The weather is getting cooler now. It's a gorgeous day today, around 73F (23C).
I'm happy with the progress this week's to-do list. I didn't have time to mend the jeans, but I will do it later. I have to grade a stack of tests, so that's what I will do after I finish this post.
I cleaned all glass windows. I spent about thirty minutes cleaning the bathroom window because it had a fine layer of paint. I didn't realize it until I tried soap, vinegar and dish detergent on it. I think the previous owners were somewhat careless when spray painting walls and didn't bother to cover the glass window. I had to use a degreaser and then carefully scrape the paint with a razor blade.
While cleaning windows I realized that some of the shutters needed dusting. So I added it to the next week's to-do list.
I was struggling to read a book that I downloaded a while back. It's Georgette Heyer's Penhallow. I found it to be extremely boring. Life is too short to read boring books, so I downloaded Patricia Wentworth's The Key. I'm still on the 2nd chapter and it's already very interesting.
I would like to read a nonfiction next. Meg at A Hopeful Nature mentioned a book that she has been reading - Patchwork Prisoners by Trudy Cowley and Dianne Snowden. I like history, and the story of The Rajah Quilt sounds very interesting. Unfortunately, it's not available at my library. I'm going to see if the library can buy it for me.
I would like to read a nonfiction next. Meg at A Hopeful Nature mentioned a book that she has been reading - Patchwork Prisoners by Trudy Cowley and Dianne Snowden. I like history, and the story of The Rajah Quilt sounds very interesting. Unfortunately, it's not available at my library. I'm going to see if the library can buy it for me.
| Sprouting Avocado and scallions. |
Though I bought a sofa I didn't have time to start reupholstering yet. A friend and I have been working on installing a shutter on the second window of the spare room. Once it's done the only other window that needs shutters is the dining room window. The dining room is where I have the tools, so I want to clean it up a bit and organize the area.
Another task on the to-do list is making laundry liquid. I use store bought detergent for black pants, and homemade laundry liquid for everything else. I forgot that I had run out of homemade stuff, so yesterday I used store bought detergent to wash bed sheets and pillow cases. Then I spent a couple of hours suffering from itchy eyes a tingling nose. Fortunately I had previously washed bed sheets, so I didn't have to sleep on the one with fake detergent scent. One of the reasons that I use homemade laundry liquid is that I can't stand the scent of store bought ones. Even the most sensitive ones have some scent. So it's time to make another batch of laundry liquid.
How was your week? I hope it was just the way you wanted it to be. Are you reading any nonfictions?
Results of this week's to-do list:
1)
2)
3)
4) Mend a pair of jeans. - Not done.
5)
6) Sleep 7 hrs. - Mostly done. I slept at least 6 hours.
Tasks for the next week:
1) Dust all plantation shutters.
2) Make laundry liquid.
3) Mail Christmas swap item.
4) Cut more quilt blocks.
5) Mend a pair of jeans.
6) Mend a broken shoe.
7) Do yoga.
8) Sleep 7 hrs.
XX
Nil
What a beautiful view of your back garden, with a glimpse of the lake beyond! So much nicer than looking into a neighbor's back yard!
ReplyDeleteWell, now, making laundry detergent! I was just looking online at that very thing and reading up on it. I have not made my own laundry detergent, but was wondering if I should, as a cost cutting measure more than anything else. Would you mind posting about it when you make your next batch, please?
Bless, this is the recipe I use.
Deletehttps://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2010/08/homemade-laundry-liquid-revisited.html
I buy Fels Naptha laundry bar soap and grate it for the recipe.
Thank you for the link, Nil.
DeleteHi Nil, You can also grate your homemade soap to use in the washing powder or liquid. I know what you mean about using commercial laundry detergent. I bought some that was safe for septic tanks at Costco and had to return it. (This was years ago.) The scent really irritated me. I feel the same way now about scented candles. I love the smell of pure beeswax, though. Your view is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteHa! I completely forgot that I can grate homemade soap! Thank you Stephenie.
DeleteI do use homemade soap bars when I was clothes by hand. I will add grated soap to my next laundry liquid. :)
Though I still have one or two Fels Naptha bars.
You do have a beautiful view. It is finally cooler here and I am loving being able to turn off the a/c and leave the screen doors open.
ReplyDeleteI do not make my laundry detergent. We have very hard water and it just doesn't work, but I wish it did.
I too had my windows open yesterday Anne. It's so nice to finally have cooler weather. Enjoy! :)
DeleteI must look up that recipe for the homemade laundry soap again and give it a go. Thanks for the reminder Nil.You have a beautiful spot beside the lake.
ReplyDeleteI have been using the liquid version for about two years now, Pauline. It works well on my clothes, but my clothes don't get extremely dirty, and water here is not hard. I hope it works for you as well.
DeleteOur temps are about the same....your autumn, my spring, although it's cool for nearly November and I had to haul a jumper out again. Your week has gone well and you've crossed lots of your list, you must be feeling pleased. I've been sewing today, and doing some knotting for a swap. I had wanted to garden, but it's been raining a bit too heavily for that, so I stayed indoors and caught up. I like the sound of the book that Meg is reading too. The only non-fiction I've looked at is Elizabeth Gilbert's Big Magic, but I found it a bit slow so took it back. Like you, I think life's too short to read boring books.
ReplyDeleteI actually started wearing socks this morning. :) And took my flannel pajama out.
DeleteIt really feels good to cross things off the to-do list.
Oh how I would love that view from our window.
ReplyDeleteI struggle with books, I really can't read fiction anymore, much preferring, real life, history nature, cookery etc. I am planning on doing a post about books in a few weeks time.
I alternate between fiction and non fiction, Marlene.
DeleteI look forward to your post about books. I too like history. :)
I'm cleaning windows right now, also. I bet your window looks great now w/out the paint! As much as I love a good scent, I am now favoring unscented laundry detergent, and also with my homemade soaps. Andrea
ReplyDeleteOh yes Andrea. Yesterday I found myself looking at the window and admiring how clear it was every time I was in the bathroom. hehee
DeleteWhen I'm reading a boring book, I still find it hard to put down because I think surely the next chapter will be more interesting, especially if it's a highly-recommended book. Right now I'm reading Stein on Writing by Sol Stein. It's a fabulous book for those interested in how to make their fiction OR nonfiction writing better.
ReplyDeleteNormally I try to do that Priscilla. But this last book dragged on and on. It was supposed to be a murder mystery, but boy the author took a really long time to get to that point.
DeleteDusting and wiping down the shutters is one of those jobs that I need to work myself up to every few months. I have shutters on most of the windows and some of them are very tall. We just had our windows washed and they look so much better.
ReplyDeleteFortunately my windows are not too tall, Anita. So I can do it by myself. :)
DeleteI normally do it every 6 months or so.
Hello Nil
ReplyDeleteGood for you making your own detergent, I was thinking of using
soapnuts.
I am happy with the Liquid that we use its for sensitive skin
it does not really have a fragrance as such but I still
would like something more natural.
Upholstering is such a useful skill.Hope it works out well
for you, it's a lovely Sofa.
Hope you have a good week x
I've never used soap nuts Fiona. The ingredients I used are all readily available at the grocery store. I don't remember seeing soap nuts. Where do you buy them?
DeleteI have only seen them to buy in Online Health Food Stores.
ReplyDeleteOur local Health food store is very small,but if you have a larger
one locally especially if it's part of a chain they may have them.
They come in a large cotton bag with at least one smaller bag included
The smaller bag is used to put a few soap nuts inside for your wash.
The bags have a tight drawstring to keep the nuts from mixing around
with your washing.
There are quite a few review videos online some people use them to
make shampoo and handwash as well x
Thank you Fiona. We do have a health food store, I'll check there for soap nuts. 😊
DeleteThere is a group in my quilting association which is making replicas of the Rajah quilt! There is a pattern you can buy online apparently. I dislike applique so I won't make one, but I have seen the progress on the quilts the group is making and they will turn out to be lovely.
ReplyDeleteOh, that sounds very interesting earthmotherwithin. The Rajah quilt is absolutely beautiful.
DeleteHi Nil, yes, your view is lovely and at times I do miss being able to sit outdoors on the front porch as we did at our former VA home. Sadly, we do not have that here in our apt. That said, we do have a lovely view of the Nashua River from the 5th floor. i agree with you on not wanting to waste time reading a book that others may like, but you do not. I found myself in the same position in the past couple of weeks. Now, I have decided not to read anything for awhile and perhaps my reading interest will return. I have placed a library hold on a new book and it's non-fiction about a library fire in LA over a dozen years ago.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had a nice front porch Beatrice. I love old style houses with porches with steps. This house has a tiny porch where I keep several flower pots. But there's no room for chairs and it's too sunny most of the day to sit there anyway.
DeleteBut I love the back yard because there is a spring lake beyond the fence, and lots of birds.
How wonderful to have a river view. It must be really pretty to see the sun rise and the sun set from the 5th floor.
I prefer reading non-fiction books over fictional books. I suppose it's because I like to keep learning new things. My daughter gave me her copy of Columbine to read, but I've not started it yet.
ReplyDeleteYour sprouting scallions look great, Nil. I hope you get everything on your to do list done this week. I hope I do too. We are off school on Tuesday due to voting, so I'll have the day off and I'm looking forward to that. :)
I alternate between fictions and nonfictions Belinda. :)
DeleteIt's nice that you have the day off on election day. I think it encourages people to vote. It's a work day for us, but we have Veterans Day off. :)
I hope you will have a very productive week.
I take it, that view, is yours. How beautiful...!! How lucky you are.
ReplyDeleteSo true, life is too short, to read books, which are not fun! I fully agree!
✨🍁✨🍎✨🍁✨
Yes, wisp of words. That's my backyard. :) I do feel so lucky to find a house with a yard in a densely populated area.
Delete