Sunday, October 14, 2018

A Good Week

This weekend went too fast. I got a lot of things done, but  there are more that I didn't do. Sometimes I have too many things to do, but too little time.

Finally the big window in the spare room has shutters. Now all windows facing the front yard have plantation shutters and look decent. Shutters in the spare room  need magnetic catches, and several minor adjustments, but the main job is done. It's such a relief.


This room has another window and I already have a shutter for it. That's what you see in that photo, against the wall below the newly installed shutters.

I didn't have time to sew curtains yet, but I will do it next week. This is when I'm so glad that I don't live in an area with a home owners association. No one cares whether I have a window without matching curtains. 😤

The sewing machine is finally fixed. I found where the mysterious part should go. It has nothing to do with the bobbin winder! I found it in the repair manual and it's called 'needle bar crank rod assembly'. A long name for a tiny piece of wire. And I had to get help from a sewing machine repair person, who said that I already had all the pieces, and the spring that I suspected missing was actually a metal plate. I was looking for a coil spring!  Everything works fine now, and I have a working sewing machine.

I started the Christmas swap item, and 1/3 is done now. I want it to be a surprise for my swap partner, so I will post photos once she receives the gift.
I didn't have time to cut blocks for the quilt. May be I'll cut another shirt tonight.

This evening I fertilized the plants. I noticed that an insect (probably a lubber grasshopper) had eaten four o' clock leaves, so I sprinkled red chili powder, hoping it will discourage whoever eating the leaves.
Katuk plants have tiny flowers now. One has yellow flowers while the other two have red ones.

Yellow flowers.

Red flowers.
Next week I want to wash windows. After reading how Stephenie at The Awakened Soul washed windows with bar soap, I wanted to try it as well, but didn't have time last week. I normally use vinegar, but now I have homemade soap, so I will try Stephenie's method.

The weather is getting cooler. The past couple of days were cool and less humid. It's perfect weather to go to beach, but I had too many things to do at home. I'm glad that I stayed home in the weekend and got things done. Overall, it was a good week.

How was your weekend? I hope it was a relaxing one.

Results of this week's to-do list:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters.
2) Sew curtain panels. - Not done.
3) Fertilize garden.
4) Cut quilt blocks.
5) Start the Christmas swap item.
6) Do yoga. - Didn't do yoga this week.
7) Sleep 7 hrs. - Did on weekdays, but not in the weekend.


Tasks for the next week:
1) Sew curtain panels.
2) Cut quilt blocks.
3) Continue Christmas swap item.
4) Wash windows.
5) Iron clothes.
6) Do yoga.
7) Sleep 7 hrs.


XX
Nil



25 comments:

  1. Glad the sewing machine is operational again, Nil, and you apparently did a great job of re-assembling it aside from that one part. The shutters look nice too. We would sprinkle hot pepper flakes in the garden to discourage insects as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also sprinkle cinnamon powder for ants, Beatrice. It's a problem here - ants always build nests under pots. :(

      Delete
  2. Hi Nil, Thanks for the mention. Your shutters look fantastic! Congratulations on finishing fixing the sewing machine. Your garden looks very green and lush, too. Let me know how using the bar soap on windows works for you. I have also been using it in liquid form for cleaning counters, floors, etc...I am really happy with the results. I just grate it up and heat it on the stove with eight cups of water. I learned that on Rhonda's blog at Down To Earth. Homemade soap also makes a great stain remover stick for laundry. It has many uses. I'm sure you are enjoying your first batch of soap. It's such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you now how it works, Stephenie. Now that I have lots of bar soap, I'm going to make make some liquid soap as well. :)

      Delete
  3. Great that you fixed the sewing machine, Nil. Now you can sew those curtains whenever you are ready. The shutters look great! Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg. It's a relief to have a working machine again. :)

      Delete
  4. You are a sewing machine wizard Nil! I was thinking of you when I was sewing last week, wondering how the repair is going. I like your shutters, very pretty. I used to have shutters like this when I lived in Switzerland. Funny enough, in Switzerland, shutters are on the outside of the house! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same in Sri Lanka, Christina. Shutters are on the outside of the house. There's a metal rod and a latch to pull it in and close. In older houses windows have two sets of wooden shutters, one outside and one inside. They keep noise out very well.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you figured out where the extra sewing machine part went to, Nil. The shutters look so good. I've always liked those kind of window coverings. We used to have fur o'clocks in another house we lived in, I've always liked them. I also like the Cock's Comb flowers too. I hope you have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled Cock's Comb and realized that though I knew the flower, but didn't know it's name. :)
      I got this four o' clock plant for $1 at a garage sale. I'd like to have more in different colors. :)

      Delete
  6. Yay for the sewing machine being fixed. Yay for the shutters, too. The window looks great. I wasn't as physically active as you were this past weekend. I sat and worked on a book outline. In fact, I sat so long my hips got sore! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Priscilla. Is that a new book? Have you already finished the first one? I'm looking forward to reading it soon. :)

      Delete
    2. The first one gets another edit before anyone else can see it yet.:-) This is a new one I'm writing for NaNoWriMo (exciting!)

      Delete
  7. Excellent news about your sewing machine. The shutters look great. I have plantation shutters on most of our windows and I love how they can be used to efficiently keep the sun out of the house. I am eager to see what style of curtain you will put up with them. Mine are bare, but I have often wondered about using curtains in one guest room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I use curtains between the glass panel and the shutters. They are simple curtains with a pocket for the curtain rod. I think curtains provide more privacy when I open the shutter slats. Also I like the look of transparent curtains. :)

      Delete
  8. That's great about the sewing machine...ha! Mystery solved...you are smart! I guess you keep at problems until you solve them. I need to clean my windows again also...before they freeze! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay the sewing machine is fixed! Such a relief! And I love plantation shutters. So very pretty.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You fixed your sewing machine! That is so great! Hm, when are you coming to visit me? I have a sewing machine that quit working on me...Maybe I should take it apart and take a look! I am currently using my daughter's sewing machine as she left it at home.

    Your shutters look great! I'm glad you now have all the front windows fitted with shutters.

    You had a busy and productive weekend! I hope you had some time to relax, as well. Hope your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee if I lived close by, I'd come to your prayer gathering and also check your sewing machine. 😊

      Delete
  11. I have always liked shutters on the windows but have never done it on my windows. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the shutters. Looking at your list, I think I NEED A LIST, my head seems to be in a spin too much, time to take the bull by the horns and slow down the thought processes. Rambling as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making a list with not too many items helps me Deb. Otherwise my head also spins when there are too many things to do. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻