Sunday, March 17, 2019

The End of the Spring Break

The spring break is over and I'm going back to work tomorrow. I can't believe how fast the week passed by. 

Several library books were due on Friday, so I went to the library to drop them off. I knew I wouldn't have time to read more books (I'm still reading The Other Einstein), but once I'm at a library I always tend to borrow a stack of books. This time I borrowed two embroidery books and two decorating books. When I was a teenager I did hand embroidery on handkerchiefs,  pillow cases and nightgowns. I remember learning about different stitches when I was in grade 5. After reading the two library books, now I want to do some embroidery. The thing is, I have too many things I'd like to do, and too little time. Sigh....

Embroidery books. I love these hand sewn napkins & the tablecloth.

The last two days were not really productive.  I've been suffering with itchy eyes & nose, and at first I thought it was due to dust or pollen because I had been working outside. I am very sensitive to dust and pollen. Now I think I'm getting a cold. I'm not sure. 😔  Just in case, I made a pot of mom's home remedy, coriander and ginger tea. 

Coriander & ginger tea.

I started learning crochet. I'm learning the chain stitch. I need a lot of practice because I can't properly hold the yarn with my left hand yet. I think I will keep doing chain stitch until I can make chains with even tension, and then move to the next stitch. If you look closely you can see that the first few stitches are too tight. 

Making chain stitches.

The other day I picked several green beans. It's not much, but I can use them in a mixed vegetable curry. I also have a huge can of green beans. I bought before the hurricane season and should use it up before the expiration date. I'm not a fan of canned green beans because I find them too soft. May be it's the way I cook it. 

Homegrown green beans.

Overall it was not a bad week. It could have been more productive, but I took time to rest, read, and watch several shows on Netflix.  

Results of this week's to-do list: 
1) Write the online course syllabus.  Didn't finish, but I started it. 
2) Make coconut oil soap.
3) Start crochet lessons.
4) Plant daisies.
5) Do yoga. - I must find another way to exercise. Doing yoga has been hit or miss. 
7) Sleep 7 hours. - I've been sleeping ~ 6 1/2 hours or so. I have to get back to 7 hours.

Next week's to-do list: 
1) Practice chain stitch.
2) Weeding.
3) Sow Chinese cucumber seeds.
4) Exercise.
5) Sleep 7 hours.

Do you use canned green beans? How do you make it?

XX
Nil


P.S. I changed the settings to allow comments by anyone. Previously it was set only for Google users. If you find any problems when commenting, please let me know via 'Contact' form. 😊

34 comments:

  1. Hope the week revived your soul. Spring has bloomed (achoo) and it is gorgeous now. It is still a little to early for me to plant bedding plants, but I can at least get the beds ready. By my late Grandmother's rules, I have to plant my green beans on Good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I didn't know about that rule, Anne. :) I planted green beans sometime in last fall. Maybe that's why they are not doing well.

      Delete
  2. Well have a good end of spring break day! Books are so nice...sometimes nicer than actually doing the patterns, etc. I can single-crochet and that is all! I am thinking I don' t have the patience for knitting and crocheting. I have books on both, and keep saying maybe when I get real old I will have time to do them. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee Andrea, I keep saying to myself I'll have time to do all these things once I retire. :)

      Delete
  3. Those vacation days really seem to go by fast, don't they? But, I think you had a nice mixture of accomplishing things and relaxing, as that's important, too. Good idea to make the coriander tea; I hope it helps to ward off the cold.

    Well done with teaching yourself to crochet. I like that book giving instructions for both left handed and right handed people.

    I, too, don't like canned green beans all that much. But, when I do use them. I make a sauteed green beans (bonchi thel dala); minimal cooking time - saute the onions, first, then, add the green beans and spices and just cook only until the beans are heated through. They don't need a lot of cooking because they are already cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like canned green beans either and I don't think there IS a good way to fix them. lol

    Good for you for teaching yourself to crochet. That's impressive...one craft I have never done. You are like me-lots to do and not enough hours in the day.

    I tried to send you an email but it bounced back to me. Do you have an email you would share with me? I promise not to give it to any spammers. lol You can send it to dianakos1@gmail.com (if you feel comfortable doing that).

    Have a great week- Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why your email bounced back, Diana. I received several emails recently. Could you please try again the contact form? I want to fix it if there's any problem with the link.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on starting that syllabus, sometimes the starting is the hardest step. Spring break never seems to last long enough, but it sounds like you had a good one. I definitely understand the dilemma of having more interests than time, but I guess the good part is there's never a worry of not having something to do. I'm not a huge fan of canned green beans either, seems they are soft straight out of the can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. :) I was actually planing to do the syllabus and one chapter. I was too ambitious. :)

      Delete
  6. There is so much to enjoy in embroidery! I loved it until my hands couldn't do it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you can't do embroidery anymore, earthmotherwithin.

      Delete
  7. Very nice blog you have. Tomorrow, my daughter and I are going to set up a no dig garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Akashasjourney. No dig garden very sounds interesting. :)

      Delete
  8. Enjoy the crochet, Nil. It is much faster than knitting although I am not an expert at either craft. Enjoy being back at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel.
      My mom also said once I have enough practice crocheting would be faster. At the moment I'm slower than a snail. :)

      Delete
  9. Back to work already? Gosh that week flew by! I think you accomplished a lot and had a nice balance in what you did. I love to do embroidery, it's a relaxing pasttime, so I hope you give it a go. That rooster looks very cheery, and would be easy to do.....just an outline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nanette. I think time flies faster when we have too much fun. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Nil, You are going to be so happy in retirement, because you have so many hobbies. I hope you feel better. That tea looks very healthy. I am sensitive to pollen, too. I think I also need to dust my furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie. Whenever I have itchy eyes and start sneezing, the first thing I do is to change AC filter. I'm very sensitive to dust. Do you wear a mask when dusting? I do, and it helps a lot.

      Delete
  11. maybe you can replace your yoga bij Qicong exercise. on you tube there are exercises bij Lee Holden...morning and evening routines...10 or 20 minutes...worth a look i think. greetings from amsterdam, the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope you're feeling okay now. it's so good to have a list isn'it it? i love to write them then cross off what i've done. so satisfying. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sherry. I'm a list person. It's so satisfying to cross things off, one at a time.

      Delete
  13. The first few chain stitches always seem to come out too tight. Actually, a chain stitch to start a project needs to be a little loose in general because the next row is always fatter (so the piece will curl if the chain is too tight).

    I hope it's just allergies and that you're not catching a cold.:-(

    Have a great first day back at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's allergies. :( I'm a bit better now.
      Thank you for the tip, Priscilla. Yes, it did curl because at first I did it too tight.

      Delete
  14. Good for you for trying to learn crochet. It was part of the Home Ec course in 7th grade, but I haven't tried it since. It is on my list of things to learn someday. I am not a fan of canned vegetables in general with the exception of canned spinach sprinkled with red wine vinegar. Here's to your next break over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I've never tried canned spinach with red wine vinegar. That sounds very interesting. I normally don't buy canned spinach, but will try this one of these days.

      Ahhh the summer break! Only 2 months away. :)

      Delete
  15. Embroidery is something you can pick up and put down. Not necessary to keep at it, until finished. Or so it seems to me.

    Hope it is spring allergies!!! It issss spring! :-)

    Spring break is not a time to be productive! ,-) It's a time to enjoy, and let your batteries recharge, for the next season. And I think you did. Excellent!!!

    Keep thinking, it's dust/allergies!!!!!!!!! :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's allergies. Both pollen & dust. I have a very sensitive nose. :)

      Delete
  16. The tea sounds nice, I shall be making more homemade herbal teas this year.
    Just to let you know its Marlene previously from living simply living well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene. :) I checked 'A Simple Life' blog, but couldn't recognize you. I thought the bird looked familiar. Following you again. :)

      Delete
  17. Rather than use canned green beans, Nil, I use frozen ones. Nice to see that you already have some fresh ones, even if only a handful right now. Like yourself, I have also been trying for a minimum of 7 hours of sleep nightly and falling short, sometimes by only 15 minutes. I have a Fitbit which tracks sleep and it can be so annoying because it subtracts the time awake and so when you thought you were getting 7+ hours you find it was only 6-1/2 to 6-3/4. I decided to stop wearing it and am hopint to be asleep by 10:30-11 pm and awake by 7 am. I hope the tea makes you feel better as it would not be fun to have to return to work feeling badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. I feel a bit better now.

      I too prefer frozen green beans to canned ones, but I got this can for the hurricane season. Once I lost power for a couple of days after a hurricane and had to throw away all frozen food. So now I buy canned food for emergencies. :)

      I too have similar sleeping hours, from 10.30-11 pm to 6.45-7 am. I'm trying not to read in the bed, because it keeps me up late.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻