Sunday, December 1, 2019

A Relaxing Long Weekend


Thank you all for identifying the unknown bird in my previous post. Several of you said it looked like an anhinga, so I looked it up on Google. You are right. It's an anhinga. 

I have more bird news. 😊 The hawk has a partner! Here's a photo of the new couple. Not a very romantic photo, is it? Do you think they are mad at each other? Or, just checking two different directions for the next pray? 

Red-shouldered hawks.

Because of the Thanksgiving holiday, I had a long weekend. I invited a friend for lunch on Thanksgiving day, and the rest of the weekend was pretty quiet.  I made a final exam for one course, watched a couple of documentaries on YouTube, and also started a new crochet project. I decided to make a simple sleeveless top. It has identical front and back, and as a beginner I think it's a pretty easy pattern. Here is the pattern link.

I also hung several framed pictures in the office/library and in the spare room. The spare room looks really neat now. I have a couple of items that I want to donate, and I plan to do it before the month ends.

Office
The hurricane season ended with the end of November. It's such a relief that this area was not affected  by hurricanes this year.

We are expecting cold weather, especially on Tuesday.  I agreed to judge a science fair at a near by school, and now I wish I hadn't. 😔 Oh, well, I will survive, it's not like I have to drive on snow. It's going to be around 47 degrees F (~ 8 degrees C), though it's really cold for me. ⛄

Have a wonderful week everyone. 🌼


This week's to-do list:
1) Plant mustard greens.
2) Start another crochet project.

Next week's to-do list:
1) Plant mustard greens.

XX
Nil


32 comments:

  1. 47 is pretty cold to me too! Glad you had some time to rest. We have an adult and juvenile hawk in our area. We see them each day and it has been great watching the younger one learn to hunt. He/sh has not been terribly successful that I have seen, but he/she is growing so I assume it is more success than I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'll get to see baby hawks, but I am not sure where their nest is. :)

      Delete
  2. It's around 33C here today, Nil. I can't imagine -8C!! The paintings you've hung in your study look lovely...so nice to have a room you are happy with. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Meg. It’s not -8 C. It’s approximately 8 C ( ~ 8 C). I’d not survive in - 8 C weather. 😊

      Delete
    2. Oops! Was not wearing my glasses ... We'd love some of this colder weather here, Nil. Even during Winter this year, it rarely went under 10C this year. Weird weather indeed! Meg:)

      Delete
  3. Nil, that would be cold for us too. I believe it is snowing in our southern states while the heat continues here in Queensland. Odd weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed strange weather, Chel. I hope you will get rain soon.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, a pair of hawks! How exciting! Maybe they have a nest nearby (or, will build one) and you might see baby hawks, soon! Your new crochet project sounds great! I really like that pattern and am almost tempted to try crocheting it! My mother used to crochet tops, too. 47F is really cold! That's how cold it was on Thanksgiving night, and I wore my big, winter jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the furniture in your office Nil. we are expecting a very hot week this week - 35C each day. and it just keeps on being dry and dusty. i think water restrictions are going to start soon. Rug up for that cold weather. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to warm weather, but 35 C is way too hot, even for me. Stay cool Sherry.

      The roll top desk in the office is a $2 find from a yard sale, and the other desk is a curb pick up. It had a small water damage. After sanding and painting, it looks great now. I'm trilled to have good solid wood furniture without spending too much. :)

      Delete
  6. I agree that 47F is cold. We have lots of hawks around here and I love watching them. Good luck with the crochet. Post some pictures of your progress on it please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post some photos soon, Anita. Still I can't keep the edges straight. Somehow I miss the last stitch! :)

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful roll top desk!!!!!!!!

    Greetings from Snow Country!
    ⛄🎄⛄

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had around 44 degrees one day recently and felt "warm". lol I was just thinking that Florida did not have too many hurricanes this year! That's great! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa If 44 F is warm for you, I can imagine how cold it must be in your area, Andrea.

      Delete
  9. I know what you mean about driving in the snow. Maybe those hawks find that position romantic. They are very territorial. We have them here, too. One was drinking out of my birdbath. It was huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These hawks come every morning, so apparently they find enough food around the lake. I wonder if they can catch fish.

      Delete
  10. You're getting a lot done with your time. 😎 I love the top pattern you're working on now. Can't wait ti see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it during winter break. Today I am wearing one the neck warmers I made using your pattern. :)

      Delete
  11. As I write this comment, Nil, it has just stopped snowing here in Nashua, NH, so you will be very glad to only have 47 degree temps. We will get some overnight freezing on top of the 18-inch snowfall that occurred from late Sunday until today. The snow did stop for awhile, but then would restart a few hours later. Lucily, we have underground parking and no need to go outdoors, so we didn't. I like your roll-top desk..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the photos on your recent post, Beatrice. I love seeing snow. Especially undisturbed snow looks so peaceful. I hope you are staying warm.

      Delete
  12. How sweet that the hawk has a partner. The furniture in your spare room is beautiful. I like the pictures you hung too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. Everything is either free or from thrift stores/ yard sales, so that makes them more beautiful to me. 😁

      Delete
  13. It’s always a relief for hurricane season to come to an end

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bird watching brings such pleasure for us as well Nil. Although a pair of hawks in our yard would send off alarm bells as we have quite a few birds nesting.The Willy Wagtails seem to sort them out though. What a strange world we live in, you coping with freezing temperatures, and us buckling under the heat. Take care, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Pauline. When the hawks are out, squirrels and other birds disappear. The backyard suddenly gets very quiet.

      I hope you get cooler weather, soon.

      Delete
  15. I love bird watching and living in South Florida, I often see a bird I am not able to identify.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻