| My first crochet top. |
Learning to crochet was one of my 2019 goals. It's been about 6 months since I seriously started crocheting. You can see here what I've made so far.
Several weeks ago I decided to make a simple top, and found this pattern. I bought several skeins of yarn from my favorite thrift store. I read the pattern instructions to make sure it's doable. It has two identical rectangles, and no sleeves. And the two main stitches are single crochet and double crochet, with which I'm pretty familiar now.
I couldn't decide how to choose the correct size for me. You see, the instructions give both 'to fit bust size measurement' and 'finished bust' measurement. I'm size S according to 'to fit bust size measurement', and size XS according to 'finished bust' measurements. I decided to go with the larger size thinking it would be easier to make it smaller if needed.
I also did a gauge swatch.
Well, when I did about half of the first rectangle, it looked too big. I should have unraveled and started again, but like a knucklehead, I kept going. I thought I could sew the top and back with a larger seam allowance. I completely forgot that that's not how the side seams should be done. Also, somehow I missed several stitches and the sides got uneven. I was able to do the second rectangle with neat and even sides. However, when I put them on top of each other, I could see that one was slightly larger. So, attaching them with mattress stitches looked difficult. Then I went with my own plan and sew them together like a regular fabric top, with seam allowance. You cannot see it once the top is worn, but the inside seams are not very neat.
![]() |
| Uneven sides. |
I tried doing crab stitch around the arm holes and the bottom edge, but I couldn't do it neatly. So I finished the edges with just a row of single crochet stitches.
I sent several photos to my sisters, and they said the top was really pretty. They are happy to wear it even with the mistakes. 😊 I'm going to make another one in size XS because I have enough yarn.
What is the difference between 'to fit bust size measurement' and 'finished bust measurement'? According to the pattern, 'to fit bust size measurement' XS is 28"-30" and S is 32"-34" , while finished bust XS = 32" and S = 36". My bust is 32", so should I choose size XS, not S? I normally don't wear too loose clothes, and if I hadn't sewn the sides with seam allowance, the top would have been too loose for me. Even now, it's a bit too big.
I'm going to make another one in size XS because I have enough yarn. 😊
What is the difference between 'to fit bust size measurement' and 'finished bust measurement'? According to the pattern, 'to fit bust size measurement' XS is 28"-30" and S is 32"-34" , while finished bust XS = 32" and S = 36". My bust is 32", so should I choose size XS, not S? I normally don't wear too loose clothes, and if I hadn't sewn the sides with seam allowance, the top would have been too loose for me. Even now, it's a bit too big.
I'm going to make another one in size XS because I have enough yarn. 😊
Nil


Nil, it looks great! Congratulations! Your very first crocheted garment! A lot of patterns give the finished size to be a couple of inches bigger than your actual measurements. So, if you want the garment to be more fitted, go with the XS size (or go by the finished size). I think you did really well on your goal of learning to crochet! So proud of you!
ReplyDeleteThank you Bless. :)
DeleteI already started crocheting another one in XS.
It looks great. I love the shade of the yarn. X
ReplyDeleteThanks Jules. :)
DeleteOh, that's lovely. Well done for making such a beautiful top. I'm supposed to be learning to crochet and/or knit during 2020 and this pattern looks like something I could manage so I have added it to my folder.
ReplyDeleteEileen, yes this is a very easy pattern. I think once you know the basic stitches, this is an ideal pattern for a beginner.
DeleteHooray and it is lovely!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo much accomplishment. You decided to learn, and you did. And you even figured out how to correct! I'd say you really did great!
Congratulations!!!!!
"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir
And folks dressed up like Eskimos…"
♬ 🎶 ♫
Thank you Wisps. :)
DeleteThe top looks so good! Don't worry about a few mistakes, they really don't matter. The main thing is you're crocheting garments, and that is huge for someone who learned so recently. Yes, it sounds like XS is the size for you.
ReplyDeleteHave a great evening!
Thank you Toni. :)
DeleteI'm making another smaller top now. :)
Wow Nil. I'm still impressed with how well you've caught on and how nicely you do. Typically, according to what you have above, you would wear a small, but fashions change so go ahead with the XS. If it's an older pattern, finished size gives you about 2" 'wiggle room' once complete. Fits bust size is referring to your measurement. Clothes are worn tighter now than they were 10-20 years ago so you are really just modernizing the pattern a bit - good for you😊 Again, looks great!
ReplyDeleteThank you Lady Locust. I don't think the pattern is an older one, perhaps the designer made it with a bit of wiggle room. :)
DeleteI prefer not to wear loose clothes because I think they make me look skinnier than I actually am. Hehee
There is no substitute for experience. You have done so well, and although you are aware of the problems, I can't see them in the picture.
ReplyDeleteThanks earthmotherwithin.
DeleteYes, mistakes are hidden inside. :)
It looks great, Nil. Love the colour. So wonderful that you taught yourself a new skill and are learning so fast! Meg:)
ReplyDeleteThank you Meg. :)
DeleteGoodness me Nil, that is just beautiful. How clever are you...being a beginner and all. I think there is a lot to be said for practice. I am a bit hit and miss with crochet and am not very consistent but you have shown how far you have come in just a short time.
ReplyDeleteThank you Chel. :)
DeleteI started making another top. I think I'm addicted to crochet. LOL
Your top is terrific, we'll done. The different measurements are for 'ease, so the garment's comfortable to wear....if you want standard ease you use your bust measurement plus 2-4 inches, if it was a loose style you'd use your bust measurement plus 4-6 inches, or if you wanted a fitted look, your bust measurement minus 2-4 inches.....this is probably your as size. You might want more ease if you were making sleeves, as you'd need room to lift and bend your arms. You could google 'ease' because it's an important part of garment making and getting the fit you want. Look forward to seeing your next one.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the explanation, Nanette.
DeleteI decided to make another one in XS and see how it goes. :)
And then, I will make one with sleeves. :)
well the top looks good anyway! that's weird about the different bust size measurements. love all your clever crochet... cheers sherry
ReplyDeleteThank you Sherry. :)
DeleteI think Lady Locust explained the finished size measurements really well. You should embrace any mistakes in a finished piece because it shows how it was handmade, and that makes it SUPER COOL. It's a beautiful top and a pretty color!
ReplyDeleteThank you Priscilla. :)
DeleteThe top is lovely and if the model is really you-the color looks fabulous with your skin tone. Good advice on sizing from the other commentators.
ReplyDeleteThanks Anita. Yes, that's me. I rarely wear red, but I like this one. :)
DeleteYour top is beautiful!!! What a great job when you only recently learned to crochet. Figuring out how to make the pattern work for you turned out very well!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Diana. :)
DeleteI love the top you made, it is a good size on you. I see Nanette already explained sizing for you, she did a great job, so I won't add to the discussion. You have made such progress, I remember the first crochet post you wrote well :-)
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely weekend, maybe with some crochet time x
Thank you Christina. :)
DeleteI already started making a smaller top of the same pattern. :)
Hi Nil, I love your top. It's just beautiful. Yes, you are an XS. I am, too. I have done the same thing with some knit tops...back stitching the seam to take them in at the sides. That design is really pretty. It's simple but elegant. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThank you Stephenie. :)
DeleteIt looks so good, Nil. You must be so proud of yourself, that is a great accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteThanks Belinda. :)
DeleteI don’t anything about crocheting, Nil, but kudos to you on completing this project. I too really like the color which is perfect for the holiday.
ReplyDeleteThank you Beatrice.
DeleteI didn’t plan it, but yes, the color is very suitable for Christmas time. 😊
That's a great looking top, Nil. You did a wonderful job on it. I remember reading your posts when you just started to crochet and you have really become very accomplished.
ReplyDeleteThe color looks fabulous and the mesh top is perfect.
Great job!
Debra
Thank you Debra 😊
Delete