Saturday, September 1, 2018

Happenings in the Last Week of August

This is a long weekend because the college is closed on Monday for Labor Day. Because I'm back to work, weekends are precious. That's when I get lot of home stuff done. So it's nice to have a long weekend.

For a while I wanted to declutter one corner of the living room. I had too many things there. After I hung the new curtains I decided to clear out the corner. I removed the corner shelf and placed a plant stand. And added a different lamp.

Before.
 
After.

On Friday I went to the library. I stopped by their used bookstore and picked up several free magazines. Now I have several books and magazines for the long weekend. I finished The Listening Eye , and started another book by Patricia Wentworth - Poison in the Pen.

Free magazines.

It's been raining every day, especially in the afternoon. So it's hard to get any yard work done in the weekend. Mustard seeds have started sprouting. I will thin them once they grow a bit more. I cut down lemongrass and fertilized the potted plants. I have several bitter gourd vines growing very well, but unlike in the last year, now gourds turn yellow while they are still very small. I hope fertilizing will help.

Today I tried a new recipe. Fried Okra. It's a popular southern dish here, but this is the first time I made it. I didn't have corn meal, so I used chickpea flour.

Fried Okra.

I am really happy that I got almost everything on the to-do list done.

Results of this week's to-do list:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters. This didn't happen yet, but the weekend is still not over.
2) Print documents and make a folder for the work project.
3) Iron a stack of clothes.
4) Make fried okra.
5) Fertilize vegetable beds.
6) Exercise 20-30 minutes on Fridays.
7) Sleep 7 hrs.


Tasks for the next week:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters.
2) Finish another book.
3) Make another batch of soap.
4) Cut curtain panels for another window.
5) Exercise 20-30 minutes on Fridays.
6) Sleep 7 hrs.



I hope you all have a great weekend.


XX
Nil





23 comments:

  1. I like what you've done to the corner of your living room Nil. It's surprising how small changes can make such a difference. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the before, and even more the after. Love your simple style home.
    Enjoy your free magazines.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the corner shelf, but are right. That corner of the room looks better without it. Yummm, fried okra.:-) Nice job getting through so many tasks this week, and good luck for next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priscilla. I have to find another corner for the shelf. Maybe in another room. 😊

      Delete
  4. Even small changes can make a difference to how a room looks, I like how your loungeroom looks now, and that lamp is pretty. The okra seeds I planted are big enough to plant on now, I can't wait until they're producing. Would you mind posting your recipe, thanks Nil. Enjoy the rest of your long wekend, hope it's both relaxing and productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanette, this is how I made okra.
      Cut washed and dried okra into about 1/4 inch pieces. Beat an egg and coat
      okra peices, let it sit for about ten minutes. In a shallow dish mix chickpea flour,salt and black pepper. Coat okra in the mix,shake out excess flour.
      Then heat coconut oil in a pan (I had oil about 1 inch deep), and cook okra until the pieces turn golden color.

      I'm thinking of making a chickpea batter with water, and omit the egg next time.

      Enjoy 😊

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nil, I'll try that, I usually make mine 'stewish'.....cooked with garlic, chilli and tomatoes. I hadn't thought of using chickpea flour for batter, although I always have it in, will use it now.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about your weekends being precious, Nil. I made a list of things to do with this three day weekend, so I wouldn't waste any time this weekend. The corner of your living room looks very homey. I really like the plant in the jug of water. It looks good. And I know I've said it before, but I love your plantation shutters. I hope you have a great weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too find lists are so helpful. Otherwise I tend to forget things and spend more time reading. 😊
      I hope you will be very productive this weekend Belinda.

      Delete
  6. Your living room corner looks lovely, cosy and inviting. I just realise how hungry I am, seeing your okra dish. Enjoy the long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina. I hope you are having a relaxing Sunday. 😊

      Delete
  7. I like your new arrangement in the corner, Nil. The larger side table anchors the space, nicely, and I really like that glass bottle for your plant! I like the corner unit, too - I hope you'll find a good place for it, elsewhere in your house. You remind me that my mother used to change things around in the house all the time; I tend to be a bit of a stick in the mud and leave things as they are for too long!

    You had a very productive week and achieved a lot! The shutters are a long term project, aren't they? But you'll cross them off your list one of these days. :)

    Your fried okra looks good; a batter with chick pea flour should work, nicely, too.

    Enjoy your long weekend. I hope you have another productive week, next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shutter project is a very long one. 😊 I couldn't do anything this weekend because I was having a headache. But I want to get it done before this year ends.
      I saved that wine bottle to make a lamp, and it ended up as a planter. Heheee

      Delete
  8. Hi Nil, The corner looks very quaint. I like your style. Sorry to hear you haven't had the weather you need for gardening. I wish we would get some rain, here in California. We could really use it. The fried okra sounds delicious. I love it in soups, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not used okra in soups, I will try it one of these days. Thank you for the idea Stephenie.

      Delete
  9. You will be refreshed after this weekend to go back to work! Your shutters are beautiful. I've only tasted okra once, but anything fried tastes delicious! I will await to see your next batch of soap! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea. I bought several pretty soap molds, and I'm going to add lavender essential oil to my basic soap recipe this time. 😊

      Delete
  10. I love long weekends too, Nil, and I have never tried fried okra. Your little decluttered corner looks lovely and cosy! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm wondering what happened to the long weekend. LOL
      This is my first time making fried okra, and I ate it all while watching a Netflix movie. 😊 A very good snack.

      Delete
  11. Hey Nil, looks like you made the most of your long weekend! The fried okra looks tasty. Good weekend here, a nice mix of getting things done and taking time out.
    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking time out is just as important as getting things done. :)
      Fried okra didn't last long. It was too tasty, hehee.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻