Sunday, March 10, 2019

Changing Clocks & Plans for Spring Break

Daylight saving time began this morning. I completely forgot about it and wondered how I slept until 8 am!  Did you change your clocks?  I like this time because there's still light around 7 pm and I can work in the garden after I come home from work.

This past week I tried two new recipes.
I made salmon curry according to Bless's mackerel curry recipe. It was delicious. I am going to try the same gravy with frozen flounder fillets, because so far I have never been able to cook frozen fish well.
I also made zucchini slice muffins. I wanted to try Meg's recipe, but I didn't have corn or ham. It was good, but could have been better.  I made small 12 muffins and one big one in a ramekin. Next time I will follow the recipe exactly.

Zucchini slice muffin.

Now I'm on my spring break. I have a whole week off. 💃💃💃
I have a bit too ambitious to-do list for the week. I'm planning to make coconut oil soap. This is going to be my third batch. I have been using homemade soap as gifts, and I'd like to have another batch ready to give to my family and friends when I visit them this summer.

On Saturday I bought two pots of yellow daisies from a local nursery. I like low maintenance perennials, and according to the owner of the nursery,  these grow well in full sun and doesn't need a lot of water. I wanted to add a bit of yellow color to the garden, so I decided to plant daises in two pots and place them in the front porch.  
I also want to start learning crochet. I have several needles, yarn and a book. So it's time to start learning the basics.

Because of my work schedule, I don't have a lot of time to do things around the house on weekdays. So it's nice to have a week off to get things done. And I'd like to read at least one book. And relax a bit. After all, it's spring break! 😊


Results of this week's to-do list:
1) Paperwork.
2) Mend clothes.
3) Wash dinning room window.
4) Transplant basil.
5) Do yoga.
6) Sleep 7 hours.


Next week's to-do list:
1) Write the online course syllabus.
2) Make coconut oil soap.
3) Start crochet lessons.
4) Plant daisies.
5) Do yoga.
7) Sleep 7 hours.


How was your week? Do you like daylight saving time?


XX
Nil



20 comments:

  1. We 'fall back' beginning of April. I do like it, same as you, because I can stay in the garden until cllose to 8oc and although it's not always cooler, my front yard's shady then and I can get a bit done. I like the look of your big muffin, did you eat it all in one go? Good luck with your to-do list but don't forget to relax and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big muffin is still in the fridge, Nanette. I've been eating small ones. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! Spring break! Now, don't try to fill up the week with household maintenance type projects! Take time to relax and enjoy, too. :) I'm glad the curry recipe worked out well for you. Your family is going to love receiving your homemade soap!

    I like daylight savings time and having more light in the evenings. Even if it messes up my sleeping patterns even more during the first few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already relaxing and enjoying the break, Bless. :) I'm a homebody, so even thinking about staying home for a week relaxes me. LOL

      Delete
  3. Our daylight saving starts at the end of the month. The days are so long in Scotland (we are 56 degrees North) that it seems superfluous really. I am with you when it comes to frozen fish, I never get it quite right. It always seems so watery but I don't like to squeeze it dry because it is quite a delicate meat. I hope you have a lovely week off. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Christina. I have the same problem. Thawed fish is too watery and no matter how long I pat them dry with paper towels, it never works for me.

      Delete
  4. Daylight Savings time is nice because it is lighter longer in the evening. It does make the day go by faster though. I hope you enjoy your spring break and get loads of things done. That's my plan for the week too. Your little muffin looks cute in his ramekin. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your spring break is going well, Belinda.
      I feel now the days are longer. Hehee

      Delete
  5. As you know, I don't like Daylight Savings Time. ,-))))) But I am in the minority. Especially people who work, and therefore are tied to the Clock, as to coming and going from work.

    Retired people can keep right on living by the sun/moon. :-) Except for appointments, or the time of a special program on tv.

    Interesting how Spring Break is taken different times, by different schools.

    Please review "The Other Einstein" ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very good at writing reviews, Wisps of Words. :) But I will try after I finish the book.

      Delete
  6. It was really dark for my 6am walk this morning, but I did get to see a beautiful sunrise. Daylight savings time takes a few days to get used to for me. And adjusting all the clocks is always a trial. But sunlight after dinner is always appreciated. Enjoy those yellow daisies and your week off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I don't go outside that early now. :)
      I just remembered that I still have to adjust the clock in the car.

      Delete
  7. So nice now its getting lighter, chance to get more outside work done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marlene. That's one thing I like about daylight saving time. :)

      Delete
  8. I like your lists! It's so much fun trying new recipes. The muffin looks appetizing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nil, I think you will really like the coconut soap. Sometimes I make mine with coconut milk or goat's milk. It's so creamy, and very hard and long lasting. I used to have yellow daisies here, and they were very easy and low maintenance. Now I have an edible landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how nice to have an edible landscape.
      Until I bought this house, I only grew things that I can eat. :) Now I'd like to have several low maintenance flowers in the front yard.

      Delete
  10. Your spring break sounds nice! I remembered about the time change....I really hate it!! So dark in the morning. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee I'm not an early riser anymore Andrea. So I don't mind dark mornings. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻