I visited several furniture stores and learned that a good quality sofa in a style I like can be expensive. The least expensive one was around $1500. I was also checking sofas at thrift stores. I wanted a real wood sofa with clean lines, and I found that I kept gravitating toward vintage styles. I was even ready to reupholster it if the sofa ticked all the boxes except color.
Then I saw a sofa at my favorite thrift store. It was $299 and they didn't want to lower the price. After several weeks the sofa disappeared. I thought it must have been sold but I was told that it had been moved to another branch about 20 miles away. Today the college is closed, so I decided to visit this branch of the thrift store because I had never been there. When I walked in, what did I see? The same sofa! The price was now $199. I knew I had to have it delivered and the delivery charge was $ 49.50. I decided if I could buy it for $150 including delivery, I would. So that's what I did. Finally I bought a sofa!
| New to me sofa. |
It's real wood, so that's a plus. I also like the style. This sofa is longer than the old one, so I can fully lie down without bending my knees, or hurting my neck.
Google tells me the style is either a Chippendale style or Queen Anne style camelback sofa. I am not sure about the exact style. If anyone identifies this style, could you please let me know. There's a label that says "Fairfield, Quality Since 1920". I think this sofa was probably made in 70's , I can't find any other markings. It has S- springs, not coil springs so the sofa is not antique or a high end piece.
I'm not crazy about the color. The fabric on the sofa back is still in good quality, but the pink color has faded on the seat cover. The middle leg needs a touch of paint as well.
So I'm going to reupholster the sofa. I am confident that I can make the seat cover, but I have no clue about anything else yet. I have to research more about furniture reupholstering. I'm already thinking about fabric colors. 😊
Another exciting project!
Have you ever reupholstered a sofa? Or have a professional upholsterer do it for you?
XX
Nil
Another exciting project!
Have you ever reupholstered a sofa? Or have a professional upholsterer do it for you?
XX
Nil
Congrats! you were very fortunate! And to think the price was lower at the other store! It pays to wait and to thoroughly shop. So true that the seat cover would be easy to make. You could put on a slipcover for the main frame, and then place the seat cushion on, and it would be semi-fitted at least. It will be fun to see what you do. Andrea
ReplyDeleteThanks Andrea. The other thrift store is in a smaller town, so they prices are a bit lower. :)
DeleteThat is a gorgeous sofa. Well done!
ReplyDeleteThank you earthmotherwithin. :)
DeleteGreat bargain, Nil. What colour do you think you will choose for the new fabric? Meg
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure yet, Meg. I prefer earth tones. I want it to be machine washable as well. And the price should be right too. :)
DeleteOh I LOVE it, Nil. It looks vintage to me. Such beautiful lines. Congratulations. It looks like good wood, too. I've been told that the heavier pieces of furniture are older. They are usually so well made. What a find!
ReplyDeleteThanks Stephenie. I too love the lines. I don't like too puffy sofas. :)
DeleteWhat a beautiful shape, and well done for getting such a great deal. Good luck with the recovering project, it's not something I've ever attempted.
ReplyDeleteThank you Thrift Deluxe. Reupholstering won't be very easy, but I'm excited to try. As long as I don't ruin the sofa, heheee.
DeleteWell done Nil, you are one savvy shopper. Nice sofa too, very elegant and I love the Regency stripe. Looking forward to seeing how you transform it.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nanette. I might use a similar pattern (stripes) if I can find a washable fabric. :)
DeleteStripes sound good, fun to be on the hunt for your perfect.....and budget?...fabric. And saw your comment on my latest blog post, but I don't know what happened to it after I hit publish? So wanted to say thanks for visiting :)
DeleteHa, it must be the work of internet gremlins, Nanette. :)
DeleteIt's a lovely sofa! I have had experience re-upholstering, but not always successfully.:-( It's hard. Don't let my experience scare you, though. I have a feeling you are more tenacious with such things than I am.
ReplyDeleteI watched several YouTube videos, and it doesn't look very easy. But I'm going to try anyway. :)
DeleteWhat did you reupholster? A sofa?
It was a chair with a curved back. I never was satisfied with the results, so I ended up slip covering it instead.
Delete:)
DeleteLovely sofa, waiting certainly paid off.
ReplyDeleteIt truly did Marlene. :)
DeleteThe sofa is beautiful and being well made should last you many, many years. Over the years we bought very high quality furniture with the knowledge that it will be used for the rest of our lives. All of the couches and chairs have been re-upholstered at least once in 30 plus years. You need to know that we had 2 sons (smelly, large, boisterous, collectors of friends with similar traits) who were really tough on fabrics. Every time I used a professional upholsterer who did an outstanding job and always commented how well the frames/springs were made. Good for you to attempt to do the job yourself!
ReplyDeleteWhen I was searching for a sofa, I learned a lot about the construction of high quality ones. If the frame and springs are well made, they last a long time. If this one lasts 15 years I'll be happy. :)
DeleteWhat a lovely sofa and such a good bargain! You bought it and had it delivered for less than the asking price for the sofa, itself! I am looking forward to see how you reupholster it. I tried sewing a slip cover for one of the sofas I had; the seat cushions weren't hard to do, but the rest of it was a little difficult. But, I'm sure you can do it, yourself. There are several how-to books and videos. In the meantime, slipcovers, or blankets, or quilts will provide a temporary solution.
ReplyDeleteIt's the power of negotiation, Bless. Hehee. Not mine though. I dragged a friend with me who is a master negotiator. If I had tried, I would have gotten at most $50 discount. :)
DeleteOnce I tried sewing a fitted slip cover. After seeing several reupholstering videos , it looks like a bit easier job than making a fitted slip cover, because you don't have to cut fabric to the shape of the sofa. They use rectangular pieces and drape over the cotton padding. Then smooth it out and use tacks to secure the fabric to the frame.
Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I'll see how it goes. :)