sometimes a challenge to understand. I know how hard it is to declutter books, if I don't put them in the car straight away, I think about them and slowly they creep back to the shelves:) Have a great week, Pauline
DeleteHi Pauline, I think Micanopy will be more active and more stores will be open when fall semester starts because it is several miles from Gainesville where there's a large university. On the other hand, I enjoyed the quietness of the town.
DeleteI put the books in the car! Now I have to take it to the library soon. :)
I only heard the term 'lollygagging' yesterday, and here you are using it today!
ReplyDeleteHahaa what a coincidence :)
DeleteI love going to small towns and browsing.
ReplyDeleteWe are thinking about getting rid of our cable and trying Youtube tv. I keep my Netflix subscription mainly because I let two of my sons use it and they both love Netflix.
Good luck getting the remaining work toward the online class plan and remaining syllabi completed in record time!
It makes sense to keep Netflix if there are more people to watch. I only had cable tv when it was included in the rent of one of the apartments.
DeletePapayas are delicious. I hope the trees you transplanted thrive. Glad you had fun on your day trip!
ReplyDeleteSo far the papaya plants are drooping. I guess it was only transplant shock...
DeleteWe went through several small towns during our trip to Mount Rushmore last month. Each had its own charm. I also love museums about towns and local history. It sounds like you had a perfect day!
ReplyDeleteIt was, Anita. :)
DeleteI like places where there are no fast food restaurants, big box stores etc.
Is your blog print, being printed in a larger size??????? Oh I hope so!!!! It is delightful to read, in a bigger size. And funny thing, I have started to politely ask bloggers, to consider making their print, larger.... If it appears too small for me to easily read!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo I did a double-take, when I read here, and you had already done it!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But now, I'm afraid you will say, that it happened, without you knowing how it happened. -sigh- Oh wellll....
What a delightful town to visit!!!!! Ohhhh yesssss!
And yes, electrical bills will be higher, after the A/C use, I'm sure.
Again, so happy to have found larger blog print here. :-)))))
Gentle hugs...
Wisps, I intentionally used a large font. :)
DeleteI've been wanting to do it, but couldn't figure out how to set the using Theme Designer. So I did it manually. However, when I view the blog, I don't see the larger font. It's weird.
I even changed the entire layout, but still the blog appears on my laptop with a smaller font.
I know you have large font size. Do you change the size on each post as you write it?
Oh yes, I got rid of Netflix, some time ago. It seemed to be over-run with Crap-O-la. Still have Prime, which has lots of older British programing, which we love.
ReplyDeleteI too love British programming Wisps. :)
DeleteHi Nil, That looks like a fun trip. The trees are beautiful. I love old trees. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!
ReplyDeleteYes, Stephenie. It's a very old town, so there are huge old trees and old buildings. I saw the largest wild magnolia tree I've ever seen. :)
DeleteLooks like an adorable small town! It's amazing how quickly summer goes by... you're way ahead of me on prepping syllabi and stuff.
ReplyDeleteTime flies when I have fun! 😁
DeleteI like to give students about a week to read the syllabus and prepare before attending the first class. I don’t think most do that though....😁
Small towns are fun places to visit and we have been through a few, but there are so many more to see. Glad you had a nice road trip with your friend. I still have Netflix, but only the basic plan and admittedly don't use it as much as some people do. I have Acorn streaming and do enjoy it and have watched several good series, which unfortunately have not had any new episodes (bummer). I tried BritBox for the free 7 day trial and considered an annual subscrtiption, but then our library offered free streaming (10 videos) a month through Kanaopy. You should check out if your library also provides this streaming service as ours is free to patrons and you get 10 viewing credits per month.
ReplyDeleteOur library has Hoopla streaming service and I can watch 10 videos per month. 😊
DeleteWhen I retire, I’d love to take road trips like you. 😁
Hi, just in case, there is a Satsuma, Louisiana! Laura
ReplyDeleteThank you Laura. 😊
DeleteI googled and yes, there are Satsuma, FL and Satsuma, LA . It’s a very unusual name.
I love Hoopla! My library only allows 5 per month but the selection is good and you can't beat free! Bobi
ReplyDeleteAt first I thought 12 free movies per month is more than enough. But I already watched 11 BBC productions this month. That’s what happens when I’m home. 😁
DeleteYou are so right, we can’t beat free, and 12 or even 5 is better than nothing.