We are having a rainy week. As I type this, it's raining hard outside. I can hear thunder. I find the sound of rain very soothing. I always sleep better when it rains. 😊
The school started on Monday, so my week was very busy. As a result, I didn't have time to work on the plantation shutters. Cutting shutters is a very dusty job, and requires several hours of work. Hopefully both my friend and I have free time next weekend to continue the project.
This week I made a new dish: slow cooker chicken and date tagine. The recipe is from Happy Retiree's Kitchen. It was really tasty. I didn't use pistachio, because I didn't have any. I had both dates and dried apricots, so I used both. It tuned out a bit too sweet. I will either use less or use only dates or apricots next time. I had it with couscous. I have enough leftover for several meals. Thank you Pauline for the delicious recipe. 😊
I started another book: The Listening Eye by Patricia Wentworth. This is an e-book I requested many months ago, and recently the library added it to the system. I have three other library books, so I plan to finish this soon. Every time I read a Miss Silver book I want to learn to knit. Perhaps I will add it to the next month's to-do list.
I finished sewing three curtain panels and then realized I don't have a long curtain rod. I added four 6 feet curtain rods to the shopping list, because I plan to make more curtains later.
I sowed mustard seeds directly in the ground. The seeds I started in a little greenhouse box were not successful. I had it near a window and kept rotating the box so that all sides get enough light, but the seedlings got too leggy and weak. I haven't sown seeds directly in the ground before, so I hope these mustard seeds will grow.
I'm not happy that I didn't exercise this week. It's late when I come home from work, and I'm usually hungry by that time. So after having dinner I don't want to exercise. Of course I can do it in the weekend, but I always find something else to do! I have to be more disciplined about exercising.
Overall I'm satisfied with the work I got done.
1) Continue working on plantation shutters. This didn't happen because my friend and I were busy with other things.
2) Sew curtain panels.
3) Complete documents for the work project. - This is almost done.
4) Sow mustard seeds in one raised bed.
5) Start another book.
6) Exercise 20-30 minutes on Fridays. Didn't exercise at all this week.
7) Sleep 7 hrs.
Tasks for the next week:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters.
2) Print documents and make a folder for the work project.
3) Iron a stack of clothes.
4) Make fried okra.
5) Fertilize vegetable beds.
6) Exercise 20-30 minutes on Fridays.
7) Sleep 7 hrs.
How was your week? Did you try any new recipes lately?
XX
Nil
So a new school year has begun! I hope you have a very good year. I agree about rain...especially if it is at night when I am sleeping....so soothing. I have trouble planting seeds inside...I need to direct sow in the ground. I'll have to look at that recipe! Andrea
ReplyDeleteThank you Andrea. :)
DeleteWhen I try to sow seeds inside, sometimes it works, sometimes they all die. So, I decided to sow seeds directly in the ground. Hopefully it will work. :)
Hi Nil, Your recipe looks delicious. No, I haven't tried any new recipes, but I did make a zucchini bread with homegrown organic zucchini and fresh eggs. It was a nice treat with hibiscus tea.
ReplyDeleteI often read about zucchini bread, but haven't made it yet. I wanted to buy zucchini for sauteing, but the store didn't have any last week.
DeleteZucchini bread with hibiscus tea sounds delicious. :)
I loved reading about all the things you have achieved this week, you are most inspiring. I love the Happy Retiree recipes too and want to try the grapefruit/pomelo salad when it warms up here.
ReplyDeleteHave a great week xxx
Thank you Sue. Pauline posts great recipes, doesn't she?
DeleteI want to try your Vietnamese soup recipe soon. I need to buy beef. :)
Looks like you did pretty well Nil even though you were back at work - lots accomplished. I love a good tagine, so I'll have to check that out. My favourite is a chicken, fennel & preserved lemon one from a Jamie Oliver book. I did try a new recipe last week - ham congee in the slow cooker. It was really delicious - will get a post up about it this week.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the rain - we could do with a lot of it down here!
Cheers,
Laura
Ooh, anything with preserved lemons must be good!
DeleteI look forward to your recipe for ham congee. I need to use my slow cooker more. :)
I find the sound of rain soothing too. When I can't sleep I use an app which plays different water sounds, it helps me to drift off for the night.
ReplyDeleteThe app is a great idea! I usually read a book until I fall asleep. :)
DeleteI hope the mustard seeds grow for you. Mustard greens are one of my favorite veggies. They're so good!
ReplyDeleteI hope so too Priscilla. I love greens. I can't think of any greens that I don't like. :)
DeleteThe chicken and date tagine looks good, Nil. I'll have to check out her website. I didn't try any new recipes last week, just had enough energy to make the same old basics. LOL...we survived. I hope you have a great week.
ReplyDeleteSame old basics are the best, Belinda. That's what I often cook. And I love your food posts. They always sound delicious. :)
DeleteI like trying new recipes once in a while when I have the ingredients.
Rain....how lovely that sounds to us here in Australia. Pauline has the best recipes I must say. She is such a good cook. Sounds like you are getting back into the swings of things again, Nil.
ReplyDeleteI know you are badly in need of rain Chel. I've read on news how difficult it has been for Australian farmers. I hope you will get lots of rain very soon.
DeleteYou had a busy week and accomplished a lot, especially considering you started school, again! Well done on trying out a new recipe. I'm afraid I'm not very adventurous when it comes to trying out new recipes. I tend to cook the same things, over and over again! My daughter, on the other hand, likes to try new recipes. Good luck with the mustard seeds; I'm sure they'll grow well in the ground. If you can send some of that rain this way, it would be much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteHope you have another good, productive week, Nil.
Thank you Bless.
DeleteIf I could, I really would send rain to you and to everyone in Australia. We have too much rain here. :)
We finally got some rain on Sunday, Nil. Like you it was nice to hear it pattering down on the roof at long last. It's been so dry here that I have not really planted much at all lately. Seem to have lost my gardening get-up-and-go a bit. I can find teaching days exhausting too, it is a job that can really deplete one's energy sometimes. I work a lot less these days but I can still feel that way after a long day. Meg🤗
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear you got some rain, Meg. Here we have too much rain.
DeleteI understand what you say about teaching. It takes lots of energy. So when I go home after a long day, exercising is the last thing I want to do. :)
So pleased you enjoyed the Date Tagine Nil, and I hope your readers do as well. Thanks so much for the credit on this recipe. Enjoy the rain, we are still waiting however the temperatures are still beautiful. Best wishes, Pauline :)
ReplyDeleteThanks again for the recipe, Pauline. I still have some tagine in the freezer. :)
DeleteHope you get rain very soon.