Thursday, September 13, 2018

My Happy Place

Home is my happy place. Though I like visiting new places very much, I don't enjoy traveling nonstop. I need a place to call home, a place to potter around, and a garden to grow veggies. When someone asks me what my plans are for the weekend often my answer is staying home. I never find it boring. I can always find things to do. Either these are day to day mundane tasks like cleaning, laundry, cooking or  something exciting like trying a new recipe, reading a book, sewing or crafting - I just love staying home.




Sometimes I sit on the sofa and enjoy the silence. The road I live on is not a busy one. There's a spring lake behind the house, so I hear birds singing, squirrels chirping and  occasionally ducks quacking. I hear oak leaves rustling in the wind. No TV, no radio, just me and my thoughts. This is one of my favorite quotes by Virginia Woolf.

"How much better is silence; the coffee cup, the table. How much better to sit by myself like the solitary sea-bird that opens its wings on the stake. Let me sit here for ever with bare things, this coffee cup, this knife, this fork, things in themselves, myself being myself. "




My humble little home brings me so much joy. As I write this, I hear the soothing sound of a clock ticking in the dining room, and the low rumble of a distant thunder. A frog croaks once in a while, probably happily awaiting more rain. On rainy days I love to snuggle on the sofa  with a hot cup of tea and a good book. I find the sound of rain so calming.

I expect a rainy night tonight. And a restful sleep.





I hope you too have a peaceful day.


XX

Nil




30 comments:

  1. I am a homebody too, Nil. I love our house and garden, our quiet little street in our peaceful neighbourhood is my haven. I always look forward to holidays too but, like you, I love coming home again. I don't get bored at home either, there's always something I'm doing or working on or there's those moments, sitting in the warmth on our verandah where doing nothing except watching the trees sway or the kookaburras swoop in, feel just right. It's lovely you've made a home for yourself that you love so much. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, no wonder we all hang around the same crowd and blogs. I think most of us who like cooking , gardening and live a simple life like staying home. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photographs, Nil. I love spending time at home, too. Have always been a homebody. Your house looks so clean and loved. Enjoy your tea and solitude...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie. Posts about your little cottage and garden inspire me.

      Delete
  3. Nil, I wouldn't mind a rainy night as well. Glad you are not bothered by Hurricane Florence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I'm far away from Florence, Chel. But the hurricane season is not over yet...

      Delete
  4. What a peaceful and soothing post. I too am a homebody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post Nil and it is lovely to read how much your home means to you. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos reveal a lovely home and your words describe a very serene and peaceful one. I am so glad your home is your happy place. That's how it should be, I think. I, too, enjoy being at home. My house could do with a little more TLC, as it has been neglected, recently, but I'll be taking care of that, little by little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless, you have been busy. And you've just started a new phase in your life. :)
      I also do things around the home little by little in order to save time, energy and money.

      Delete
  7. This is a beautiful blog post, Nil. There is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. You are so right, there is no place like home. :)

      Delete
  8. You are content! That is wonderful! I also love to just listen to the sounds of the little birds, etc. Your lake behind your house provides a lot of homes for little critters! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had deer like you Andrea. I love seeing wildlife as long as they don't eat my plants. :)

      Delete
  9. It's true what they say, There is no place like home.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so true, Nil,nthat there is no place like your home. We also enjoy traveling and after a lengthy riad trip this summer we were happy to return. Rainy days and nights are my favorites as well and snowy days are a follow-up. Thanks for the somment on our blog and hope your friend is able to find info on her family tree as well as it’s a deep rabbit hole for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice, it's so true that tracing the family tree is very exciting. I already gave my friend the links you had on your post. :)

      Delete
  11. Your post made me smile, thanks. I love the quote and your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy my home very much, just like you do. I have my favourite corners in the house and I make time every day to enjoy the comforts of my small world. Have a good weekend, hopefully not with too much rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have my favorite corners Christina. :) That's where I always do my reading.

      Delete
  13. I will be so pleased to have my little bit of paradise again. Thank-you for such a lovely worded post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this an exciting time for you Deb. I look forward to reading about your new home.

      Delete
  14. Nils-this is my first time commenting event though I am a faithful reader of your wonderful blog. Your home sounds lovely and peaceful. I also am happy to stay at home, enjoying the simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, your name is very familiar. :)
      Thank you for commenting. It seems that most of us are homebodies who appreciate simple living. No wonder we flock together on the same forums and blogs. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻