Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Getting Things Done - 1st Week of August

The first week of the month was very productive.

I cleaned up a couple of raised beds. I had to remove several kale plants destroyed by lubber grasshoppers. I set two tomato cages for the surviving tomato plants. I bought a dozen of tall cages at a yard sale. The entire stack was just $1.
I also planted seeds: Swiss chard, turnip, kale, and lettuce.  This was on my next week's to-do list, but it's already done. Yay! Then I washed empty pots and put them aside for new plants. I also picked three okra. I almost missed them because they were hidden behind leaves.

Plants after several weeks of neglect. Lubber grasshoppers made things worse.

What am I going to do with this large harvest? 😃

I found 22 hurricane shutters (~ $193) and four plantation shutters (~ $70) at two different Habitat stores. I was not planning to buy hurricane shutters, but it's a great bargain.  I would have paid more than 10 times if I had bought them brand new. The plantation shutters are for the second bedroom.

More plantation shutters!

I went to two stores and bought groceries for the next three weeks. I have $16.97 left from the monthly grocery budget of $150.  I noticed that the gas price has gone up. When I filled up the car on Friday, it was $2.699/gallon. So my gas money for this month is already gone. I think I have to increase it from $20 to $30 because I'm going back to work in the third week. My first pay check since May is coming in September, so August is going to be a very frugal month.

This is what I accomplished from the first week's to-do list.

1) work on plantation shutters. - Done. The shutters are hung in the study, though they still need magnetic catches.
2) keep searching for a sofa. - Continue.
3) send an email to HR about Vanguard retirement plans.   Done. I learned that there was no possibility of adding Vanguard to the list of financial institutions that offer retirement plans for us.
4) exercise. - Continue
5) buy coconut oil for soap making. Didn't buy. I decided to use the coconut oil I already have at home.
6) sleep at least 7 hours. - Continue.


Tasks for the 2nd week of August:
1) prepare recently bought plantation shutters to fit the windows of the second bedroom.
2) keep searching for a sofa.
3) make soap.
4) exercise.
5) continue 7 hours of sleep.


Making soap is something I've always wanted to do. So I'd like to try it before going back to work.


I hope you all are having a productive week. 😊


XX


Nil









17 comments:

  1. It sounds like your August has been very busy and productive so far. I've only ever grown okra one year. I found that although I love it breaded and deep fried, I didn't really know how to use it fresh from the garden. How do you prepare it?

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally cut them into large pieces or use whole if they are small enough, and sauté with onions. I think most don't like okra because it's slimy. Not cutting too much can avoid that.
      Thank you for stopping by and commenting. 😊

      Delete
  2. Your okra harvest may be small, but those are perfect okras! School starts today in our area of Virginia, and the kids are excited, mostly.:-) I'm sure you're excited for your school to start, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, Priscilla. I always look forward to meeting a new group of students each semester. 😊

      Delete
  3. Good buy on those shutters! Your gardens look so nice. I know weeding is not an easy job, especially if it is hot out! I am going to make more soap in the winter when there is no outside work to do. It is fun to make! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. The garden is not as productive as I would like. I should spend more time there. 😊

      Delete
  4. Nil, definitely make some soap before going back to work :-) That's essential. LOL! Good to see you have made some good buys with those plantation shutters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Chel, I think finally I'm ready to make soap. Now that I put it on my to-do list and posted on the blog, that makes me more motivated to do it. 😊

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks so nice, Nil. I like your raised beds. It's great that you found the okra. You can make fried okra for one. I hope you meet all of your goals for this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda.
      I haven't made fried okra, so that's a good idea. Something new to try. 😊

      Delete
  6. Hi Nil, The okra looks delicious. Your photo makes me want to grow it. Congratulations on finding the plantation shutters. You always attract what you need. Enjoy making your own soap. It's such a treat to use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, your garden looks to be thriving even after being neglected for several weeks! Is that lemon grass growing along the fence? Your okra harvest is just right for a single serving to be savored!

    You found some good deals on the shutters! Gas here is almost a dollar more than what you are paying.

    Your 1st week in August was very productive and you accomplished a lot! I am sure your second week will go well, too. Hope you get to make soap - it's something I've wanted to do, too, but haven't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, yes that's lemongrass. About a month ago I cut it down and it's already grown about a foot.
      It's very low maintenance, and I use clippings as mulch. 😊

      Delete
  8. Envious of your okra,Nil, I've just planted seeds, so will have my own in spring, I can't wait. I cook it with onion and tomatoe and a little bit of fennel seed. You've accomplished a lot in a week. Look forward to seeing your soap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nannette, I was thinking about you this morning because you didn't update your blog for a while. I was going to send you an email. 😊 So I'm glad to see your comment.
      Okra is one of my favorites. I sometimes add tomatoes and cumin. Next time I'll add fennel seeds. 😊

      Delete
  9. Your garden beds there aren't looking too bad, Nil, even after a couple of weeks of neglect. Great deal on the shutters, you've got an eye for a bargain! Looking forward to seeing your first batch of soap, it's been on my to-do list for ages but I still haven't got there. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Meg, you must try making soaps. I was also postponing it for ages, but I'm so glad I tried it. It was a truly exciting experience. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻