Sunday, September 15, 2019

Crocheting & Other Happenings

The Harvest Moon peeking through the clouds.

I was waiting to see the Harvest Moon on September 13th, but it was too cloudy. Did you see the Harvest Moon?

Another week went by very fast, as usual. It's already mid September! This week I was able to get everything on my to-do list done.  😊

I adjusted the monthly budget to make room for the increased expenses, but I think it needs a bit more fine tuning. I'm determined not to exceed the grocery budget because that's where I tend to overspend.

I made two beanies. One for a friend, and the other for another friend's little son. I was planing to make soap savers next, but I have only one cotton yarn (green) and I'm tired of using the same color now. I have some wool yarn and mostly acrylic, so I need to buy some cotton yarn for future projects. I buy yarn from thrift stores and only when they come with labels. Otherwise I still don't know how to recognize the yarn type and the thickness. 


Beanies.


I noticed that there were so many knitting books at the library, buy only a couple of crochet books. I borrowed the two crochet books they had, and also found a book at a thrift store for $2.

$2 book from a thrift store (left) and two library books (right).

Until I buy cotton yarn, I'm going to make this Mount LeConte scarf by Magnoliasntea. 😊

Have a great week everyone.

This week's to-do list:
1) Mend a bathrobe.
2) Make a new budget.
3) Iron clothes.
4) Make another border in the backyard.

Next week's to-do list:
1) Weed and fertilize flower beds.
2) Alter a skirt.
3) Donate or discard old blinds.
4) Organize appliance user manual folders.

XX
Nil


40 comments:

  1. Nil, your crochet looks very neat. Good job! I find it is quicker than knitting. Lately I have only been doing loom knitting which is extremely quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel. :)
      I want to learn knitting too. But I still have a lot to learn about crocheting. :)

      Delete
  2. Great progress on the to-do list. I managed to buy a carpet and plant my spring bulbs so very pleased with progress.

    I really like older craft books, the layouts are so simple and easy to follow, plus there's the joy of colour combinations you just don't see theses days! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great photo of the harvest moon! The beanies you crocheted look great, too! You have really mastered the art of crocheting! I like that scarf you are planning to make, too. Budgets need constant tweaking, in my experience. I hope you are able to get the grocery budget under control. :)

    Hope you have a good week ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. I really enjoy crocheting. I still have a lot to learn, I've been doing very easy projects so far.

      Delete
  4. You are such a fast learner. I can't believe how good you've gotten in such a short amount of time with your crocheting. The beanies are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful moon! We've had the same so I guess it has not been cloudy. Very nice hats...they looks soft. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beanies look great, such even stitches. I have the How to Crochet book and love it.
    If only you were next door; I'd love to share some of my cotton yarn stash with you as I bought way more than I'll ever use.

    p.s. I'm super pleased you're trying my scarf pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magnoliasntea, I started the scarf last night, and made the foundation chain and one row of half double crochet stitches. I can't wait to finish it. Thank you so much for the pattern.

      Delete
  7. But you did get a lovely photo, of the Moon! Love it, with some clouds, which make a better photo,to me. :-)

    Re: Your comment in my blog.... You have found a good way, to deal with worry, and at a young age. Good for you.

    Beanies are a lovely way, to practice your knitting!

    🍁🍁🍁🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Wisps. Clouds do make the photo looks better. I took it with my phone, so the resolution is not very good.

      Delete
  8. You beanies look excellent, Nil. Slippers are fun to make, too. Those books look perfect. There are lots of free patterns and YouTube videos online, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephenie.
      I'm trying to find patterns that are useful for warm Florida weather, so it's not easy. :) Still I can make hats, slippers etc, and use them as gifts. :)

      Delete
  9. The beanies look great. It is hard to believe you are just learning to crochet! The Harvest Moon was really bright here. In fact-for 3 days it was right in our open bedroom window by 4AM-shining right in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita. So far my crochet projects were very simple, so they didn't take a lot of time. :)
      I was so looking forward to seeing the Harvest Moon, but unfortunately that entire weekend was cloudy.

      Delete
  10. You're becoming a crocheting whiz! Good luck with adjusting your budget- I tend to also take from the grocery budget because there's usually something in the pantry or freezer I could eat and not have to buy so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I too decided to use what I already have in the freezer and the pantry this month. :)

      Delete
  11. I got to see the moon because I was driving back from another town where I went for a meeting. So beautiful! I like to see your lists! You must be very organized. Those beanies looks great! I like crochet a lot! I have to be careful or I may buy too much wool/ yearns. :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa I can understand the desire to buy too much yarn. There are so many beautiful colors and textures. :)

      Delete
  12. Crocheting and knitting have never appealed to me — you seem to be much more patient than I am.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently took my cotton yarn to charity. I wish I had kept it for just a couple more weeks so I could now send it over to you. We always overspend on groceries, too. Good food is just so important, I don't like skimping on ingredients. I did notice a change in our spending though since my oldest has moved out. I didn't quite realise how much food he ate! Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Christina, you are so kind. But the postage would have cost more than it's worth. :)

      My grocery bill is high because I mainly buy organic produce, wild caught fish etc. So I don't want change that, but still plan to spend less on ice cream etc. :)

      Delete
  14. I didn't see the harvest moon, but have enjoyed seeing the full moon both yesterday morning and this morning. I love it since we live in the middle of the woods and it is so dark when I leave. It helps to light the path to my car.

    Kudos to you for getting everything on your to do list done, I love it when that happens. I also can't believe it is mid month either. Time just flies these days.

    I hope you have another great week and accomplish everything on your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to check if I could see the full moon yesterday! It's hard to notice the moonlight or stars here because of the city lights. It sounds like your area is so quiet and beautiful. :)

      Delete
  15. Wow! You are doing fantastic! It seems like you only just learned and those beanies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, cool picture of the moon! Pictures of the moon never turn out right, but you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Akasha. I used my phone, so I didn’t expect it to focus that well. 😊

      Delete
  17. No, I did not see the harvest moon, Nil, but thanks for sharing your photo, which looks in tune with this time of year. The beanies look great and I’m sure they will be appreciated by the lucky recipients. Budgeting is always a challenge and good luck with yours as it seems you already have some cost reductions underway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to spend a lot less on groceries so far this month. But I also bought a hutch, so it was a wash. :)

      Delete
  18. I didnt know a harvest moon existed, at least not Downunder.

    I love your knitting, so neat. Is the pattern for the hats available online, I would love to make one as it gets very cold here catching the ferry. My email is bridget.larsen@gmail.com

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget, I sent you an email with a link to the pattern.

      If anyone else would like it, here's the link:
      https://allcraftschannel.com/2017/11/easy-crochet-rib-hat.html

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻