Thursday, March 21, 2019

Thinking of Dad

Today is my dad's birthday. He would have been 72 years old. 

Dad passed away three years ago, just two weeks after his birthday. 


Dad was the only child in his family. His mom died when he was teenager. He used to talk about his mom, and described her as a very kind woman. My paternal grandfather was a  businessman and wanted his only son to join the  family business. Though dad had wanted to study engineering he had to obey his father's wishes. His father's controlling manners affected dad deeply.  When I was growing up, dad always said that he would trust me to make my own decisions. I think he understood how important it was to give children freedom to grow, without expecting them to be parents' mirror images.

Dad was a very kindhearted man, who would have given his last penny to someone in need. I can't remember him raising his voice to me even once. He could fix any thing - whether it is electrical, plumbing, auto, carpentry - and I used to watch his projects and learn. While my mom said  "a girl should know how to cook and sew", dad taught me how to change a bulb, fix a leaky faucet and showed me how to build electric circuits for my undergraduate projects. He loved Indian food and used to make them often. He didn't believe in traditional gender roles, and I think his attitude influenced me greatly. 

I know he would have preferred to see me living close to home, but  he gave me his blessings when I decided to leave the country for higher studies. He was very proud of what I accomplished. Perhaps deep down he might have wanted to see his daughters getting married, to see grandchildren, but he never forced me to do anything I didn't want to do. I'm forever grateful for his unconditional love and support. Dad died just 2 1/2 months before my sister's wedding. I wish so much that he had been there to see at least one of his daughters as a bride.

I miss talking to him, hearing him laugh. I miss his hugs. I wish I could have been with him during his last hours. He had come home after a week of hospital stay. We talked on the phone, and had to hang up after a short while, because he was having breathing difficulties. A couple of hours later, he was taken back to the hospital. That night was the worst night in my life. I was on the phone with my sister who was at the hospital, a doctor and a nurse who explained to me about the life support, and the other sister who was out of country  for a workshop. I was hoping that I could be there before it was too late. But it was too late. I feel terribly guilty for not been there when he died. Sometimes I still count hours to see if there had been anyway to be there within a day. Logically I know it's impossible. But sometimes I wonder if I could have done things differently. If only I had gone back after my studies. If only I had brought him here for a visit before he got sick. Whenever I think of that day, my eyes well up and I feel a huge lump burning in my throat. 

Link
I believe he still watches over me and guide me. Sometimes I talk to him quietly, and ask for his blessings.  I'm forever grateful for his unconditional love, and for the freedom he gave me to choose my own path.

Happy birthday thaththi 💓

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤




40 comments:

  1. I do understand your thoughts and feelings. A couple of days ago I woke thinking I needed to call Dad. After a couple of seconds of being awake I realized I had just been dreaming of calling him. I used to think when people said they thought of a loved one every single day they were just exaggerating to make a point, but now I realize just how true that statement is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anne. It is so true. I'm so sorry I can understand how much you must miss your dad.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your Dad! Don't beat yourself up for not being with him when he passed. A friend told me once that things happen when they're supposed to happen and if you're supposed to be there, you will be, if you're not there, you were not meant to be there. I've discovered this is true and it makes it easier to accept things you simply can't change. I'll bet your Dad wouldn't want you agonizing over this three years later. Ironically, today is also my Dad's birthday so we have something in common. Take care, Bobi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday to your Dad, Bobi!
      Sometimes I try to think that way, that's how it was supposed to be. You are right, I know for sure that Dad wouldn't want me to feel guilty about not being there.

      Delete
  3. He looks so kind. That was my first impression of him when I looked at your photo. How wonderful that he supported you in your career and life choices. I'm sure he is very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stephenie. He was an incredibly kind man. He always saw the good in people and sometimes people even took advantage of him because of that.

      Delete
  4. Dear Nil - Your father sounds like a wonderful man. I hope all of your wonderful memories of him are a comfort to you today and always.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have no idea how close we are in things that happened. I had the same kind of dad-exactly....AND I was 1500 miles away when he died in the middle of the night. He was supposed to come home from the hospital the next morning. My heart still aches to think he died alone. I was 21 years old and there is not a day goes by that I don't think about him. I feel your pain. love to you- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sounds like a wonderful man. You must miss him terribly. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nil, your dad wasn't all that old. It is such a shame you lost him when you did. Thankfully you have such happy memories of him to comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chel. Even though he had health problems in the last several years, I never thought he would leave us that soon.

      Delete
  8. Oh my Dear, how lucky you are, to have had such a wise and wonderful man, as your father.

    And this is a lovely tribute to him.

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. what wonderful memories you have of him. that is a blessing in itself. how lucky you were to have him.
    regards
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your thaththi has a lovely gentle face, and what a wonderful loving tribute you've written about him. I can understand you wanting to rewrite those days, wondering if you could get to him in time. Perhaps it would be healing for you to write it down, as you would've liked it to be......what you'd say to each other, the things your mother and sisters would've said and done., what it would've been like to say that last goodbye.....a puja for honouring him and your grief and guilt. Hugs for you Nil, as you reminisce and enjoy your memories of him. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nanette.
      Yes may be I should write down how I feel and how I would have like it to be. I'm someone who tend to bottle up sadness and perhaps it would help me.

      Delete
  11. Awww what a wonderful tribute to your dad, he sounds like the Best Dad in the World and you've been so lucky to have him teach you so much in the time you had with him. Dont be sad, be joyful and rejoice with his being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bridget. Yes I was so lucky to have such a father.

      Delete
  12. Nil, what a lovely, heart-felt tribute to your father. I truly enjoyed reading about him. It sounds like he was a very gentle person and, obviously, a very loving and supportive parent.

    "If only" ... they are, I think, the saddest words in the English language. Those words convey our deepest regrets, don't they? Try not to feel guilty that you weren't able to be there when he passed away. You did the best you could; he would have known that you were there, with him, in your thoughts.

    May you be comforted by your memories of your father, by the fact that you got to grow up with him being there for you for as long as you did, by the knowledge that he supported and encouraged you in your decisions, that he loved you and was proud of you and your achievements, and that you spoke with him on the phone, shortly before he died.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like your father was a wonderful man. You were (still are) blessed to have him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. (((((Nil))))) Your Dad sounds like such a good person and great parent. To offer our children unconditional love is one of the greatest gifts we can give them. Your memories are precious and I hope they will comfort you during those times of sadness when you miss him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your father sounds like a father every child dreams of. Gentle, encouraging, kind, open-minded and so much more. I hope you find some comfort in knowing that and having experienced his love and nurture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a good father! I'm sure he was so proud of you being so independent...that is the goal of parents for their children. And I'm sure he understood you did the best you could at the time and now is waiting for you to see him in eternity. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you talk softly to him. I always tease and say, I talk to the dead people from my family more so than the ones alive. There actually is some truth to that. I know they are constantly interested in what we are up to. Muawhhhh... Raquelxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Dad sounds like an amazing man and wonderful father, Nil. Your poignant words speak to the love you have for him and how you hold him within your heart. I'm sure he held you always within his heart too. Meg Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hugs Nil.. your father sounds like an amazing man. I don't know if the pain of losing someone you love ever goes away, but I'm sure he would want you to forgive yourself of the guilt of not being there and all the what ifs that haunt you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. I'm sure he would never blame me for not being there. But I'm very good at playing what ifs with myself. I hope one day I'll be able to accept what I couldn't change and find peace with it.

      Delete
  20. I am late in reading this, Nil, but so glad I took the time to check on previous posts as it was a lovely tribute to a father you obviously loved (and were loved by) very much. As another person said, you should not beat yourself up over not being there when he passed. The same thing happened to me in the case of both my parents. Yes, I do feel badly but remembering them is more important than berating ourselves. The good times spent together are fr more important and memorable in the long run and you obviously have great memories of your father when he was living...so be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. You are so right, good memories are more important in the long run.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻