I had a very fugal week. I think the main reason is that I avoided stores until the weekend. The more I stay home, the more I save money. 😊
Last week I read an article about glyphosate in oats and oat based products. Laboratory tests commissioned by the Environmental Working Group (EWG), a non-profit, non-partisan group, found glyphosate in several popular brands of cereal, oats and snack bars. The brand of cereal I bought last week, and oats I've been using are on the list. I decided to discard the two boxes of cereal and oats, and I went to the store and bought a package of organic oats. I didn't eat store bought cereal for months, and just when I bought two boxes, they have glyphosate in them! I hate to waste food and money, but I don't want to eat food contained carcinogens.
I was busy during the first half of the week. I planted Neem and Pandan, both in containers. The moringa cutting already has tiny leaves, just after two weeks.
| Moringa. |
On Thursday I went back to work. I contacted HR and changed my pay schedule. We are on 9 month contracts because the academic year runs from August to May. I was on a 9 month pay schedule, and saved 1/4 of the take home pay to cover summer expenses. Some people choose a deferred pay schedule of 12 months, so that they get paid throughout the calendar year, but less amount each month. I decided to go to the 12 month schedule. One advantage of this is that it forces me to contribute to the pre-tax retirement plan all year. Because of the increased retirement contribution, I'm not sure how much my take home pay will be until I get my first pay check in September. It's going to be definitely less than the current amount. I received a small pay raise as well, but it is not going to offset the decrease. So I will make a new monthly budget accordingly.
I finished The Rosie Project and really enjoyed it. Sometimes I laughed aloud while reading it. It's about a geneticist who is unable to empathize and has no social skills. He approaches everything in life as a science project, completed with detailed tasks and spreadsheets. So when he wants to get married, he starts "the wife project", making a long questionnaire to select the best partner. Here's a good review of the book. I will start another book this week, but haven't decided which one. I borrowed two library books; A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel, and Complete Step by Step Upholstery by David Sowle and Ruth Dye.
Results of this week's to-do list:
1) continue working on plantation shutters. - Continue. The frame is done.
2) Plant Neem and Pandan.
3) Cut three curtain panels.
4) Start a new book, The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.
5) Gather documents required for a work project. - Continue.
6) exercise. - Continue. I'm slacking off a bit.
7) sleep 7 hours. - Continue. Better than the last week, but had a couple of days of 6 hr sleep.
Tasks for the 4th week of August:
1) Continue working on plantation shutters.
2) Sew curtain panels.
3) Complete documents for the work project.
4) Sow mustard seeds in one raised bed.
5) Start another book.
6) Exercise 20-30 minutes on Fridays.
7) Sleep 7 hrs.
What books are you currently reading?
XX
Nil
You did very well this week, Nil, not only on the frugal front but in other areas, as well. Congratulations on the pay raise! Every little bit helps! Switching to the 12 months pay plan might be harder at first, while you get used to the smaller, overall pay check, but, if you had already set aside a 1/4 of your pay check to cover the summer months, you might find that the difference isn't all that much. My mother was a teacher and she took the 9 months of pay, but she did some tutoring and summer school over the summer, so she made some income during the summer, as well.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting to see the moringa plant leafing out! You certainly have a green thumb!
Hope you have a good first week back to work!
Thank you Bless.
DeleteI wish I could teach summer classes. We have only one summer session, so if I teach I won't be able to visit mom. There's not enough time between semesters.
Hehee it's not that I have a green thumb. My sister says moringa grows everywhere easily. :D
You had a good week! It is so true that it is best to stay away from stores! I read about that ingredient in cereals, etc....and I have Oatmeal that is on the list that I just had bought not long ago!! Andrea
ReplyDeleteIt's so frustrating, isn't it? Organic food is expensive, and also sometimes I wonder if all things labeled as 'organic' stuff are truly organic.
DeleteNil that is such a concern about the Roundup in our food. It is the same over here apparently.
ReplyDeleteI've been avoiding corn also because of high use of pesticides etc. If things continue like this we won't have anything safe to eat. :(
DeleteHi Nil, Too bad about the oats. I know you spend very little on food. I know what you mean about saving more money by staying home. I feel the same way. Library books are excellent, free entertainment. Congratulations on the raise, and sticking to your goals.
ReplyDeleteThanks you Stephenie.
DeleteI also borrowed a movie from the library a couple of weeks ago. I love my library. :)
A positive week Nil. I'm on a twelve months pay schedule and find it works well for me. As you're so disciplined with your finances I can't see you having any issues with the change.
ReplyDeleteThe oats thing is a worry. I find I'm choosing organic more and more when I go shopping. X
Yes, Jules. I also try to buy more organic produce now. They are more expensive, but I think it's better to pay for organic food than paying for medicine down the road.
DeleteSince you mentioned glyphosate I have just googled it and seen the concerns, how awful, this is the trouble with most foods, we don't really know what goes in them, most people don't read the packaging either. I am becoming more careful about what goes in my body.
ReplyDeleteThat's the good thing about home grown, at least you know it hasn't been sprayed with nasty things.
Well done on your frugal week.
Thanks Marlene.
DeleteI decided to grow more herbs and greens at home, especially the ones I eat raw. And I always read the list of ingredients when I buy things. I try to avoid packages with long lists. :)
Have you ever read 'Silent Spring' by Rachel Carson, Nil? It was really the first book which shed a light on the environmental impacts of pesticide use. In her book it was DDT and the amplification of it up through the food chain. It was written, if I remember correctly, way back in the 1960s but it remains a cautionary tale for all of us still today. My thoughts, on chemicals like glysophate and others line up with those of Dr. David Suzuki. I think he is right when he says that whatever we do to the planet, we do to ourselves. So, if we spray chemicals around in our environment, inevitably that comes full circle. Meg Xx
ReplyDeleteNo I haven't read the book, Meg. I've heard of Rachel Carson and her work though. I'm going to see if my library carries Silent Spring, and books by Dr. David Suzuki. :)
DeleteYay for your frugal week! The Rosie Project sounds quite humorous. I am reading a mystery novel called Fire in the Water by Lakota Grace. Isn't the author's name beautiful? The story takes place among the water rights disputes in Arizona and has a native American flavor. I'm enjoying the book, and I'm learning a lot, too.
ReplyDeleteI checked the library catalog, but they don't have Fire in the Water. May be I'll ask them to purchase it. :) I like reading mysteries.
DeleteSounds like you had a very good week, Nil. That's so neat that you already have new leaves on your cuttings. My daughter trimmed our holly trees this spring and they had new cuttings in just a few weeks too.
ReplyDeleteIt's very exciting to see new growth on plants, isn't it? One of my favorite things about gardening. :)
DeleteI hope going back to work is ok. I find it difficult after even a short holiday! I am an all year academic and everyone always thinks my summers are easy but in fact they are as busy as term times, too much admin. Students are back on the 10th, teaching starts on the 17th... Congratulations on the pay rise, I am sure it will be appreciated. I see pension plans as a deferred salary source, makes it easier to digest the deductions. Although of course my pension won't be worth anything by the time I finally retire but hopefully I'll be a bit more frugal by then. I should learn from you! I can't imagine ever spending as little as you are on groceries. Well done.
ReplyDeleteThanks Christina.
DeleteI think after my very long break, I needed a change. So I'm happy be to back at work. :)
My grocery budget has gone up a bit because of organic food. Also, it's only me so I guess it seems less compared to a food budget of a family. :)
Good luck with the new term!
I really enjoyed the Rosie Project, and the follow up book is good as well. It made me laugh too, and very well written. Yes I have learned that I am much more frugal if I stay way from the shops, it's not hard to spend money. I must check out the story about carcinogens in our oats though, very disturbing. I hope you have a stimulating work year Nil. It's interesting that you work at a University as I did before retirement. Pauline
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the Rosie Project, and the follow up book is good as well. It made me laugh too, and very well written. Yes I have learned that I am much more frugal if I stay way from the shops, it's not hard to spend money. I must check out the story about carcinogens in our oats though, very disturbing. I hope you have a stimulating work year Nil. It's interesting that you work at a University as I did before retirement. Pauline
ReplyDeleteI didn't know there was a sequel to the Rosie Project. Thank you Pauline! :)
DeleteI'd love to read The Rosie Effect. I must see if our library has it.
Hey Nil, just catching up on your August happenings and the last few posts. you've been busy. Great work on tackling the soap. I remember the first time I did it with a friend and we were both so so cautious with the lye so I know how you felt there. But once you do it the first time you kind of realise it wasn't as scary as you make it out. I hope you enjoy the soap making.
ReplyDeleteHope you are taking time to appreciate all your accomplishments - you do get a lot done in a month lady! Good work on the frugal happenings too.
I read that article about oats too - time to make the switch to organic around here as well -we eat a lot of oats!
Cheers,
Laura
Thank you Laura. :)
DeleteI'm thinking of making another batch of soap, this time with lavender essential oil. Someone told me that soap making could be addictive. Now I can see why. :)