When I bought this house about 1 1/2 years ago, there were no flowers in the garden. Not a single one, except weeds. So once I moved in and settled down, I decided that it was time to make the front garden a bit colorful.
A little by little I bought flower pots, and several plants from yard sales and gardening centers.
I made a flower bed along the front of the house and planted Petunia. These flowers are so fragile, but they grow very easily. I like low maintenance flowers. π
I also have purple Porterweed, Tibouchina, pink Four O'Clocks, and red Salvia now. I think I need yellow and white flowers also, because most of my flowers are shades of purple, red and pink, though I didn't plan it that way. π
So these are the flowers in my front garden so far.
| Petunia. |
| Porterweed. |
| Tibouchina. |
| Tibouchina. |
| Four O'Clocks. |
| Four O'Clocks. |
| Salvia. |
What are blooming in your garden now?
XX
Nil
Hi Nil, Flowers make all of the difference. The bees love them, too. Four o'clocks come in yellow and white. Yours all look very healthy. Their color is nice and bright. I've got pumpkins, zucchini, zinnias, and basil in bloom right now. There are two small Cinderella pumpkins on the vines.
ReplyDeleteIt's so nice to have homegrown veggies, Stephenie. I only have herbs and several types of greens at the moment.
DeleteI'm going to see if I can find yellow Four o'clocks. I think I need something yellow. :)
They are beautiful Nil. I haven't made a lot of effort with the garden this year, so it is currently looking a little sad and empty, now the vegetables are all gone.
ReplyDeleteJust some herbs, shrubs and of course, the tree saplings. X
Having homegrown herbs is great Jules. I also don't have anything edible except some herbs and greens now. :)
DeleteYour flowers are just beautiful, it is so nice to step outside the door and see such beauty, I might write about the garden again soon, lots of work to do outside today, I love spending time in the garden, I lose myself, very relaxing and therapeutic.
ReplyDeleteI love your garden Marlene. I completely agree with you, I too love being among plants. It's so therapeutic.
DeleteYour flowers are pretty. We have blooms on our "little gem" magnolia tree. It's not a fragrant tree like the big magnolias, but it's sturdy and has lots of late-blooming flowers. It'll bloom all the way into December, and the bees love it.
ReplyDeleteI need to plant several trees, so I'm going to see if I can find a dwarf magnolia at the gardening center. :)
DeleteAll your flowers look healthy and happy. I have one set of petunias that I will attempt to carry over the winter by chopping them down severely. I have just replaced many pots of marigolds, zinnias and petunias with violas, pansies and snapdragons. The pots of impatiens are still holding their own. In the garden we have carrots, spinach, lettuce, radishes and the last of the red bell peppers going strong.
ReplyDeleteI like marigolds, but the one I had died several months ago. :(
DeleteI've never grown carrots.
Pretty flowers! We bought our house almost 2 years ago and same thing...no flowers! I don't know how people can live without planting flowers! lol Andrea
ReplyDeleteI guess some people don't have enough time for gardening, Andrea. Or maybe they don't like colorful things. :)
DeleteYour garden flowers are beautiful! Four-o-clocks (or Mirabilis) have the ability to have different colored flowers on the same plants and, sometimes, one flower can have two colors! I have some magenta colored four-o-clocks that have yellow flowers and some yellow flowered plants that have yellow and pink splotched flowers.
ReplyDeleteI really don't have a lot of flowers in my garden, right now. The four-o-clocks, some gazania, a hibiscus, the pink oleander, and the blue salvia that I planted. The calamondin tree is also flowering and the flowers perfume the entire back garden.
I remember seeing white and yellow Four o'clocks in Sri Lanka. Don't they open around 4 pm over there?
DeleteHibiscus is popular in this area. One of my neighbors has several plants.
I have several citrus plants that I grew from seeds. Unfortunately labels are all gone now, so I don't know if they are lemon, lime or grapefruit. LOL
You're flowers are looking so pretty, Nil, I love having their colour in the garden and plant lots......so there's nasturtiums, violas, petunias, pansies, grevilla and other natives, cucumbers and beans are flowering, roses, geraniums....the list goes on lol I've had those 4 o'clocks growing but someone told me they were called Ladies of the Night, because they co e out late in the day.
ReplyDeleteIn Sri Lanka people say that Four o'clocks bloom in the afternoon (around 4 pm I guess) so you can tell the approximate time. Here I see they open even in the early afternoon. π
DeleteWe have cactus orchids, begonias, roses, zygocactus, pansies, cornflowers, calendulas, tibouchina and a few other bits and pieces flowing at the moment, Nil. I particularly love the tibouchina as it has such a vibrant colour.
ReplyDeleteOh yes Chel, I too love tibouchina. I saw it for the first time at a shopping center, and took me a while to find a plant. I've seen them grow very tall at a nearby plant nursery. I think there are several different varieties.
DeleteYour home must look so pretty with all the flowers you have planted, Nil. Salvias are one of my favourites, they are so hardy! Tibouchinas grow well in my area too, such a deep colour. MegπΊ
ReplyDeleteIt does look much better now Meg. I think it really looks like a home now, with flowers and several decorations. π
DeleteSimply Lovely Nil πΌ
ReplyDeleteThe Porterweed is a new one to me it is so pretty,
they are all Beautiful the colours are stunning.
You have chosen really well x
Thank you Fiona. I think Porterweed comes in different colors.
ReplyDeleteIt's just by an accident that all flowers turned out to be in similar colors. Actually I found most at garage sales, so the main reason is the lower cost. Heheee
You bought your house, 1 1/2 years ago. I am learning, by reading here. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely flowers you have planted. Oh it is all going to be lovely.
Btw, you will not see my name, among your Followers. Because I don't use that. I have the blogs I follow, on a private blog. Where I installed the Blogger Follow Gadget. There, new posts show up. And that is how I "follow."
I like to tell people because they might wonder, when they don't see me, on their Follow Place.
✨π✨π✨π✨
Thank you wisp of words. Beautifying the yard is a long term project. :)
Delete