Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Mock Bishopsweed?


In my last post, I asked what these flowers were. Thank you everyone for trying to identify them.  There were several suggestions - Queen Anne's lace, water hemlock, water cowbane, and mock Bihopsweed.  Bless asked to see a photo of the leaves, so today I went to the lake to take more photos. 


Buds?

Leaves - look like fennel leaves



I looked up each name, and I think these are similar to mock Bishopsweed. I found this article , and the plants shown there have similar flowers and leaves. I'm not 100% sure yet. If it is mock Bishopsweed, I hope it attracts butterflies as mock Bishopsweed is a host to swallowtail butterflies. 

While near the lake, I picked a bunch of tickseed flowers. 

Tickseed flowers




I like having Florida native plants around. There are so many beautiful wildflowers native to Florida. One day I'd like to have a small butterfly garden. Speaking of butterflies, today I learned that the caterpillars that have been destroying my passion seedlings are Gulf fritillary caterpillars, the larva of Gulf fritillary butterflies. They look poisonous with their black spikes. I noticed orange butterflies hanging around the plants, but didn't know they laid eggs on passion vines. This morning I planted 5 passion seedlings along the back fence, and left several in pots for butterflies. The large vine already has fruits, so I think I have enough passion vines to share with butterflies. 



XXX
Nil





17 comments:

  1. You are a true teacher...you got us thinking and trying to solve your mystery! The flowers are so pretty. If you get the butterflies, then we will know about the other wildflowers. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly does look like mock bishopsweed. Your passion fruit vine is growing so well and it looks like you'll have a good crop of fruits, too! Nice of you to share the vines with the butterflies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of passionfruit! In my climate they grow to be very big and vigorous climbers. I am about to buy just one new one to plant over winter -as they are also quite shortlived here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bunch of wildflowers look so vibrant and pretty, Nil. It sounds like you'll have more than enough passionfruit vines for you and for the butterflies too. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so lovely to feel you are playing your part in the whole nature cycle, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats nice of you to share your passionfruit with nature. Love those tickeweed flowers

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tickseed flowers look so pretty in your white pitcher! I looked up the caterpillar. They are scary looking! But apparently the spines are soft and don't sting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your beautiful white jug with the yellow flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wildflower bouquet is so very cheerful. Around here, it has rained so much that most the blooms are knocked off many of the flowers, our bright beautiful azaleas, in particular. I will be ready when things flower out in another round.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a thriving butterfly friendly garden in our small yard. 6 milkweed for the Monarchs (we have hatched 20 butterflies so far this spring!!) and buddleia, lavender and lantana for everybody else. We also get lots of hummingbirds. Last year I purposely let one dill plant go flower and seed to feed the butterflies. I hope you get an answer to the name of the mystery plant. It certainly has cute little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect post!!!!!!!!

    Just love it!

    And all the information you give!

    Yes, you are a true teacher. -smile-

    Gentle hugs,
    ✨🌼✨🌼✨🌼✨

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love wildflowers too. We probably do not have quite as many as Florida, but there are tons of them here also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so lovely to have flowers growing nearby that keep well in the house isn't it? The wildflowers look beautiful. Sharing plants with the butterflies and grubs is a real balancing act isn't it? I tend to think the way that you do. It's really nice that you are embracing wildflower season Nil. Love your photos. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, those flowers in that vase look just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love wildflowers,I think they are the most beautiful! Stay safe and healthy everyone ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nil, while I must admit that the name of the flower, ticksed, doesn't sound appealing, the sight of them in a vase was lovely. Too bad they have such a nasty sounding name isn't it? And nice that you and the butterflies will be sharing the passion blooms too.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻