November is just a week away! I'm not sure if I remember any other year that went by this fast.
The college was closed this past Tuesday. So there were no classes, but faculty had a full day of professional development workshops. Then, on Wednesday between classes I attended an online conference organized by another university. I rarely attend conferences now because I don't like cancelling classes. But one advantage of everything going online is that now I can attend conferences without leaving home. ๐
Usually I grade homework assignments between classes, but this week I couldn't do that because of workshops. So I spent the weekend making tests and grading homework. I just finished grading two sets of labs. Other than doing school work, I didn't do much since Friday. I've been suffering from a headache. Last night I decided to take an ibuprofen, but still woke up with the headache this morning. Normally painkillers work pretty fast for my headaches, so I checked the bottle. The bottle of ibuprofen had expired years ago! ๐ฌ By that time I was feeling nauseous, so one of my wonderful friends brought a new bottle of ibuprofen for me. Thirty minutes after taking a pill, headache started going down, so I was able to finish grading.
Thank you everyone for ideas for sweet potato recipes! So far I had boiled potatoes with salt, pepper and butter, and also baked with bacon, onions and bell peppers and had it for breakfast. There are 5 more potatoes waiting for new recipes. :)
| Baked sweet potatoes with eggs, leek & potato soup, boiled cauliflower. |
I tried a new cauliflower salad by Jacques Pepin. It's a very simple one. Boil a cauliflower, sprinkle salt and pepper, and eat it with a simple vinaigrette. I should have used a small piece of cauliflower, because an entire head was too much.
I crocheted ten pieces of granny squares in yellow, and added a maroon border. I wish I had more yarn to make squares, but I ran out of yellow yarn. It's a skein I bought from a thrift store (there was no label), so I couldn't find the exact color at the craft store.
I also made a bigger granny square using two colors of yarn. This is the first time I changed colors. I also added a border.
Nothing happened in the yard. The guava plant is still waiting for me to find a good spot in the front yard. (or maybe in the back yard...). I should stop buying more plants until I plant the ones already in pots! However, on top of everything I have to do in the yard, the other day I bought an Asian jasmine vine from the discount rack at Walmart. The flowers are identical to what Mom has in her yard, and the fragrance reminded me of her. So I bought it. Now it is waiting in the pile of plants near the back door. ๐ถ
Yesterday my sister sent a short video to show me her winged bean vine (Psophocarpus tetra-gonolobus). This is a part of Mom's backyard. Just seeing it and hearing the sounds of birds and squirrels make me so happy.
Take care everyone. Stay safe.
XXX
Nil
I'm very glad the headache went quickly once you had some in date meds. It sounds such a busy time for you at the moment. Take care and I hope you're getting some me time as well.
ReplyDeletexx
The sounds form your mom's back yard are wonderful!
ReplyDeleteYou have had a busy week! I'm glad you were able to get a new bottle of ibuprofen and the headache went away. Your granny squares are coming along well. I like the brown and white one, with the lovely shell border around.
ReplyDeleteYour mom's garden looks great and how nice to see dambala growing! The Sri Lankan store occasionally has some for sale, which makes me think that someone here probably has some growing, but, I haven't eaten any in a long time.
Yum,you cook so well, everything looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteIt does feel like this year has gone by quickly. Your crocheted squares are pretty. X
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a productive weekend. Sorry to hear you had a headache, but how sweet of you friend to bring you ibuprofen.:-)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you've been sick with a headache, Nil. It was nice of your friend to bring you a new botte of ibuprofen. I like watching Jacques Pepin's cooking videos. He always has good tips to learn and he has a soothing voce. Your aloe Vera plant looks good and healthy ad your granny squares are so pretty. I hope you can find the right color yarn to finish it.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you were one very busy lady. I love seeing such lush gardens. Thanks for sharing the video. Things are so brown and dry here.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the year feels like it went by quickly despite slowing down during the last 7 months. I feel lucky that I am retired and able to decide where I want to be which is home. Hope you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteThis year has gone by and continues to be going by so fast, Nil. Glad the headache went away with the fresh supply of ibuprofin. We have used outdated pills, but perhaps not quite so old. Now I know that over a certain number of years they will not be effecive, so thanks for that info. We really enjoy cauliflower but can never use an entire head at once, so cutting in half works for a couple of meals. The Pepin recipe sounds like something we will try.
ReplyDeletesounds like you've had a busy and fulfilling week Nil. i still say go for sweet potato fries with aioli. so delish!
ReplyDeleteMy heart ached a little over your joy at seeing the video from home, hearing the familiar sounds you grew up with. It must be so hard for you, and for your Mum and sisters too. I will remember all of you in my prayers tonight.
ReplyDeleteHope the headache didn't come back. You sleep tight, Nil.
Hi Nil, My, you've been busy! I love your granny squares. Your work is so neat. They are fun to make as blankets, too.
ReplyDeleteHope your headache didn't come back. I have the same problem with my meds....I look at them and they expired a couple of years ago! (such as benedryl that i use for motion sickness when i travel). Beautiful crocheting. And good cooking! I enjoyed the video (so nice of your sister) and the birds. I'm sure it brings wonderful memories to you. Andrea
ReplyDeleteI feel like the year has flown by too, Nil. We changed the calendar over to November here this morning and it seems a bit unreal that there's just two months of this year left. Your crochet looks great! I keep meaning to get back to knitting (I've had the same half-finished washcloth on the needles for a couple of months) but seem to have lost a bit of my usual energy of late. Hope that headache has settled down and you are feeling well again. MegXx
ReplyDeleteYou are one busy person! What a kind friend to help you out in your time of need.Happy November! It seems strange saying that, can it really be November already?๐
ReplyDelete