Sunday, December 15, 2019



Though the final exams were done last week, I had to go to work three times this week. So I think the winter break officially starts tomorrow (Monday). 😊

There are only two weeks left in this year! One of my financial goals was to pay extra on the mortgage each month, but I didn't continue after two payments. So, this week I paid an extra $250. I'd like to pay off the mortgage in 10 years, if possible. But I don't want to use all my savings to pay the mortgage. So I have to find the right balance. I've read some financial advisers say it's good to pay off the mortgage early, while the others say it's better to invest that money to get a better return. I am extremely debt averse, so I prefer not having a mortgage. I need to find the right balance and do both. 

Internet bill increased by $15/month. I called the customer service to see if they can give me a discount, as they did so the last time. But the customer rep was not helpful. I called again, the next day. This time I called the cancellation department, and after several sale pitches (upgrade my current plan, and trying to sell me a TV package and a cell phone plan), finally they gave me a discount of $10/month. And I refused to change the current plan. So, that's a saving of $120 in 2020! 😊


Butter & Marmite on toast. 

I planted mustard greens, and more Brussels sprouts in raised beds. Several weeks ago I bought a Surinam cherry (Eugenia uniflora) plant from a plant sale. This week I planted it near the side fence. We had two rainy days, so I didn't have to water the plants. 

I also cleaned the stove. I always clean the top of the stove after cooking, but not the sides or the hood. So I pulled the stove out, and cleaned the dust. I also wiped the sides and the hood. It's amazing how much grime can accumulate over time. I did not clean the fridge. I was planing to do it today, but I fell asleep on the sofa, and then was not in a mood to do any cleaning after I woke up. Instead I did more crocheting. I have already completed one piece ( I am going to use it as the back piece), and am now making the second one. They are identical. 

As I'm writing this, six ramekins of crème caramel are in the oven. When I'm at home I tend to eat more. The other day when I was at the store, I bought a Panattone.  Have you ever made it at home? I love it, and am wondering if I should try to make one one of these days. I have a very long list of 'things to do one of these days'... and it keeps getting longer and longer..😀

crème caramel in the oven.

Have a wonderful week, everyone. 🌻🌻🌻

This week's to-do list:
1) Plant mustard greens.
2) Clean the fridge. - Not done.
3) Clean the stove. 

Next week's to-do list:
1) Clean the fridge.
2) Clean kitchen cabinets.

XX
Nil


30 comments:

  1. I have one of those lists too Nil:-). Ah, Christmas break- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty wildflowers! The bigger white flowers look like they might be Bidens pilosa (known by several names such as Shepherd's Needles, Spanish Needles, Common Beggar's-Tick). Sorry, but, every now and then, the botanist in me makes an appearance! :D I don't care much for Marmite, but, I might be interested in those caramel puddings! :D

    I am not a financial expert by any means, but, if your mortgage interest is a fixed rate, then, I would suggest building up a savings account first over paying off the mortgage. Once you have an emergency fund of at least 3 months (some suggest 6 months) of living expenses, then, you can start paying off the mortgage.

    You did well to finish the back of your crochet! You'll have that blouse finished before long.

    Enjoy your winter break, but, don't fill it up with a lot of cleaning jobs (even if they are needed). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the gardeners in the area told me that the white flowers were bidens alba. It's an edible weed. I sometimes add a handful of leaves when I make mixed greens.

      I have an emergency fund. The thing is, I have many different savings accounts- for insurance, home repairs, travel etc. So, after saving in each one, there's not much left for extra mortgage payments. :)

      Delete
  3. Your persistence paid off regarding your Internet bill, good for you! The creme caramels look beautiful and delicious, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I really dislike calling customer service. But it paid off this time. :)

      Delete
  4. Smart of you to pay extra towards your mortgage! And to get that internte bill discount! They always seem to go up in price...you'd think they'd go down after a while! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pretty flowers. After we bought our little farm it was a while before we were able to pay extra on the mortgage, but we paid it off long before the end of the fifteen year loan. We don't like debt, either. :) The créme caramel looks delicious. Can't wait to see your top finished.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's also my my plan, Toni. To pay the 15 year mortgage sooner. :)

      Delete
  6. Well done for getting the deal that is just right for you!

    I made a panettone a few years ago, it was not a success because at that time I didn't have a food processor with a dough hook. Panettone dough is very soft and sticky (like brioche dough) and a pain to knead by hand. I love panettone.

    Here's to the end of term! Glad you are finished and able to enjoy your time off. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see panattone at stores only during Christmas time. So I get to eat it only once a year. In a way, it's good because I don't think eating too much panattone is good for my health. :)

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your break! Professors work so hard during the term. Good for you on getting the internet company to lower your rate. It is so frustrating to have to call multiple times. Paying off the mortgage early is a good goal to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anita. I normally don't like calling customer service. They only give a discount if they think you are going to cancel the service. I was ready to do that, because the internet bill was getting ridiculously expensive.

      Delete
  8. Looked up Panattone. Being as it is an Italian dessert, I fear I don't like it. I find those desserts, to be dry. And guess I prefer not-dry-desserts. -smile- Would love your crème caramel though!

    Hooray for vacation! Hope you get things done, but also hope, you rest and do fun things. It is a time to re-charge one's batteries, as it were. And that is best done, by fun.

    You have a wonderful ethic of being adverse to debt. Never let it leave you. You are so far "ahead of the game," with this mind set.

    Enjoy this time off!!!!!

    🎄🌲🎄

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Nil, we know all about Panatone and just bought a large one and a smaller single-=serving "baby" one. They seem to only be available at this time of year, which may be a good thing because we enjoy them as well with either egg nog or hot cocoa. Those creme caramels look so good in the oven and bet they taste even better! We decided not to buy a place again so we don't have a mortgage now, but of course we do have monthly rent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beatrice. I wonder why stores sell panattone only during Christmas.

      Not owning a home also has its advantages. I was able to save more money, and had fewer responsibilities when I was a renter.

      Delete
  10. HI Nil, I love not having a mortgage, too. It sounds like you are finding a good balance. I love being debt free, and will never go back again. It really made me upset and anxious. Great to hear that the crocheting is going well. Your creme caramels look divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be free of mortgage before I retire. The sooner the better. :)

      Delete
  11. Enjoy your holidays, Nil. It's lovely to have time doing things around your home and garden. I think paying off your mortgage early is a great goal to work towards. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you have a wonderful stress free winter break.
    I buy a panattone each year at Christmas and serve some sliced on a tray for our traditional brunch. During the week between Christmas and the new year I make french toast with the leftovers. It is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I never thought of making french toast with panattone. Thank so for the tip, Anne. :)

      Delete
  13. ooh you are very good with your cleaning Nil. i can't say i ever thought of cleaning the sides of a stove. then again ours is set into the wall so you can't move it:-) happy festive season. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way it's good that your stove is set into the wall. Less cleaning. Heheee

      Delete
  14. Enjoy your break! I read lots of articles about the pros and cons of paying off a mortgage early, but in the end I know anything that lowers my anxiety is beneficial even if interest rates say I should invest the money instead, so I'd do what feels right for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Julie. Invested money can be lost if the market crashes, and I've read horror stories about such incidents in 2008.

      Delete
  15. Yum,I would love to take one of those delicious creme caramele pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very disciplined, and have been eating only one pot per day. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻