Sunday, November 24, 2019


A hawk and a mockingbird.

I am counting down the days until winter break. It feels so good to have all lesson plans done for the online course. I still have to make final exams, but I should be able to complete them before Thanks Giving break. 

Unlike the previous week, this week was a productive one. I couldn't do much yard work, but I planted cilantro, rosemary and mint in pots. Now it's dark when I come home, so I can't do any yard work in the evening. I added two hanging flower baskets in the front porch. That's one of my 2019 goals, and finally it's done. It's very hard to find perennials that do well in Florida sun, in colors I like. The front of the house faces west, and gets direct sunlight as there are no big trees in the front yard. 

I also decluttered the spare room. I still have a stack of framed art prints there, and I'm not sure where I want to hang them. Something to think about during winter break. 😊

This week I tried another new recipe. It's Moroccan style carrots by Judee at Gluten Free A-Z. It was delicious. Next time I'm going to steam carrot before cooking with spices as Judee suggested, or cook it longer with the spices.

Moroccan style carrots.

Speaking of cooking, I'm thinking of buying an air fryer. Do you have one? If you do, could you please let me know the brand name? I searched online, but sometimes it's hard to trust online reviews.


This week's to-do list:
1) Update the financial documents folder. 
2) Declutter the spare room. - 

Next week's to-do list:
1) Plant mustard greens.
2) Start another crochet project.

XX
Nil


22 comments:

  1. I am waiting until Black Friday to get an air fryer. I am ready for one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very brave mockingbird to be sitting so near a hawk! Sounds like you had a very productive week. May I ask what kind of plants you put in the hanging baskets? My house, too, faces the west, and, although I put hooks along the front covered walkway to the front door, I haven't been able to hang any plants there because of the sun! What are your plans for the winter break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless, it's a type of black-eyed susan (rubdeckia). I wanted a vine, but couldn't find a suitable one. I tried golden pothos, but they turned brown and died. The flowers are still doing well. I will post a photo.

      I'm full of ideas for the winter break. I have to calm down, be realistic and make a small list. LOL

      Delete
  3. Yay for decluttering the spare room! I know from personal experience it can seem overwhelming to face a chore like that. I don't have an air fryer. I cook in butter a lot because for me the fat makes my stomach feel full longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that an air fryer would be better than deep frying. :)

      Delete
  4. Moroccan cuisine id so good, those carrots look yum☺ Have a lovely week☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a pretty picture. I've never heard of an air fryer. I use olive oil or butter. I hope you find one that you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also use butter, olive oil and coconut oil when sauteing , and coconut oil when deep frying. I was thinking that an air fryer would be better because it uses less oil. But I don't know if they work as well as they claim.

      Delete
  6. Ohhhh, what happened with the hawk and the mocking bird?!?!?!

    And your sky looks like summer. -smile- Which of course, it is, all year long, in FL. -smile-

    Do not have an air fryer. To me, it sounds like two, impossible to connect, things. Air and Frying... How can one doooo such?????? Sounds too good to be true. And impossible as well. -grin-

    🔥💛🔥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisps, it looked like the mockingbird was trying to scare the hawk off. But the hawk didn't move and the mockingbird finally flew away. He must have a nest nearby.

      From what I've read, when using an air fryer food is coated with a bit of oil, and the hot air inside 'fries' it. Somewhat similar to a convection oven. But I don't know how well air fryers fry, especially deep frying.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, about the bird!!!!! -smile-

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      😊🔥😊

      Delete
  7. Air fryers are very popular these days. I cannot see myself getting one though because I don't eat fried food as a rule and really don't miss it. Those carrots look delicious. Carrots are one of my favorites. Good for you on decluttering the spare room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too don't eat a lot of deep fried food, but sometimes I get cravings. :)

      Delete
  8. i've always enjoyed honeyed carrots - steam them, then fry up in butter and spices - delicious! funny to think of you heading to winter break when it's summer here - with salads and seafood and swims!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm honeyed carrots sound delicious. :)

      Sometimes when I read Australian blogs it takes me a while to remember that our seasons are opposite. :)

      Delete
  9. One of our daughters has an air fryer, and she loves it. I like my convection oven which works on the same principle as the air fryer. The difference is the air fryer works quicker due to its smaller size so it takes less time heat up.

    Mockingbirds taunt hawks and chase them away so the hawks don't kill and eat them. A hawk can't catch a mockingbird in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, may I ask what the brand of your daughter's air fryer is?

      My toaster over has a convection setting, and may be I should try that before spending money on an air fryer. :)

      Delete
  10. Nil, she has an Oster air fryer. It's an older one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't comment on what air fryer would be best, Nil, as we don't own one or have any plans to buy one. My husband did get an Instant Pot but after 2 uses, he decided it was more trouble cleaning up and also we had no place to easily store it, so back it went. I enjoy using a crockpot the most aside from my mixer and immersion blender.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻