Today I had my very first glass of homemade elderberry cordial. I had read about elderberry on Rhonda's blog, but didn't know where to find them. I hadn't seen elderberry products or fresh berries at the store. Then I learned that I have an elderberry tree in my own backyard!
It turns out that we have elderberry everywhere here. I had to be very careful because I heard that there's a highly poisonous plant called water hemlock which can be misidentified as elderberry. I asked around and found this very useful website. According to the description there, the veins of the elderberry leaf end at the tips of the teeth while the veins of the water hemlock end between the teeth.
After checking everything carefully I was certain that what I have is elderberry.
I left for my vacation while the tree was full of flowers. When I came back there were berries, but not a lot. Yesterday I picked berries on the lower branches, though I could have picked more if I had used a ladder. I wanted to make elderberry cordial according to Rhonda's recipe.
I only had a 1/4 cup of berries. It didn't deter me though, I really wanted to taste elderberry! Because uncooked berries can cause nausea, I decided to go ahead and make a small quantity of cordial.
I carefully removed all the stems, washed the berries and added lemon and lime juice and just enough water to cover it.
Then I boiled it and simmered for 15 minutes according to Rhonda's instructions. After letting it steep overnight and adding sugar, look how much I got! Hahaa all that trouble for cordial enough for two glasses... maybe.
Still I enjoyed it very much. My very first homemade elderberry cordial!
From now on I will collect elderberry and freeze until I have a big quantity.
Have you made elderberry or any other cordial at home?
XX
Nil
I made elderberry syrup last year. I like to drizzle mine on porridge during the Winter months as it's supposed to have antiviral properties.
ReplyDeleteYou are fortunate to have your own tree. I hope you manage to make some more. X
Mmm I like drizzling elderberry syrup on porridge! I'm going to try it once I collect enough berries to make a good amount of syrup. Thanks for the idea Jules. 😊
DeleteAnything with the name "cordial" at the end gets my attention! Looks good! Growing up, we had a big elderberry bush on the top of our yard. I never knew what it was until recently! We used to just throw the berries around..lol. Your cordial is a small amount, but a good start! Andrea
ReplyDeleteYou were lucky that you didn't try to eat them. 😊
DeleteI once made lemon cordial and it was also very good. I like not too sweet cordials.
That looks delicious! I love the color. How exciting that you have your own elderberry tree in your backyard. I've never seen one. Great post. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYes, I was pretty excited Stephenie. I've learn that there are several edible weeds here, and I'm learning a little by little how to use them.
DeleteI've never made an elderberry cordial. The color is beautiful. Haha, you're right, that was a lot of work for such a small amount! But next time you'll have more berries.
ReplyDeleteIt's already gone.
DeleteNext time I'm going to make at least one bottle. :)
I bet your homemade cordial tasted pretty good, Nil! I think everything tastes better when it's homemade! Meg:)
ReplyDeleteOh yes Meg. I was pretty excited because not only it was homemade, but also home grown. 😊
DeleteHow wonderful that you were able to make your own elderberry cordial! I don't think I've ever seen an elderberry tree, here. I make jams and things, but have never tried to make cordial.
ReplyDeleteHi Bless, I've made lime cordial once, and this is my second. I like homemade ones better because I can adjust the amount of sugar. I've made strawberry, blueberry jams but didn't make one for a while now. :)
DeleteNil, I still can't believe that I ruined the elderberries I picked a few months back. I added them to a bottle of olives as I didn't have my glasses on. Mine is the real thing as I got mine from Rhonda so I trust that she grows the right type of elderberry and it is not a weed. LOL!
ReplyDeleteLOL Chel, either your elderberries are as big as olives, or olives are way too small. 😂
DeleteNice work Nil. I'm sure you enjoyed BOTH those glasses of cordial ;)
ReplyDeleteHope you can collect some more while they are still around.
Cheers,
Laura
Thanks Laura. :)
DeleteThere are new flowers, so I hope I'll have more berries. :)
Your elderberry cordial looks refreshing. I've only made this once and didn't like the smell while I was cooking down the berries and I didn't try it (the kids drank it all)... maybe I should try again! I absolutely love elderflower cordial, which I make every year. If you have rhubarb available, it also makes a nice cordial, it has a beautiful colour. It is a good time of year for foraging here in Scotland: blackberries, sloes, rose hips, elderberries and some late wild raspberries. It is very satisfying to make preservers from wild growing plants.
ReplyDeleteI didn't notice the smell of elderberries. :)
DeleteNext time I'll make elderflower cordial. There's nothing much to forage where I live. There are elderberry trees along the road, but people are told not to use them because of the proximity to the road and therefore dust, fumes etc.
Fortunately I have a tree in the yard. I also grow edible weeds like bidens alba and cook them with other greens.
You are so lucky to have different types of berries to forage. 😊