It's already November! The weather is still warm, but finally this morning was cooler, around 62F. That was cold for me, and I happily had an extra hour of sleep thanks to the end of daylight saving time.
The weekend was somewhat productive. I weeded a flowerbed, and added more Mexican Petunia, and red Salvia. When hurricane Dorian was on its way, I moved empty pots, hummingbird feeders and several plant stands into the patio. I took them out, and hung the feeders. I didn't have time to transplant passion seedlings.
![]() |
| A papaya flower. |
The garden is doing OK. I don't have any vegetables now. I still have greens, herbs and passion fruits, but nothing else. I need to plant some peppers.
![]() |
| Katuk flowers. |
![]() |
| Katuk berries. |
![]() |
| Passion fruits and katuk berries. |
I finished the Christmas swap item, but didn't have time to mail it. I will mail it this Tuesday. I spent time grading a stack of tests, mending, and ironing clothes. Decluttering the spare room was on the to-do list, but I went to the room, looked around and decided to do it another day. I want to tidy a bookshelf and use it to store yarn. On Friday my favorite thrift store had a mystery sale. On the mystery sale day you can pick a coupon with an unknown discount from a bag. The one I picked up was a 50% discount coupon. I bought 13 skeins of yarn in three different colors, a piece of cotton fabric for a future project, and a package of single fold binding tape, all for $19.80.
I have been exercising almost daily now. Past few days I peddled 1.55 miles each day. It's not much, but I'm happy that I get something done.
One of my goals for this year is to prepare a will and a healthcare directive. It's almost the end of the year, and finally I got names of two lawyers from my colleagues. Before contacting them I'd like to update my financial information. I added it to the weekly to-do list. Next Monday is Veterans Day, so I have a long weekend. I am already making a list of things to do! I have to make sure to do something fun. 😊
1)
2) Declutter the spare room. - Not done.
3) Transplant passion seedlings.- Not done.
Next week's to-do list:
1) Update the financial documents folder.
2) Declutter the spare room.
3) Transplant passion seedlings.
4) Prepare a raised bed.
XX
Nil





I am ignorant about katuk. Exactly what is it and how is it used?
ReplyDeleteI am impressed with the exercise daily!
It is cooling down there and heating up here :-) You sound quite organised, Nil. Having a will is very important especially at the age my husband and I are. Some people never think of the future unfortunately. I don't think I have heard of the Katuk plant before. It is very pretty.
ReplyDeleteYour garden is doing better than OK! It is doing really well! Look at those papaya flowers! I hope some of them turn into papaya fruits! Your katuk plants are doing well, too. For some reason, I don't remember katuk! I don't think it grew in the garden of my childhood home. And, since I didn't like most vegetables as a child (still don't!) I probably didn't eat it, either!
ReplyDeleteWow, you got a great deal at the thrift store! I need to start looking in our thrift stores for yarn!
I'm glad you are taking steps towards making a will and a medical directive. Definitely a good idea. :)
I hope the week ahead will be a good one for you. Yes, definitely plan a fun activity for the long weekend.
I have never seek Katuk berries before. Are they edible? It is a good idea to make a will, but many of us find it a hard thing to do. Good on you for acting on it.
ReplyDeleteWell done on the exercising. I'm beginning to make more of an effort myself, now that I have a little more time on my hands.
ReplyDeleteI also need to sort out a will. It's another one of those things I keep putting off. X
You did well with your thrift shop purchases. Glad you have something fun on your to-do list 😊
ReplyDeleteYour garden photos are lovely as always. Yay for finishing the swap item!
ReplyDeleteGood job exercising! Your garden plants are so pretty and healthy!! I was just thinking the same thing....it is November already! Andrea
ReplyDeleteHmmm...I think you need to educate lots of us on katuk! The papaya flower is beautiful. Does it have a fragrance?
ReplyDeleteHi Nil, Good for you for having getting a will and trust. It's so important, especially when you own a home. I have all of those documents, and it's a secure feeling. I am so impressed with your flowers, berries, and fruit! It's all so different than what grows here.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely your plants look. I especially like all the katuk flowers. What a bargain you scored at the thrift store. I can't wait to see what you make with the yarn. You're smart to take the peddling easy and build up to more miles as you adjust. Several years ago when I bought a treadmill I overdid the walking routine and had to stop for weeks and let my hips recover. That was painful.
ReplyDeleteHave a great, cooler week! (I'm thankful for cooler weather, too.)
Toni
I am jealous of your yarn purchase. What a great deal! I rarely find yarn in my local thrift stores and when I do it is wildly overpriced. Hope you get time to do something fun on your holiday weekend. Enjoy! Bobi
ReplyDeleteI like how you grow things you can’t find in the store.
ReplyDeleteOp-shops are a great place to find yarn, Nil. I often find embroidery threads, knitting needles and cottons too. While you may not have any veg growing at moment, there's still a lot your garden is producing with the passionfruit and berries and papaya too. Meg:)
ReplyDeleteLike you, Nil, I was not exercising regularly for a week or more as we were doing several outdoor walks. Now, I am getting up early and not reading the news but going to the gym and listening to podcasts instead. We have some financial documents in order but need to organize even more.
ReplyDeleteOh, I like that you drew 50% at the thrift store, how neat! What flowers you have in your yard are so beautiful and so are those berries. :)
ReplyDeleteThose flowers are so incredibly pretty ☺
ReplyDeleteHave never heard of Katuk, please post what you make of the berries
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos! I love passion fruit. I grew up with passion fruits growing in our back yard. I am not familiar with Katuk. Looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteNil, it seems everyone wants to know what the interesting Katuk berries are and how you use them? The katuk flowers look very pretty. I love that you have a feeding tray for the hummingbirds, hope to see one in your part of the world one day. Wills need constant revision as well I think.
ReplyDelete