My sewing machine repair didn't go well. I glued and reattached the broken bobbin winder, but when I was putting things back together, I noticed that there was an extra small piece of wire. I just couldn't remember where it should go.
| The mysterious part. |
I should have taken photos or made notes before removing parts! Oh, well. I spent sometime going through the diagrams in the repair manual, but I couldn't figure out where this wire should be. The machine still works, except the bobbin winder. It doesn't spin properly.
A part of me wants to buy a bobbin winder and be done with it. But the stubborn side of me wants to fix this somehow.
The week was less stressful, even with the unsuccessful machine repair. I started reading a fiction, Mrs., Presumed Dead by Simon Brett, but didn't find it very interesting. So I went to the library and borrowed three craft books.
I'm participating in a Christmas swap on the Homemaker's Forum. I wanted to find an idea for the swap item, but didn't find anything appropriate in these books. I want to start making the swap item soon, as it is going to Australia.
A friend was decluttering his closet and gave me a bagful of shirts and ties. There are 12 solid colored shirts, so I decided to make a simple quilt for my bed.
The week was uneventful with regular chores: cooking, laundry, and cleaning. The work at school was less demanding as well, so I think I'm back to my normal self. I am not good at working under stress and so many deadlines. Routines and familiar tasks make me content and happy no matter how mundane they are.
I cleaned the front door and changed the wreath on the door. It's not a fancy one. I had glued sunflowers onto a small wreath that I bought for $2.50 a while ago. The flowers had all faded so I removed them and added some purple ones. They are not really fall colors, but I don't do seasonal decorations and I didn't have any fall colors anyway.
I have been watching an amazing documentary series on Netflix. It's called South Pacific, and explains the natural history and wildlife of the South Pacific region. After watching several episodes, now I have more destinations added to my travel list. 😊
Results of this week's to-do list:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters. - This is going very slowly.
2) Sew curtain panels. - Not done.
3) Read a book.
4) Clean the front door.
5) Do yoga. - Not done yet, but will do tonight.
6) Sleep 7 hrs.
Tasks for the next week:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters.
2) Sew curtain panels.
3) Fertilize garden.
4) Cut quilt blocks.
5) Start the Christmas swap item.
6) Do yoga.
7) Sleep 7 hrs.
Have a great week everyone.
XX
Nil
Have a great week everyone.
XX
Nil
Hi Nil, Oh, that's too bad about the wire for your sewing machine. I am so impressed that you have been trying to fix it. I would have juat taken it to the Vac and Sew guy. (and probably have spent $100.00.) Your crafting books look like fun. I like your purple wreath, too. Thanks for reminding me, I need to change my front door decoration, too.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I will spend that much for this repair Stephenie. I can buy a separate bobbin winder for about $20, so that's my plan B. :)
DeleteNil, you are very brave trying to fix your sewing machine. Perhaps take the wire to a sewing machine place and they might know where it came from. It is good to have an uneventful week...less stress that way.
ReplyDeleteI'll see Chel. I opened the machine again, and I'll give myself another couple of hours before giving up. :)
DeleteI like the sound of your re-purposed quilt making Nil.....will you show us progress pictures? I wonddr where the little wire belongs.....good on you for perservering with the repair yourself. I've joined an Aussie Christmas Swap, but it's for knitted or crocheted decorations. I think it's easier with a limited choice. I've just found a new crime/thriller writer you might like ...Graham Masterton, perhaps youd library will have him? 9
ReplyDeleteI just started cutting up shirts. One down, 11 more to go. :) I will take photos sometime this week. I haven't decided a pattern yet, and simply cut 5 x 5 inch squares so far.
DeleteI haven't read any books by Graham Masterton, Nanette. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see if my library carries his books. :)
I hope that you can figure out where the wire goes. It's expensive to take a sewing machine to the repair shop, so like you, I try to fix mine when it does things like that too. I love the new wreath you put on the door, so pretty. I hope you have a good week, Nil. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, Belinda. I didn't realize how expensive it can be until I called several repair shops. :)
DeleteSorry about that extra piece of wire, Nil! I looked at the photo you had posted last week, of the opened machine to see if I could see where such a piece of wire might have been, but I couldn't tell. My bobbin winder post has a small wire like thing, fitted into it - could it be something like that? I like your purple flower wreath! I'm glad your week was less stressful and hope next week will be less stressful, as well. Those crafts books look interesting. I am always looking for scrap crafts! Have fun making your quilt!
ReplyDeleteHi Bless, this wire is not from the bobbin winder post. I replace the broken post, and it has a different wire. This mysterious one came from inside.
DeleteYou inspired me to make a quilt. It's not going to be as pretty as yours, but I'll post photos later. :)
Bummer about the sewing machine, but the good thing is the worst thing that can happen is the machine refuses to work, and there are tons of used, good, inexpensive sewing machines on the market.
ReplyDeleteYour wreath is adorable. I like a lot of colours, but purple is one of my favorites.:-)
Fortunately, the machine still works. I can't use the bobbin winder. So either I have to manually fill bobbins or buy a separate winder. I think buying a winder will be good for my sanity. :)
DeleteToo bad about your bobbin winder. The wreath is lovely and I am sure it will look festive on the door. I don't do wreaths except at Christmas, but now that our front door has been refinished and is looking so nice I just might add some year-round decorations. I am not participating in the mentioned Christmas exchange so I am eager to see what you come up with for your partner.
ReplyDeleteI haven't still decided what to make as the swap item. It's going to be some type of Christmas decoration, but no definite idea yet. :)
DeleteHopefully you can figure out where the wire goes. If not, I bought a cheap bobbin winder for about 10 bucks and it was a fantastic investment. (Of course I bought it years ago when 10 was probably more like 20 now)
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading and commenting, Anne. :)
DeleteYes, I searched several sites and found that I could buy a simple bobbin winder for about $20. That's my plan B. :)
Keeping my fingers crossed for your bobbin winder repair :-)
ReplyDeleteI am glad your week was less stressful. If you have any fabric left from your quilt, you could make a couple of scrappy quilted place mats, or pot holders for your swap. I made some potholders with my boys, it was fun and quick to make. Here is the link to the blog post with the potholders because it is easier to show than to explain how we made them. You could also add a bar of your lovely soap to the swap. x
Christina, I don't see a link. I'll check your blog if the link is to one of your posts. 😊
DeleteMy swap partner prefers a Christmas themed item. I don't want to say too much about what I make, until she receives it. I want it to be a surprise. 😀
I love finding good craft books at the library, Nil. I borrowed one today for little sweet things you can make with hand stitched felt. I'm sure I eill find a project in there! I admire your perseverence with fixing your sewing machine, that pesky wire must go in there somewhere! Meg☺
ReplyDeleteMeg, I hope you will do a post about your crafts. Once I made Christmas ornaments with felt and buttons. And I'd love to see your felt crafts. :)
DeleteI love the repairing Nil - clearly that bit of wire was decorative!! I'm similar in that I love to try and figure things out for myself. My most recent attempt was a dust buster...but when I investigated I would have need a soldering-iron to fix it so I had to admit defeat. It is so satisfying though when you get a success.
ReplyDeleteThese days a fiction book has to really grab me too. Mostly I stick to non-fiction. But occasionally a little escapism is good.
Nice to catch up on your happenings. i've been a little slack with reading and commenting my fave blogs of late as life has been hectic.
Hope you are enjoying some cooler fall weather now.
Cheers,
Laura :)
Ah Laura, using a soldering iron is not difficult. If you like to do repairs, it's a good tool to have. :)
DeleteActually I gave another try to read Mrs., Presumed Dead, and it begins to sound interesting after chapter 2. Now I want to hurry up and read it before the ebook expires. :)
I like the mundane, routine, also! (And documentaries!) Ahh...a shame about the sewing machine piece. I once had an older neighbor who took apart his car (as his wife was hurriedly running out and making labels for the parts...she must have known...) and he had one part that he had no idea where it went! lol Andrea
ReplyDeleteLOL, I normally take photos when I dismantle something, but this time didn't. I was too impatient.
DeleteJust yesterday I figured out where the wire should go. The bobbin winder is another story. :)
So pleased that things are settling down for you Nil. I didn't enjoy work related stress, that's for sure. I love the idea of a door wreath during the year to reflect the seasons. It must be an American custom. I remember now seeing them when we were in the U.S. a few years ago. Very attractive.I'd like to hear more about them. We only do it at Christmas time over here, but what a lovely way to celebrate our Spring. Pauline.
ReplyDeleteMost people in my neighborhood do seasonal decorations Pauline. I'm too lazy to change things that often. :)
DeleteAnd some of these wreaths can be very expensive. That's another reason why I keep the same wreath throughout the year. :)
Even if you had a spare piece left over, your repair seems to have gone well, Nil. And, you have accomplished more in your week than I have in my own.
ReplyDeleteI found where the spare piece should go. The repair is unsuccessful so far. :)
Delete