| Mockingbird fledgling It's almost June! I say this at the end of each month, but I still can't believe how fast time flies. We had several rainy days, and in between I worked a bit in the yard. Ants have moved into the new raised bed and making colonies. I sprinkled diatomaceous earth in the bed. I noticed leaf miners on tomato plants. I removed the infected leaves, and so far the plants are doing well. One of the three mockingbirds has left the nest. While having breakfast, I saw this tiny bird hopping around. It turned out to be a mockingbird fledgling. It was so cute, and funny to see his attempts at flying. Mama mockingbird was still feeding him. He hopped around for a while, and went under the lemongrass bushes. I hope he is safe there. I had a bad headache and muscle pains, and spent a whole day on the sofa. I must have strained muscles while working in the yard. Another sign that I need to exercise more! I finished making fingerless gloves. I'm not very crazy about the pattern, but I will keep them anyway as I don't have any fingerless gloves. 😊 I used this pattern. I started crocheting a sweater. I have 5 skeins of supper bulky yarn, so I found an easy pattern that I can make with the amount of yarn I have. Did you watch the SpaceX launch? I was so nervous during the countdown, and I was just sitting on the sofa! I wonder how the two astronauts felt. Nervous? excited? And I got so emotional and teary eyed as I watched the liftoff. When I was little, for a while I wanted to be an astronaut. I had a book full of paper clippings about planets, rockets, and space shuttles. As it often happens, my career goals changed many times over the years, though I have always loved science, especially physics. I have never done super complex and impressive scientific research like what NASA scientists do, and I greatly appreciate and value their passion and dedication to science. 🚀 Stay safe everyone. 🌹🌹🌹 XXX Nil |
Sunday, May 31, 2020
Weekly Update - The Last Week of May
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You stay safe too - I hope the headache and general aches are subsiding now and that you're feeling better. The passion fruit and flower look lovely. They don't grow like this round here.
ReplyDeletexx
Thank you Joy. I am alright now. :)
DeleteI guess your area is too cold for passion fruits? It's one of my favorite fruits. :)
Oh yes, I know the feeling of having been too active in the garden! The only thing to do is to do it all again on another day!
ReplyDeleteYes, garden work never ends. :)
DeleteAw, that little fledgling bird looks so cute! I'm sorry you had a headache and muscle aches. Make sure you are hydrated, especially if you are out working in the garden when it is hot. Your passion fruit vine is doing so well! Have you tried making mallung with the leaves? I like your fingerless gloves! Nice color, too! My hands get so cold in the winter; I am wondering if I should make a pair of fingerless gloves, myself. May I ask why you are not that crazy about the pattern?
ReplyDeleteYes, I watched the launch. I was hoping to watch it on Wednesday, when it was first scheduled and was so disappointed when it was cancelled. I remember staying up late into the night to listen to the radio during the Apollo 11 moon landing, when I was in Sri Lanka. No TV to watch it on, back then, of course, so, I had to use my imagination! :)
How are your summer classes coming along? Are things relatively quiet where you are? Hope you have a good week, next week. Take care, Nil.
I have to remember to drink enough water. Sometimes I take a bottle of ice water to the yard, and then completely forget it. :)
DeleteMaybe it's because I didn't have fingerless gloves before this pair - to me they look like two rectangles with a hole for thumb. LOL I saw another pattern with a ribbed cuff, but thought this one was easier. They are practical though, so I'm sure I will use them.
My summer classes are going smoothly. The course is the most basic physics course we offer, and the easiest. At least for me - I'm sure some students won't agree. :)
We have curfew at night until further notice. The neighborhood is very quiet and safe though. I hope you and your daughter are safe, Bless.
I love the color of your gloves,very pretty!☺
ReplyDeleteThank you Natalia. :)
DeleteI'm making no knead bread tonight - this time in the fridge - just like in your recipe.
Nil, I hope the astronauts make it back to earth safely too. I am sure you will be keeping an eye on that little mockingbird to make sure it stays safe. Not too many cats around hopefully.
ReplyDeleteI too hope they arrive safely, Chel. I still remember the Columbia space shuttle disaster in 2003. One of the crew members was a graduate of the physics department I was in at the time, so there was a lot of talk about it. Thinking about that made me more nervous.
DeleteI do like your fingerless gloves. How marvelous that you can craft some of your own fashion pieces (I saw your hat, very nice). I have only ever seen the flowers on the passion vine, very interesting to see the fruit. Happy June. Hope your headache & muscle aches are gone.
ReplyDeleteAll aches are completely gone now. :)
DeleteHappy June to you too Patio Postcards!
Your fingerless gloves are nice. You'll have to show us your sweater when you're done. I got nervous and then teary-eyed over the launch, too.
ReplyDeleteThank you Priscilla. :)
DeleteThe sweater is not looking great so far...actually it is a short sleeved cardigan (a shrug?).
I second the advice to keep hydrated, especially when working outside. It does make all the difference. Wouldn't it be exciting to BE at a rocket launch someday? I saw the first Space Shuttle land at Edwards AFB. The only reason I got in was because my uncle worked there. It was amazing and a memory I will never forget.
ReplyDeleteMaybe one day we will get to go on space tours! I hope Elon Musk will accelerate his work at SpaceX.
DeleteWe were working out in the yard and completely forgot about the launch. Having to rely on a replay to see it was good and bad. I was still awed by it, but did not have the excitement I would have watching it live. The flip side is I could watch without worrying.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing what you are growing.
Yes, I was worried thinking about previous disasters. And shed some happy tears later. :)
DeleteI hope the headache and aches have gone and that you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteI like the gloves and look forward to seeing the sweater when it's finished.
Thanks Eileen. I'm all well now. :)
DeleteI think the sweater is looking uglier and uglier. But I'm not going to give up yet. :)
Your fingerless gloves look very nice. Now I'll have to go looking for a pattern so that I can try making a pair too. I'm looking forward to seeing how the sweater comes out. Your plant is looking super. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.
ReplyDeleteThank you Edna. I hope you will find a nice pattern for a pair of fingerless gloves. I saw ones with ribbed cuffs and they look nicer. :)
DeleteI hope your aches and pains subside soon, Nil. I do not like days like that as it's harder to get stuff done when you're hurting like that. I love that you are already getting fruit. I didn't watch the space launch live, but did get to see a video of it later. It's been ten years since we launched a rocket. Times does fly as you say. I hope you have a terrific week. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm all well now, Belinda. Thank you. Sometimes I get migraine headaches and it can ruin a whole day.
DeleteI hope you and Bailey are doing well.
I have made several pairs of fingerless gloves and love them. Making a sweater would be very challenging for me but I have been wanting to make my granddaughters shrugs. The baby bird is so cute!💖
ReplyDeleteHi Susan, though the pattern calls this a sweater, it is actually a shrug. I don't have enough experience yet to crochet nice sweaters, so I picked an easy pattern. :)
DeleteI watched the launch too... it made me nervous. I hope the mission goes well and they make it home safely. I like your fingerless gloves and that's a cute little fledgling mockingbird!
ReplyDeleteThe nest is empty now. And there's no sign of the three babies. I really hope they are safe. :(
DeleteI am looking forward to see your sweater when done. I also love the photos of your gardening. Wish you a happy Monday !
ReplyDeleteI don't like the look of this sweater at the moment. I hope somehow it will look better at the end. LOL :)
DeleteHope you have a wonderful week, Gaia!
Too much, too soon in the yard work. -smile-
ReplyDeleteFingerless gloves look great!
So glad you watched the SpaceX launch of Crew Dragon! And the docking tooooo. It was magnificent, wasn't it? Such a lovely happening, in a time of many horrors.
Yes, Wisps. I was so happy to see the two astronauts safely arriving at the space station.
DeleteThe SpaceX launch was certainly exciting and just what was needed in a weekend of such unsettling news around the country. We watched it too. Thanks for the updates on the mockingbird fledgling and hope you get to see it do lift-off as well. Too much garden and yard work can tire you out so hope you rested up and feel better soon, Nil. Thanks too for your recent comments on my blog post, much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteThank you Beatrice. I'm all well now.
DeleteIf I did yard work regularly, I wouldn't have to work hard. But I tend to ignore things for a week or so, so they pile up. :)
It's fun to see baby birds. I always hope they survive -- if I can see them, I'm afraid their worst enemies, house cats, can see them. I'm too lazy to do yard work these days.
ReplyDeletebe well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
The little birdie vanished. I hope he flew away. And the other two babies also are not in the nest now. I really hope a hawk or a stray cat didn't get them.
DeleteGreat gloves, Nil! I am actually wearing gloves thos morning as it's a chilly 7C here. It's not often this cold. MegXx
ReplyDeleteWow! 7C is COLD. I thought winter just started for you. Stay warm Meg.
DeleteNil,
ReplyDeleteI love the color of your yarn - so bright and uplifting. I don't think I've ever seen a mockingbird in the wild or passion fruit. Thanks I enjoyed your post and photos.
I would give you some passion fruits if you lived close by. :)
DeletePretty mitts Nil, I have a few pair I've knitted, and find they're so useful.....and cosy.....for early morning walks and chores inside before the house warms up. As Meg said, it's chilly here now, although the days are beautiiful and sunny. I make my mittens with a thumb in, not sure how that works with crochet? Enjoy the ease and relaxation of your days off. x
ReplyDeleteI saw several different versions of mittens and picked an easy one. Just a hole for the thumb. 😊
DeleteStay warm, Nanette.
Hi Nil, Tears are truth. I think we all have certain talents, aptitudes, and abilities that we want to use. You would have been a great astronaut. I love the photos of the mockingbirds! How sweet. The sweater sounds exciting; it will go quickly with bulky weight yarn. Those are beautiful fingerless gloved that you knit, too.
ReplyDeleteThank you Stephenie. One day I’d like to make nice sweaters, like Bless and you do. This one is a very easy pattern. 😊
Deletei hope you're feeling better now Nil. i was just commenting on the Spiced blog about passionfruit- how they grow on people's back fences here...
ReplyDelete