Sunday, December 22, 2019

This & That During Winter Break

Ibises near the lake.

This week has been a rainy one. It's still raining. Though I didn't work in the yard (it was a bit cold), the plants are thriving in this rainy weather. 

Brussels sprouts. 

New growth of a sweet potato.

I made an apple tart. I rarely make cakes and pies, may be once a year or so. Every December I make this apple tart. I'm not sure why I do it in December, it just happens so. 😊

French apple tart.

I don't like pasta with tomato sauce. However, the other day I decided to make tomato sauce. I used canned diced tomatoes. It was not bad, but I think I should have added more herbs. Adding lots of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese made the pasta dish a lot better.

Pasta & tomato sauce.

I used 10 apples to make the tart, so I had a bag full of apple cores and peels. I was planing to toss it in the compost bin, and then I remembered the apple scrap recipe on Zero-Waste Chef. I put apple scraps in my Mortier Pilon fermenting crock and added water and sugar. It's sitting on the counter top now. 😊


Making apple scrap vinegar.

A couple of days ago, a friend and I drove in the neighborhood to see Christmas lights. I love seeing oak trunks wrapped in Christmas lights, and icicle lights hanging from the branches.  The night was cold, so we enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate as well. 

Christmas decorations in the neighborhood.

I started crocheting another sleeveless top, using the same pattern used earlier, but in size XS.  I scrubbed and cleaned all kitchen cabinet doors, but didn't have time to clean inside the cupboards. 

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season with your loved ones. I wish you all a merry Christmas πŸŽ„ / a happy Hanukkah, and a joyful holiday season. 🌼🌹🌷


This week's to-do list:
1) Clean the fridge.
2) Clean kitchen cabinets. - Partially done.

Next week's to-do list:
1) Finish cleaning kitchen cabinets.
2) Finish the crochet top.
3) Make syllabi for the next semester.

XX
Nil


20 comments:

  1. I hope you have a lovely Christmas too Nil x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never seen a slice of sweet potato, "growing." You don't put it in water? Potatoes I have seen, growing.... were suspended in a glass of water. With tooth picks...

    So nice to enjoy the decorations.

    Have a lovely vacation time off!!!!

    πŸŽ„πŸŒ²πŸŽ„πŸŒ²πŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound busy and happy, Nil. Your apple tart looks so authentic. I had a piece like that in Monte Carlo. It was divine. Happy crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your Christmas is wonderful and restful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a lovely Christmas time too, Nil. Your French Apple Tart looks amazing...I love apple desserts! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful (very neat!) tart and your pasta. The sweet potato plant is so neat looking! The rain will help things stay green. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Nil. I too am interested in that sweet potato 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. That apple tart is too pretty to cut and eat! Sounds like you've been very busy! Some of your rain has made it across to us and I am listening to the sound of rain falling as I type this. I hope you have a lovely week ahead, a nice mixture of relaxation and productivity. Happy Holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Apple tart looks amazing. I bet it tastes delicious too.
    Have a Merry Christmas, Nil. Much love. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you'll have a good crop of Brussels sprouts, I'm envious. Happy holidays Nil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Brussels sprouts do love that rainy weather. Your neighbor's lights are pretty. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The apple tart is beautiful. It must have taken lots of patience to assemble the slices so perfectly. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The apple tart is so pretty, Nil. I like that you're making apple scrap vinegar. Please let us know how it turns out.

    I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That apple tart looks delicious! Enjoy your break and the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Christmas, Nil. I love the look of that apple tart too. Well done! You are a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos. Your food looks awesome, that apple tart is gorgeous!! Whau, your neighbors do decorate and get enthusiastic for the season. Happy Holidays to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have been busy, Nil, and that apple tart looks amazing. My husband also makes one about once a year and it is delicious as yours must be too! Thanks for your visits and comments on our blog this year, always much appreciated. Merry Christmas to you and hope your holiday is a great one. See you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you are having a lovely Christmas.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have also made a lot of good apple vinegar from scraps, loved that idea! The pie looks so beautiful, you should bake more often, cos it looks like you are a great baker☺ Happy New Year ☺

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻