Sunday, September 23, 2018

Happenings in the Past week

Third week of the month went by quickly, with a lot of work at school, and not so much at home.

The plantation shutters are not done yet. Control rods of two shutters broke, so they need to be fixed and re-attached first.
I took the sewing machine out, prepared a table to place everything and then realized that I didn't have enough white thread to sew curtain panels. So I added two spools of white thread to the shopping list. I did some sewing though. A friend asked if I could alter two t-shirts by removing sleeves and increasing the neckline. I did one t-shirt and will finish the other next week.
Now this is going to sound like a "not to-do list", but I didn't make a list of the stockpile either. Plus, I didn't get enough sleep.

So, what did I get done?

Though this was not on my to-do list, I used my very first homemade soap! I really like how it feels on my skin.
 
I cleaned the washer. I cleaned the lid with a damp cloth and scrubbed the tub with a bit of dish washing liquid. Then I ran an empty cycle with about three cups of vinegar. It doesn't look too bad now.
Cleaned washer.

The yard guy came to mow and cleared the flower bed. So technically I didn't do it, but the job was done.


I planted turnip seedlings and mustard greens.
Mustard greens.


Bitter gourd vines are taking over two fences. Most gourds turn yellow and fall while still small (I can't figure out why), but there are two gourds that look promising.
Bitter gourd vines are taking over everything in sight.


Bitter gourd.

I made dosa from fermented batter of Urad dal and rice flour. I also made potato curry and mint coconut chutney to go with dosa. I shared it with a friend and forgot to take photos.


So that's my week. I didn't add too many things to the next week's list. I downloaded three books: The Hygge Life by Gunnar Kari Gislason, The Rodale Book of Composting, and Mrs., Presumed Dead by Simon Brett. I want to finish at least one book.


Results of this week's to-do list:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters. - In progress.
2) Take an inventory of the stockpile. - Not done.
3) Sew curtain panels. - Not done. Need to buy thread.
4) Clean the washer.
5) Weed flower beds.
6) Thin mustard greens.
7) Do one hour of yoga.
8) Sleep 7 hrs. - Didn't go well this week. Maximum was about 6 1/2 hours.


Tasks for the next week:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters.
2) Take an inventory of the stockpile.
3) Sew curtain panels.
4) Finish one book.
5) Do one hour of yoga.
6) Sleep 7 hrs.


I hope you all have a great week!




XX
Nil





28 comments:

  1. Well you got pretty much done...you just need to get more sleep. A shame about the thread...sewing encompasses all these little things. I hate it when I have to wind a new bobbin!
    That is a neat gourd...I'll have to look it up. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bitter gourd is a good source of various vitamins and antioxidants, but quite bitter. So it's not a very popular vegetable. :)

      Delete
  2. Nil, at least you are getting something done. I find it really pays to make a list. Just as long as you don't forget where you put it like I do :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheee Chel, I keep my to-do list on the iPad. So I can't blame on missing lists, it's just me being lazy. :)

      Delete
  3. You've been so busy. I'm glad the soap has worked well for you, it should last you a long time.
    Sleep is lacking here too and I've just started yoga so I'm hoping it might help. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to hear that you've started yoga, Jules.
      In my case, reading keeps me from sleeping early. I should have more self-discipline. :)

      Delete
  4. Your washer looks pristine! Odd about the bitter gourds. Maybe those that are left will grow to maturity and ripen. Can I just say how DELICIOUS mint coconut chutney sounds?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Priscilla, my washer is very old and there are several rust spots on the lid. I hope it will last several more years.

      The problem with these gourds is that they turn yellow too early while they are still small. These gourds should be eaten when green and they are not supposed to turn yellow that soon. I have to find a gourd expert and ask for their opinion. :)

      Delete
  5. I would love a washing machine like yours, love the top loaders, hard to find around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that some people have mold problems with front loaders. This washer came with the house and is a very simple old one. No digital displays, no fancy settings. :)

      Delete
  6. oh congrats on using your soap for the first time! Isn't it such a great feeling?

    Your cooking sounds delish! And sometimes that's simply the way with lists, the thing is they will never really be finished so no need to worry about not finishing them!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. I never thought I would be able to make soap. I love using something that I made, with only four ingredients.

      I like your positive attitude about lists. :)

      Delete
  7. Hello Nil,

    Glad you were able to clean your washing machine
    it looks so good. You will feel much better about
    using it now.

    How lovely you are enjoying your soap must be nice
    knowing you have made it yourself.

    Hope you have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Fiona. I love the texture of these soaps. They are softer than store bought ones, and have no irritating scents. :)

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you had a full and busy week. What will you do with bitter gourds? I must look them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I think I will make a raw bitter gourd salad with one. If I have a couple more I'll make a curry with tomato gravy.

      Delete
  9. I hope you'll share the recipe for mint coconut chutney, Nil. I adore chutneys of all kinds. I borrowed lots of books from library to read, as it's school holidays here, and so far I've finished one while slothing around on Sunday. I might read more today too because it's overcast and showery here so far today. Perfect weather for reading. I think you've got quite a bit done in between lots of work at school. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, I normally don't measure ingredients. I will make a proper recipe and post it soon. This time I used about a handful of mint leaves, two springs of curry leaves, two small cloves of garlic, a very small onion, about a cup of frozen grated coconut, about 1 inch of ginger, 1 table spoon of tamarind paste. Put all in a chopper and process until you have a smooth paste.
      Some then cook it in a bit of oil, chopped shallots and dried chili peppers, but I like mine raw.

      I hope you have a relaxing holiday season.

      Delete
  10. Hi Nil, You did a beautiful job cleaning your washer. I have a top loader, too. I love it. I've had it for over thirty years, and it works perfectly. How exciting that you are now using your homemade soap! It will become milder with time. I just love using it. I still look forward to each shower and bath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I must check how old my washer is. It came with the house. It must be old because it doesn't have any digital settings. It's wonderful that you have a very reliable washer. They are extremely hard to find these days.

      Delete
  11. I am so pleased you love the feel of your first soap. In the light of your busy work, your achievements are great. I hope you managed to find white thread. Reading about your food makes me hungry! Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina. I already bought thread. Now I have to find time to use it. :)
      I hope you are having a great week at work and home.

      Delete
  12. You've had a busy week with work and such. Always hard to accomplish much at home when one is working, but you have quite a few items crossed off your list, so that is good. How wonderful to be able to use your own soap that you made! Your washer looks nice and clean! Mine is old, too (bought it in 1992). Yum! Dosa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I have to pull the washer out and check if there's a date on it. It looks very old fashioned but I don't know the exact age. 😊
      Your washer must be a very good brand, Bless. Would you mind letting me know the brand of your washer?

      Delete
  13. Nice to hear what you have been up to Nil.It makes for a busy but fulfilling life doesn't it. Your dosa and mint coconut chutney sound really interesting and tasty. A recipe blog for those would be popular one day, I'm sure. Thanks, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline.
      My problem is I rarely measure ingredients, so it's not easy to post a 'proper' recipe. I'll try. 😊

      Delete
  14. I kwym about getting a lot of work done at school, but not so much at home. I feel the same qway this week and last. Your washer looks good. They can get so dirty with laundering so much. I hope you have a great week, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda.
      I hope your weekend will be a restful one. Teaching is not easy.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻