Sunday, March 24, 2019

Weekly Update


I had a very busy week. 

The busyness was mainly work related. The new online course is finally on the Fall class schedule, so I must stop procrastinating. 😶 I was able to finish grading two tests before the weekend, and on Saturday I participated in a clean up event at the college.  There was a lot of weeding, pruning and planting flowers.  I was able to impress a bunch of students with my shovel wielding and hole digging skills. 😃 
I didn't do any weeding in the yard, but the lawn guy cleaned up the front yard flower bed for me. 

The Lubber Grasshoppers are back! Yikes! They are all over mustard greens and ornamental plants. From what I read, they have preferred plants (lettuce, kale, cabbage etc.) and don't like tomatoes much. I don't want to use insecticide, and the only other way to manage them is to catch and remove them from the yard. I don't want to touch them so I decided to let them eat whatever they want. Like my sisters say, they also have to live, right?

Elderberry flowers.

One of my colleagues is moving to a new house with no yard, so he offered their drip irrigation system to me. 



The key fob of my car had been acting up, and finally stopped working. I changed the battery, still it didn't work. Then I checked the battery with a multimeter to make sure it had enough voltage. It did have 3 volts. New key fobs are expensive, especially at the dealer. I was almost ready to buy a new one. Finally I decided to take it to a battery store, just to make sure that the battery was ok. The guy at the store confirmed the battery was good, and said probably it was not making contact with the circuit underneath. After spending 10 minutes or so, he fixed the metal contacts. He didn't even charge a fee.  When I asked if they could order a new key he said they could, and it would be around $180 including programming. It's cheaper than the dealer's price (close to $300), but I didn't order one. For now, I'm glad I have a working key fob and didn't have to spend any money. Sometimes we pay more for convenience. I like being able to unlock the car as I walk to it, rather than using an old fashioned key. I find it safer, especially when the parking lot is dark and empty in the late evening.  

I cooked mushrooms, cabbage, okra, sausage with bell peppers, lentil curry, and brown rice for the week. I also have vegetable soup and two slices of leftover homemade pizza. I think I will have pizza for dinner tonight.

How was your week? Did you cook anything special this weekend? Do you have a drip irrigation system? 

Results of this week's to-do list: 
1) Practice chain stitch.
2) Weeding.
3) Sow Chinese cucumber seeds.
4) Exercise. - Not done. Does digging holes count? 😉
5) Sleep 7 hours.

Next week's to-do list:
1) Sow seeds.
2) Make a batch of soap.
3) Practice chain stitch.
4) Exercise.
5) Sleep 7 hours.


XX
Nil


24 comments:

  1. Hi Nil, That bird is gorgeous! Sorry to hear about the car repair. It's good that you have savings. That was nice of the man who helped you not to charge you for his time. No, I don't have a drip system. I water by hand. Yes, digging holes definitely counts as exercise! I did a lot of weeding yesterday. I a;sp made chicken enchiladas, and they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephenie, I think the bird is an egret.
      I've never made enchiladas, I should try it one of these days. :)

      Delete
  2. You did have a busy week! Yes, digging holes definitely counts as exercise! I'm glad you were able to get the key fob to the car fixed at no cost!

    How nice to have received the drip irrigation system! I don't have one, but I should! It is recommended for our arid climate. I water the front garden with a garden hose, by hand (although I do have a sprinkler system), and use the sprinklers at the back (less time consuming than watering by hand).

    Sorry about the grasshoppers! Maybe, if they don't like tomatoes, you can plant some tomato plants with your mustard and hope they leave the mustard alone?

    I didn't do much cooking this weekend, but I cooked a fish curry - enough to share with my cousin who will go with me to the eye doctor's tomorrow.

    Hope you have a good week ahead. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the drip irrigation system. I think it will save me both time and money (as long as it doesn't leak. My colleague said he had a leak once and used too much water.)

      I hope your eye exam went well, Bless. Fish curry sounds yummy. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you found someone who could get your key fob to work. Saving $180 is fantastic. I wish we needed an irrigation system.... it rains so much in Scotland, we rarely need to water the garden. Last year was an exception.

    I am the queen of procrastination.... I have a new online course starting in three weeks and it is still under development! I should really be working rather than reading blog posts :-)

    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will get the course work done in time Christina. :)
      In my case because this is my very first online course I'm supposed to work with an online course facilitator, so I have deadlines. :(

      Delete
  4. I have a drip system and love it, well, except for those times that the timer fails and it doesn't shut off, so be sure to check it occasionally. I also had problems with a key fob, changed the battery and nothing. I had two fobs, so I just switched to the other one, but it's good to know that it might just be the battery connection. Digging definitely counts as exercise, I counted grout scraping as exercise for the past week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jules my colleague said he once had a small leak from the main line and it wasted a lot of water. I will make sure to check for leaks and the timer.

      Ahh I remember how hard I worked when I did the tiling. Grouting (even scraping it) is definitely an intense form of exercise. :)

      Delete
  5. Digging definitely counts as exercise!
    The bird is beautiful. I spent the weekend at the lake place and the water birds were gorgeous, very busy nesting, and feeding their little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bird is an egret. I too love bird watching. Because there's a lake nearby, there are many beautiful birds in my yard. :)

      Delete
  6. Yes, digging counts as exercise!! We have an automatic irrigation system in our small yard with lots of drip line. It is very nice to have that part of gardening taken care of especially when we are away. Good luck with the grasshopper fight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so nice of the gentleman to work on your key fob for you and fix it. That goes above and beyond in my book. Mine has a crack in it and doesn't always want to work lately. I have another one, which Bailey keeps with her, and I might exchange it with hers as she rarely uses hers for my car.

    Are the elderberries from your garden? Any plans to make elderberry syrup with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Belinda. I have one elderberry tree. It's full of flowers now. I plan to collect berries and freeze them until I have enough to make elderberry cordial. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Nil, long time since I have paid you (or anyone) a visit. I have an unexpected blogging break...

    You were so lucky to be given the automatic irrigation system. They save so much time and the plants do so much better when they are used. Hubby put irrigation piping in my front garden this summer and the plants love it. Not automatic though, I still get exercise walking to the taps to turn them on :)

    Of course digging counts as exercise, so give it a tick lol!

    Funny how we rely on things so much these days and when they don't work we wonder how we lived without them. So glad you were able to get your key fob working again.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see you back, Tania. :)
      I too hope the drip irrigation system saves time. Most days it's too dark when I come home, so I don't water plants as often as I'd like. The drip irrigation system should solve that problem. :)

      Delete
  9. Nil, glad to read that the fob was repaired at far less cost than anticipated. Always good news when we find a less costly alternative and now you also know where you can get one when and if needed. This weekend I made a shepherd's pie which we enjoyed for 2 meals with a side salad each time. Another meal was penne pasta, shrimp and asparagus. I have lentils and need to find recipes for them as well and know there are a lot online, just been rather lazy to look. Those grasshoppers can be very invasive and destructive to plants I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All your meals sound delicious. I love shepherd's pie. But I haven't made one by myself yet.

      I'm going to try vodka on grasshoppers. Your recent post gave me the idea. :)

      Delete
  10. I like your yard photos! So nice to see. Those grasshoppers! A shame. I could never be a farmer...I'd worry too much about stuff like that. That is so nice about the guy fixing the key! We just had to replace our battery (bought it at Walmart). New keys for these cars are so expensive. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone at the two branches of this battery place is so nice and helpful. I'm planing to buy a backup key from them later. :)

      Delete
  11. Yes, digging holes very much counts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Digging holes definitely counts, Nil;) Meg

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻