I had another productive, but not really frugal week.
The biggest accomplishment for me was making soap. Finally I overcame the fear of lye and made soap.
On Monday I received free moringa cuttings, moringa leaves and fig cuttings from a member of a regional Facebook gardening group. I planted the cuttings in pots right away, and sautรฉed moringa leaves with katuk (sauropus androgynous or star gooseberry), kale, and hummingbird leaves (Sesbania grandiflora or Katurumurunga in Sinhalese) picked from the garden.
Whenever I gather edible leaves from the garden, I think of my mom. She likes to make greens for at least one meal every day. When she doesn't have store bought greens, she would go to the garden and pick several types of greens to make a mixed greens dish.
| Moringa leaves. |
I didn't buy anything until Yesterday (Saturday). Yesterday I went to a flea market in another town. I like this flea market because most vendors are Vietnamese and they sell so many exotic fruits, vegetables and plants. I don't go there often because it's a bit far away. My last visit to the flea market was in last November.
This time I didn't buy many things. It was a rainy day (I should have checked the weather forecast!), so most vendors were not there. I bought a Neem plant (azadirachta indica), a Pandan plant(Screwpine, pandanus amaryllifolius ) and several vegetables. Altogether I spent approximately $20.
| Neem (left) and Pandan (right). |
On the way back I stopped at Sam's Club to buy prunes and spent $59.36. I bought a box of mini croissants, peaches and two boxes of cereal. I didn't go to the store at all until Saturday and then of course I went over budget by $62. I will have to adjust next month's grocery budget by that amount.
It was lunch time when I came home. I had prepared two pizzas in the morning. So I put them in the oven and within 15 minutes had hot pizza for lunch.
I made the pizzas using store bought flat bread. I like these because they are thinner than regular pizza. I added tomato, olives, anchovy, onions and mozzarella cheese and added kale and spinach to one pizza.
| Oven ready pizza. |
Mini croissants went in to the freezer. I like buying them in bulk and freezing. Because I'm going back to work soon, I'm making extra food to freeze.
Today I had to go to Home Depot to buy a piece of wood for the shutter project. The project is going slowly because my friend who does most of the work has been busy. While at Home Depot I bought two bags of garden soil and a packet of organic mustard seeds. With these impulse purchases the total bill was a little over $20. I must stop buying things that are not on the list !
There are two more weeks left in the month and I have already spent 60% of the monthly income. I've got to be more frugal.
Results of this week's to-do list:
1) prepare recently bought plantation shutters to fit the windows of the second bedroom. - Continue
2) keep searching for a sofa.- Continue
3) make soap. Done!
4) exercise.
- Continue
5) continue 7 hours of sleep. - This didn't go well. Because I'm going back to work soon, I have to get back to a proper sleeping schedule.
Tasks for the 3rd week of August:
1) continue working on plantation shutters.
2) Plant Neem and Pandan.
3) Cut three curtain panels.
4) Start a new book, The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.
5) Gather documents required for a work project.
6) exercise.
7) sleep 7 hours.
I removed sofa search from the list because it's not something I am going to forget. However I will keep exercise and 7 hour sleep on the list just to motivate myself. Ha!
How was your week? Hope you all had a wonderful week.
XX
Nil
Hi Nil, That's neat that your mom made a meal of greens each day. I do the same with a big salad each evening. I love the photo of your croissant with jam and coffee. It reminds me of when I worked in Paris. I think that's the last time I had them. I think you are very frugal. I use homemade compost in place of potting soil. Have you tried it?
ReplyDeleteStephenie, I buy a big box of croissants from BJs or Sam's Club. They are very good (though you can't compare them with ones at Parisian boulangeries). And you can freeze them. I just take one out of the freezer and warm it up in the toaster oven.
DeleteMy compost pile in the bin is still not ready. Several months ago I dug holes and buried kitchen scraps, and now I can use that composted soil, but still it's not enough.
Hi Nil, its great to see and here about the different plants you grow in your part of the world, they look so lush and healthy to.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard being frugal sometimes and easy to run a little off course, I am sure you will be able to get back on track.
Thank you Marlene.
DeleteMoringa is very nutritious and one of the latest health food fads here now. ๐ I've seen moringa pills at the health food store.
I had a good week. It was frugal . . . I stuck to my list when shopping.:-) I haven't read The Rosie Project, but I've heard it's supposed to be really good. Your pizzas look delicious!
ReplyDeleteIf I have a list in my hand I normally tend to stick to it. But when the list is in my head, that's a problem. I forget things I need to buy, and buy things I don't need.
DeleteGood for you for sticking your your list. Sometimes I'm not very disciplined. ๐
I always enjoy seeing what you've been doing, buying and growing. You do such a good job of keeping track of your goals and expenses. And I love your pretty tea cup.
ReplyDeleteThank you Nanette.
DeleteI too love that tea cup. I bought those cups at a discount store. They only had 6 cups and 5 saucers. ๐ Then I found a sugar bowl with the same design at another store. And 4 matching plates at a thrift store. I'm slowly colllecting the pieces. ๐
Really well done on the soap making. The pizzas sound delicious and what a great idea to use flatbreads.
ReplyDeleteDon't beat yourself up about the budget, I think you do really well. X
Thanks Jules, I hope I'll do better next month budgetwise.
DeleteWith flat bread pizzas I eat less carbs. And it still tastes really good. ๐
You had a busy and varied week! I have to freeze what I buy a lot also, especially bread items. Your cuttings and plantings looks so fresh! Pizzas look good! Andrea
ReplyDeleteHi Andrea, I too like to buy bread items in bulk when the price is good, then freeze them. Another advantage of freezing them is I tend to eat less. ๐
DeleteSometimes, we go over budget when we see a good deal or find something we can use; by buying it now, we are saving ourselves a future trip and both gas and time! That's how I justify some of my purchases! LOL. I think as long as you deduct what you overspent this month from next month's budget, it will balance out nicely. As long as we don't go over our budget, consistently, we should be fine.
ReplyDeleteThere is a plant here, called the Chinaberry plant, which looks a lot like the neem plant! In fact, the first time I saw it, I thought it was a neem plant (they are related). How wonderful to receive a murunga cutting and leaves! The cutting should grow well in your climate. And I envy you your rampe plant! One of my aunts lived in Florida and she had them growing practically wild in her garden! I haven't seen any plants here and I buy frozen leaves from one of the Asian stores! The last time I went to the Sri Lankan store, they had packages of the dried leaves for sale.
Your pizzas look good! I have a package of flat bread in the freezer - you've given me an idea as to what I can do with them!
When do you return to work? The last week in August? Good idea to stock up on food in preparation for taking lunches to work, etc.
Hope you have a good 3rd week of August. Enjoy these last few days of vacation.
DeleteBless, thank you for letting me know about chinaberry. I have to make sure what I have us neem, not chinaberry.
Can you grow a rampe plant indoors? I had several plants earlier, and one was destroyed by a duck to build a nest, and the other died during the freezing nights last winter. I have to take care of this one better. ๐
I'm going back to work thisThursday. So I'm enjoying naps these days because I won't be able to nap again until December. LOL
You'll get back on track, Nil. You keep a close eye on your spending so you know when snd by how much you've gone over by. I've just come back from the library with four new books to read. Your pizzas look delicious, I need to make some bases to put in the freezer too. Meg☺
ReplyDeleteThank you Meg. I too think I'll be back on track and stick to my budget goals soon.
DeleteHappy reading! ๐
Your pizzas look delicious, Nil. And I love croissants. I bought some today and made chicken salad. I'm hoping to be able to take some for lunches this week.
ReplyDeleteHa! You gave me a great idea for my weekday lunches, Belinda. I have all the ingredients too. Thank you. ๐
Delete