Monday, November 11, 2019

Butterfly pea tea without lemon juice (blue) and with lemon juice (purple).

Last week we had several cooler days. Mornings were very nice, though it eventually got warmer later in the day. 

Today (Monday) is Veterans Day, and a public holiday. I was eagerly waiting for the long weekend, but it went very fast. I graded a stack of tests, and made another test for the upcoming week. 
The cooler weather motivated me to work in the yard, so I prepared three raised beds, transplanted passion fruit seedlings in pots (temporarily) and Brussels sprout in a raised bed. Mustard greens and beet seedlings are also coming up, but I decided to let them grow a bit more. 

I swapped a cardamom, a lemongrass and several passion fruit seedlings for a small  night jasmine  (Nyctanthes arbor-tristis) plant from a member of a regional gardening group.  I remember my grandma had a night jasmine tree in her yard. I love the scent of any jasmine flower, and have never seen night jasmine in this area. So I drove about 45 minutes to get the small plant. I planted it in a small pot for now. 🌼  

In my last post, several of my blog friends asked about katuk berries. Katuk (Sauropus androgynus) is a tropical plant, and its leaves, flowers and berries are all edible. About a year ago I got several cuttings from a gardener in the area, and now I have three trees that are slightly taller than me. Cooked katuk leaves have a slight sweetness. I haven't eaten it raw, though I've heard that some use it in salads. I usually saute leaves in a bit of olive oil and add salt, black pepper and turmeric powder. Or, I mix grated coconut, chopped onions and green chilies with thinly shredded katuk leaves, and cook it for several minutes. It's very nutritious, and you can find more information here.


Tender berries taste like young peas. I always remove the seeds. Because it is time consuming to open each berry and remove seeds, I only use a handful or two at a time. 

Katuk berries.

Katuk leaves and berries with grated coconut.

The end of the semester is just three weeks away, and I have been busy with making tests and grading. I have to make two more weeks of lesson plans for the online course. I can't believe how fast this semester is going! 

I have been reading blogs whenever I have time, but haven't been commenting often. I promise that I will catch up. 😊

Have a wonderful week, everyone. 🌻

Last week's to-do list:
1) Update the financial documents folder.
2) Declutter the spare room.
3) Transplant passion seedlings.
4) Prepare a raised bed. Prepared 3 beds.

This week's to-do list:
1) Update the financial documents folder.
2) Declutter the spare room.

XX
Nil



29 comments:

  1. The butterfly pea tea is beautiful. Thanks for explaining how to use katuk.
    Happy for you the semester is almost over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though it's very pretty, butterfly pea tea has no flavor. :)
      It's better with lemon juice.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous blue drinks! Wow! Thanks for the information about katuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if katuk grows in warmer parts of Australia, earthmotherwithin. It's a well known plant among gardeners here, though it's not a native plant.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a very busy and productive week. That butterfly pea tea is so colorful! Hope you have a good week, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the week was very productive, Bless. I was planing a lot, but didn't do much. :)
      I hope your week is going well.

      Delete
  4. The katuk berry/leaf stir fry is beautiful, but not as beautiful as the teas, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teas are beautiful, aren't they? But they don't have any flavor. Looks are deceiving. LOL

      Delete
  5. I had never heard of butterfly pea tea, love the color. Isn't it great when you can swap things you have for something you want. I love bartering for things more than buying them. The night jasmine sounds lovely.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to technology, I've met several environmental friendly gardeners in the area. Most are willing to swap. It's so nice.
      Hope you are having a great week Toni.

      Delete
  6. That's some pretty tea! Good luck with finishing up the semester, it's definitely disappearing quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I hope you semester is also going well. I know you must be busy with moving.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the information on katuk. It sounds like a useful plant. Days spent in the garden are the best days, don't you think??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes Anita. I love working in the garden. Especially when the weather is cooler. :)

      Delete
  8. You do have the prettiest flowers! Jasmine's scent is so lovely. I used to buy a plant for indoors, sold at home improvement stores in the area around Christmas time. I think I should look for one here! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confederate jasmine is very common here, but other types are rare. So I was very happy to get find this night jasmine plant. :)

      Delete
  9. What a pretty picture, those make!

    You have been busy. Which is always good, since you are young.

    ⛄🔥⛄🔥⛄

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have star jasmine here, Nil, growing all along one of our side fences. It is in bloom now and the scent is just sublime. It sounds like you made a great trade to get a night jasmine plant and to have that for your garden. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star jasmine is very common here, too Meg. I love the scent. You are so lucky to have it growing along your fence.

      Delete
  11. Mmmm your Katuk leave and berry dish looks delicious! Shame this is not growing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plan a trip here Christina, I will make katuk and all sorts of tropical dishes for you. :)

      Delete
  12. Like most of your commenters, I have never heard of Katuk and as far as I know I have never eaten it. So many possibilities for food! Thank you for your comments on my blog!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katuk berries are so interesting to me, I haven't heard about something like this before, I am intrigued☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I head up to tropical Cairns at Christmas time I will make a project of hunting down a Katuk tree.They have an amazing botanical gardens there so I will be surprised if I don't find one. All the best for the next few busy weeks Nil.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are very pretty drinks, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blue drinks are very colorful, Nil and the Katuk leaves and berries looks like an interesting dish. I was wondering how you would describe the taste.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻