Sunday, December 8, 2019

A Photo Scavenger Hunt, Gift Swaps, & Other Happenings

Winter break is almost here! 💃💃💃

I finished grading all final exams, and tomorrow I can turn in the official grades. I do have a meeting on Saturday, but other than that, I don't have to go to work after Tuesday. 😃

It feels so good to see the end of another busy semester. I have so many plans for the break, but I know I shouldn't be too ambitious. 

I want to deep clean the kitchen. I already cleaned the refrigerator coils. I think I need to make a list of tasks and do one or two per day. 

I've been crocheting a sleeveless top, but it's going very slowly. So far, it's only 7 1/2 inches tall, while I need the top to be about 20 inches.


Crocheting the top.

The bag I'm using to keep yarn is from a member of the Homemakers forum.  There was a Christmas swap organized by the forum, and I asked for a non Christmas item. 

My swap partner L sent me this beautiful bag to keep my crochet. It's so useful to keep my current project together.

Crochet bag from L.

L also asked for non Christmas item, so I made  a mug rug. It's all hand stitched. I used two different fabric - a solid blue on one side, and a printed one on the other. Then I appliqued a pitcher on each side. 

What I made for L as a part of the Homemakers forum Christmas swap.

I also added this bookmark.

Crocheted bookmark.

I love participating in swaps. Several months back, there was a postcard swap on the forum, and I received these beautiful, handmade items from J in UK. 

A handmade card, a brooch and a small ornament. 

I use the brooch on one of my handbags. 


I sent J two postcards and a crocheted dishcloth. 😊

I love being a member of the online community of forums and blogs. I always learn new things, and get to know new friends from all around the world. A couple of years ago I even met some Homemakers forum members in person, when I was in Australia.  Recently I joined a photography scavenger hunt hosted by Eileen at A Bracelet of Days. Bless at My Two Cents mentioned about the hunt, and I thought it would be fun to participate in something new. The scavenger hunt runs from December 1st to March 31st. I printed out the list of prompts, and already took one photo. 😊 I plan to do a post at the end of each month to show the photos. 

I didn't do anything in the yard. It was too cold. I really have to plant mustard greens in the raised bed. The night jasmine plant that I received from a member of the regional gardening group is dying. One cold night I forgot to bring it inside. 😢

This week's to-do list:
1) Plant mustard greens. Not done. 

Next week's to-do list:
1) Plant mustard greens.
2) Clean the fridge.
3) Clean the stove. 

XX

Nil 

41 comments:

  1. Your crocheting is so nice and even! Also, I've never heard of a photo scavenger hunt- will be curious to see your photos 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your swaps are delightful. I once participated in a Christmas card swap and it was a lot of fun.
    Roll on winter break. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, swaps are fun. I like making things, so I participate in craft swaps. 😊

      Delete
  3. "i cleaned the refrigerator coils'!!!! Well I never! Never have I even thought to do that, but it makes sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clean fridge coils once a year, earthmotherwithin. It increases the efficiency.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you are joining the photo scavenger hunt! It's a lot of fun. In fact, your top picture on this post might be a good candidate for prompt #1! :) I like that mug rug you made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah to the end of term! I have another week to go unfortunately.

    Photo scavenger hunts are fun, I used to participate in a monthly one many moons ago. I am a bit lazy now with my camera. I look forward to seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat swap. I like doing those too. I'm doing one with My Frugal Home this month, it will be the second year I've done that one. They can be so much fun.

    Lucky you, almost done with the semester. I know how exciting that can be. I hope you have a terrific break

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty crocheting! Gone are the days where I wait for a winter break for my kids. I know you will enjoy yours! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your crocheted top is coming along. The stitches are so even and pretty. I really like the brooch. I wouldn't have thought to put it on a purse, but it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Priscilla. I finished one side of the top, and now in the process of crocheting the other. It’s identical so it’s an easy pattern.

      Delete
  9. Hi Nil!
    Yay for the upcoming break, hope you manage to get all you want done.
    Love the color and pattern for your top. Your crochet stitches look so even.
    Have a great week!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toni.
      I hope to finish the top before the break is over. 😊

      Delete
  10. Your crochet top looks beautiful. What lovely swap gifts. I have done a few of them and always received such nice things. Off to vacuum the coils of my refrigerator!!!!! I have a special brush just for that chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to see about a special brush for cleaning fridge coils. I used different nozzles of my shop vac, but it was not very easy. Thank you for the tip, Anita.

      Delete
  11. Ohhhh, what is a mug rug??????? I have never heard of such. -smile-

    Lovely projects.

    Hooray for school break time!!!!!!!

    Please don't just do tasks. Do some fun things too.

    "Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way..."
    ♬ 🎶 ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I’m already having fun, Wisps. 😁

      A mug rug is a smaller version of a placemat to keep a cup of tea and a pice of cake or some other snack. 😊

      Delete
  12. Your bag is so pretty, it's a great swap gift, and I like the gifts you sent too. Swaps are fun, although I haven't done any since we were partnered in the Forum Christmas swap a few years ago. I've just hung the little felt decorations you made for me on my tree! Don't forget to have a rest and relax on your winter break as well as chores, go do something fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m planing a day trip with a friend, Nanette. And I’m already having fun doing crochet. 😊

      I still have the bunting you sent to me. 😊

      Delete
  13. Such beautiful handmade items! Your crocheted top is coming along nicely. It's so exciting to wear clothes that you have made yourself. They last and last, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Stephenie, I can’t wait to wear by very first crochet top. 😊

      Delete
  14. Such lovely swap gifts, Nil. I think receiving handmade things, that others put such time and thought into, is quite special. I hope you enjoy your holidays and do lots of things you enjoy as well as those chores you want to get done. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely gifts from the forum swap, Nil. I have received some beautiful gifts over the years in swaps both on the DTE and Homemakers Forums and have made some wonderful friends too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chel. I am so glad that I found DTE just one year before it closed, and am enjoying being a member of the Homemakers forum too. Though I haven’t been very active lately. 😊

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed reading about and seeing the swap gifts, Nil. They looked lovely and useful as well, a great combination. I may check out the photography scavenger forum you mentioned. Hope you have a relaxing break from school, although I know you will be working on my projects as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoops meant to say many projects because of course, you won't be working on my projects...but then you asre always welcome to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh all the lovely craft here Nil. such a cute bookmark and brooch. wow how industrious are you - cleaning the fridge coils! good on ya. what is a mug rug?:-) have a wonderful christmas break. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, a mug rug is a smaller version of a placemat to keep a cup of tea and a pice of cake or some other snack.

      I clean fridge coils once a year, to increase it’s efficiency. 😊

      Delete
  19. The boolmark is so so cute and I love the color of the top you are creating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. such lovely things that you are making and swapping. sounds like fun

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also love this community, but I’m having a rough time with that photo challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some prompts of the photo scavenger hunt are a bit challenging. I'd like to find things outside the home, so it will take time. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻