Sunday, September 30, 2018

Repairs Repairs Repairs

The past week has been a week full of repairs.
Sometimes I think being a homeowner is not easy. When I was a renter, weekends were mostly very relaxing. If I needed something repaired I called the maintenance guy. Now it's different. To save money I have to get several estimates, check references and make appointments to get a repair done. And it can be expensive. If I choose to do repairs with the help of my friends, I can save some money, but it takes a lot of time.

I was planning to sew curtain panels, but this is how my sewing machine looks now. 😩


The bobbin winder broke. So I had to open the machine, take the piece out, and fix it. The pieces were glued together and I'm waiting until it dries. A sewing machine repairman asked for $80 to fix it. I looked up the part online and found it for $20. If glue doesn't work I will buy the part and install it myself.

Then the AC started making a weird noise. It was not draining well. A friend cleaned the pipe and added a cleaning valve. I know I'm on borrowed time with the AC, so I have to set aside money for a new one.

I still didn't have time to install the shutters. But I did make an inventory of the stockpile. I cleaned the shelves and organized everything in a more orderly manner. I noticed that I have two big cans of beans and green beans that I bought during the last hurricane season. They have expiration dates until next June, but I think I will use it up after the end of the current hurricane season. I also made a list of things needed for restocking.




My phone is also behaving strangely. Sometimes it freezes. It's almost 7 years old now and perhaps it's time to buy a new one. I need to buy a new hard drive too.

I didn't have time to read at least one chapter, let alone finish a book. So I'll be happy if I can read a couple of chapters this week. There are three exams coming up, so I will be busy grading them.

Results of this week's to-do list:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters. - In progress.
2) Take an inventory of the stockpile.
3) Sew curtain panels.- Not done.
4) Finish one book. - Not done.
5) Do one hour of yoga.
6) Sleep 7 hrs. - Not done.

Tasks for the next week:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters.
2) Sew curtain panels (if the machine is repaired).
3) Read a book.
4) Clean the front door.
5) Do yoga.
6) Sleep 7 hrs.

Overall it was not a week I'd like to repeat. It was too stressful. I hope this week (and the new month) will be more productive.

How was your week? Hope it was very productive and way better than mine. 😊

XX
Nil



28 comments:

  1. Wow...I never knew what the inside of a sewing machine looked like! On my old Brother machine, the bobbin winder broke. (very annoying!) I bought a $25 bobbin winder to make up for that. (I have a newer machine now). Yes, always something to fix with home ownership! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I didn't know there were bobbin winders. If my repair doesn't work I'm going to buy one too. :)

      Delete
  2. Nil, I am so impressed that you were able to open up your sewing machine and fix it, yourself! Wow! I'm sorry you are having so many things starting to break/needing repairs or replacement. That is definitely the downside of being a homeowner. You have to fix it yourself or get someone to fix it for you and that takes both time and money. I hope the new month and the new week will be a good one for you. Just do what you can and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless, don't be too impressed. I wouldn't touch the electrical parts. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, that's a lot of repairs. I am so impressed that you opened up your sewing machine and that you are fixing it yourself. Wow! It is probably no consolation but I feel that I have achieved nothing at all this past week. Just bumbled my way through the days, hoping for the week to end. I did listen to audiobooks while doing chores, which was nice and I guess it counts as fun. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your new week is more fun. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, I'm not sure if my repair is going to work. Opening up the machine was easy, but it was a struggle to remove the part without breaking it more. :)

      I hope this week is more productive for you.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! Good on you for having a go at repair- we need to be able to do these things, and they extend the life of something if we can. That is why I use vintage sewing machines, because they are so easy to fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, earthmotherwithin. My machine is mainly plastic. No wonder things break easily. My mom has an old Singer machine, and it still works well. I'm going to see if I can find a vintage sewing machine at a thrift store. They are simple and easier to fix if something breaks.

      Delete
  5. It's tough when things all decide to break or quit working properly all at once! Finances can really take a hit then. You are really resourceful though in mending, fixing and replacing yourself what you can. So far, this past couple of months, we have had to replace our old dishwasher which just quit working, repaired our cooktop and I had to get a new phone too as first I broke the screen on my old one and then I lost it after I had that repaired. Grrr...I was very cranky with myself about that phone:/ We are currently getting a quote for the repair of our old sagging driveway gates. We hope still to be able to use the frames but the posts need replacing so hopefully that will be possible. I hope the coming week is a better one for you. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, I hope you will have the gates repaired for a reasonable price.
      This house came with all old appliances and a non-working dishwasher. That's why I could afford it. heheee Now I have to replace them one by one.

      Delete
  6. Hi Nil, Repairs do take time and money, and you have a busy life with your work. It will be easier when you are retired. Just think, your home will be paid off, and you will have lots of time to sew, garden, and read. I'm sure it's a challenge right now, but you are doing really well. Hopefully next weekend will be more fun and relaxing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stephanie, sometimes I dream about retirement. I can't afford to do it yet though. :)

      Delete
  7. I agree Nil, being a home owner can be very stressful. You're on the right track though, repairing what you can yourself, or asking friends to help. I enjoyed having a peek in your pantry, when I visited my daughter in Ohio, we always drank Bigelow tea! Since being back from my time away,apart from the everyday chores, I've added some plants to the garden, done quite a bit of weeding and mulching, made some soft toys for a charity, they're waiting to be stuffed, and sewn some curtains for a friend's motor home.....not too bad for a short week. I hope this coming first week of October is kinder to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nanette.
      You've been busy. I hope it's easier to work in the garden now since it's still early summer for you.

      Delete
  8. Well done for tackling the sewing machine, I hope you can repair it to save yourself a fortune.
    I love seeing inside pantries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene. If my repair doesn't work I'm going to buy a bobbin winder. It's still cheaper than paying $80 to fix the broken one.

      Delete
  9. I've never seen the inside of a modern sewing machine. Cool. And good for you for tackling it yourself. I hope this week is less stressful for you. (Stress, blech!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My week was busy with work and will be this week too. I'm trying to keep things going at home too, but some of my work is falling behind. It's all part of working though, comes with the territory. Next week is fall break, so I can catch up some. I know what you mean about repairs. It seems like there is always something that needs maintaining. I hope this week is less stressful for you and you have a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. I hope you get to both catch up with house work and relax during your fall break.
      We only have spring break, so no long breaks this semester. :)

      Delete
  11. That was quite a week for you. I agree-with home ownership comes the long inevitable list of repairs and upkeep. Tick one off the list and it seems another item gets added to the end. Here's to a quieter, saner week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. This week is not bad so far. And I don't get to do any repairs during the week anyway. :)

      Delete
  12. Well done on your home repairs Nil, give yourself a huge pat on the back.After dealing with a few sewing machines which were old and would have cost a fortune to fix I bought a new one a couple of years ago, however I also earned that they have to be used regularly or they start to break down. So thanks for the reminder, I must get mine out again and do some sewing. Hope your next week is better. p.s. There is more satisfaction and security in owning your own home than renting. Take care, Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pauline, when I'm overwhelmed with home repairs I try to remember the advantages of having my own place. 😊





      Delete
  13. As former home owners who are now apt dwellers we know what it’s like when things start to break downand ned repair or replacement. We bought an old home that needed work and were never without weekend or weekday projects, as we were retired already. You are learning much and at times it seems frustrating, but I am sure you do enjoy your place as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy having my own place Beatrice. But sometimes it's easy to forget that when things start breaking. 😊

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻