Sunday, August 25, 2019

Back to Work & Other Happenings


Summer vacation is over, and I'm going back to work. The first week didn't start quite well because I had a bad cold. On Monday I wished the vacation had been longer. But as the days went by, I really enjoyed being back at work. 

After a long rainy season, there was no rain for the past several days. I weeded, and prepared the raised beds for new vegetables. I also sowed Asparagus beans, bitter gourd and peppers. 

I picked the first crop of passion fruits! They have started falling, one or two at a time. I didn't taste one yet. I am going to have one for breakfast, tomorrow. 😊


First Passion fruits!

Ants haven't still abandoned the Serrano pepper plant. I used a mixture of water and dish soap, but ants didn't care at all. Then I cut up a lemon rind, mixed it with coffee ground and sprinkled around the plant. I hope it will help. I still get lots of peppers, so that's a good thing.

Serrano peppers.

One of my neighbors is redoing their backyard and offered me a stack of scalloped edging stones. I have similar stones along the driveway and flower beds, so I was glad to get more stones for free. I am going to make a border around pineapple and papaya trees.

I think I'm addicted to crochet! The other day I crocheted a dishcloth using this pattern posted by Stephenie. This is the first time I used two stitches, and followed a pattern. It was so easy. Thank you Stephenie! 

Mellie's chrochet dishcloth.

Then I wanted to try something round, so I found this easy pattern. I think I can use this as a coaster. 

Learning to crochet a circle.

I had been waiting for the latest Bruno book "The Body in the Castle Well" for over a month. Finally it was available today, and I downloaded it to my e-reader.  I know this semester is going to be a busy one, especially because of the new online course, but reading, and now crocheting make me really happy. 😊 This weekend I finished online course lesson plans up to test 1, and started working on another chapter, so I feel I have had a very productive week. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week!


This week's to-do list:
1) More decluttering.
2) Finish preparing raised beds.
3) sow bitter gourd seeds.

Next week's to-do list:
1) Mend a bathrobe.
2) Delete/organize Amazon Seller book list.
3) Use edging stones to make borders in the backyard.

XX
Nil


31 comments:

  1. Nil, our passionfruit get eaten by possums so we have to buy ours. We are over halfway through our school year which finishes in December just in time for the heatwaves :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, so far birds and squirrels haven't seen my passion fruits. Either that, or they don't like passion fruits. :)
      It's too bad you have to buy them while possums eat home grown ones.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nil, Your dishcloth looks perfect. I'm so impressed. I love the coaster that you are doing in the round, too. You might like the shell stitch. It makes a really pretty border. Crocheting is so relaxing. I'm happy to see you doing it so beautifully. (and you just started!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie. I find crocheting so relaxing. I'll see how to do the shell stitch. I need to buy more cotton yarn from the thrift store. :)

      Delete
  3. I would love to know to crochet,so pretty! And I have never tried passion fruit☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dishcloth pattern. Your work is really neat.
    We get quite a lot of ants here when the weather is hot. I use soapy water then spray vinegar. It seems to work. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. :)
      Soapy water didn't help with these ants. I will try spraying vinegar.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a very productive first week of work! Oh, I'm jealous of your passion fruit harvest! Those serrano peppers look good, too!

    Your crocheting looks nice! The round ones will make nice coasters and a set of coasters will make a nice gift, if you are thinking about making some Christmas or holiday gifts. :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless, that's a great idea to make a set of coasters. I'm going to do that. Last year I used homemade soaps as Christmas gifts. This year it will be crocheted items. :)

      Delete
  6. Your passionfruits look perfect. I'm sure they'll be delicious. Haha, yes, crocheting is kind of addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee I have a ton of course work to do, but I keep crocheting and searching for simple patterns. I didn't know it could be this much fun. :)

      Delete
  7. Your crochet work is beautiful. It is hard to believe you are a beginner. Good luck with your battle with the ants. I hate those little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I hate ants, and also hate killing them. I wish they simply move to another non edible plant. Why can't they destroy weeds? :)

      Delete
  8. Sorry about the cold, but glad it is better, and you are happy to be back to work.

    Fun, mastering a new craft!

    Must look up that book.

    ✨🌻✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crochet can be very addictive. It will be a good distraction from work, no doubt. I find making something with my hands after a long day at work very relaxing. I am glad you are happy to be back at work - it means that you enjoy your work. Good luck with your new course, always exciting if a little nerve wrecking. I am running a brand new course in September, fingers crossed my students enjoy it. Enjoy your passionfruit, they look delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Christina I too find crocheting very relaxing.
      So far, the online course is going well, but it's too early. :)

      Good luck with your new course! I'm sure your students will love it.

      Delete
  10. Your harvest and your crochet are beautiful 🧶.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ever since i read about the Bruno books on one of your earlier posts, Nil, I have been waiting for the first one to be available as an e-book from my local library. After a few weeks, I'm still on a wait list. I haven't tried looking for a printed one because i like using the Kindle at night and it's harder to hold a book in bed. Glad the school year has got off to a good start for you and hope the cold goes away soon. The crocheting looks lovely and i especially liked your color choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also read all Bruno books on my iPad, Beatrice. Fortunately, all previous books were available right away. The last one had a long wait list. I hope you get the book soon.

      Delete
  12. Your crocheting is coming on really well, cant wait to see your gardens again

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not tried passion fruit before, yours looks so good. I hope the lemon helps to get rid of the ants. I'm sorry you've had a cold, but I know what you mean about enjoying being back at work. I hope this week is good for you too, Nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Belinda you have to try passion fruits. I love the taste. Maybe TN is too cold to grow it...

      Delete
  14. Always so good to hear about what you're up to Nil. Glad you've found a passion for crocheting, it's important to have something you enjoy since you work so hard. I didn't get any passionfruit this year, think I fed the plant too much nitrogen and so have a very lush green vine, but no fruit. The bats enjoy them too though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Nannette, I usually forget to fertilize my plants, so they never get too much nutrients. After this crop, I should thank my passion vine properly.

      Delete
  15. Hi there! Love the crochet cloth and nearly finished coaster. I've crocheted for a long, long time and love it. Your cloth looks perfect.
    Have a great day!
    Toni

    p.s. Your blog is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Toni. 😊
      Thanks also for the link. I will check it. I have to see if borax harms plants, because ants are nesting right at the root of pepper plants.

      Delete
  16. I forgot to say that a mixture of borax, sugar and water cleared the ants out of our house. (They were horrid.)
    Here's a link for the measures: https://www.mashupmom.com/yes-borax-got-rid-of-the-ants/

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻