| Red shouldered hawk. |
The hawk is back! He (she?) comes every morning. I looked in my bird book and learned that it's a red shouldered hawk. I wanted to take a better photo, but he likes to watch the lake, turning his back to me. I also noticed a new bird near the lake. Does anyone know what it is?
| An ibis and an unknown bird. |
I still pick up one or two passion fruits every couple of days. Here's one that got stuck in a cherry laurel tree. 😊
| A passion fruit stuck between branches. |
These are the two hanging baskets I added to the front porch. I bought these plants from Home Depot. It's a variety of black-eyed susan. There were three plants in the pot. I planted two in hanging pots to see if they can survive the hot sun.
![]() |
| Black-eyed susan in the front porch. |
Nil

The new bird looks a lot like an anhinga (Anhinga anhinga); either a female or an immature male; the adult male has an all black neck. How lovely to be picking at least one or two passion fruits, each day! Thanks for the info about the plants in the hanging baskets.
ReplyDeleteNil, we have hawks here regularly. I don't know what that bird with the Ibis is but we do have lots of Ibis flying overhead every day.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely to see such beautiful birds. We have so many wading birds here I must learn to identify them.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if that other bird is some kind of cormorant. It's certainly big enough, but the colors aren't quite right. Well, surely one of your other, more knowledgeable readers will identify it.
ReplyDeleteThat's cool to have a hawk hanging out in your tree! The mystery bird looks like an anhinga to me.
ReplyDeleteLove your hanging baskets. I hope the plants do well in them. I think our unknown bird may be an Anhinga. I love birdwatching. Do you have kingfishers? They are my favorite water bird.
ReplyDeleteYour yard looks so well cared for and serene, Nil. What a gorgeous variety of birds you are attracting. I love the hanging baskets, too.
ReplyDeleteIt's lovely you get an interesting variety of birds near your home, I think they bring some soul to a yard. There's always hawks circling here, I think the thermals are good coming off the mountain and the river. My chickens give girly squeals and run for cover :) And a pair of osprey.....sea eagles like to perch in the dead tree overhanging the river, it's great to see them suddenly take off and dive down, and then return to feast on their catch. Your garden's giving you a lot of pleasure, somewhere nice to potter through winter.
ReplyDeleteFlower pots!
ReplyDeleteSeems so different. From our cold weather. -smile-
Happy Thanksgiving!
😊🔥😊
Your winters are so different from ours. We have snow all around us. Fascinating birds you have around there - needless to say, I have no idea as to their names, but they are pretty.
ReplyDeleteWe have lots of ibis around here, and the occasional hawk.However the protective willy wagtails give the hawks what for.How lovely to have your lake to attract the birds Nil.
ReplyDeleteI think it's lovely to have birds to watch in a garden, Nil. We always have birds here but even more are coming in due to the very dry weather we've been having. I put water out in birdbaths for them. Your Black Eyed Susan plants look cheery and bright; I hope they do well where you've placed them. It can be tricky to find plants for a very sunny and hot location. Meg:)
ReplyDeletePassion fruit frresh from the tree must be so good! Lovely birds!☺
ReplyDeleteSo refreshing for me to see your new hanging plants and wildlife! Andrea
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful birds, Nil. I'm not sure what kind of bird that one is though. I love that you're still getting the passion fruits. I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving today. :)
ReplyDeleteGorgeous birds...and love that you are green with growing things there. We are frozen solid-ugh. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteWatching birds is really a peaceful activity. If there's an audubon society near you, they probably have walks or other activities where you could learn to identify the birds in your area, which some people find very enjoyable. Your photo is very nice.
ReplyDeletebest... mae at maefood.blogspot.com