For me living simply and living frugally go hand in hand. Living simply makes me think about what I need rather than what I want, which helps me make frugal decisions. It's not simply saving money - it's saving resources as much as possible and saving time. Living frugally in turn makes my life simpler as well. Because I'm mindful of what I buy, there's less clutter at home. Less clutter means less time spent in organizing and cleaning, allowing me a stress free life. It is a cycle, really.
When I look back, I realize that my frugal living started out of necessity. Soon I learned that how peaceful it was to not be in a rat race of making more money, buying more stuff, and making even more money to pay for even more stuff. Frugal living makes my life simple. And my simple life helped me choose a career I enjoy immensely though it won't make me a millionaire.
I can think of 9 basic steps that help me live a simple life with more time to do things I love, without the financial stress.
1) Pay myself first
I don't want to sacrifice my life just to make a lot of money. However, financial freedom is important to me. I am very debt averse, so I plan my savings and expenses carefully. I have automated retirement savings so that a percentage of my pay check goes to a before tax retirement account. I also contribute to an after tax retirement account. Then, another portion goes to savings accounts. I have several different online savings accounts for taxes and insurance, house maintenance and emergency fund. These are the first things taken out of my pay check before paying bills.
To be honest, I don't have a very strict budget. I do track my expenses though. I started doing this when I was a cash strapped graduate student, and still continue to write down even the smallest expense on an EXCEL spreadsheet. My budget is not very detailed. My grocery budget includes food and everything else I would buy at the store. I have $150 for food and $100 for expenses such as personal care, clothes, gifts etc. Because I rarely buy clothes I don't have a separate amount.
As long as the total is less than $350, I don't worry too much. But I see that perhaps I can be more organized when creating the budget.
3) Live close to work
I've always rented apartments close to school and work. Some were within walking distance while others were on a bus route or within a 15 minute drive. When I decided to buy a house, one of the main requirements I had was that it should be within 5 mile distance from where I work. And the way I calculate the distance could be somewhat silly, but I count it from my drive way to the parking lot at work. 😊 Now I live 3.2 miles from work, and this is when I take the longer route to avoid high traffic intersections. Living close to work saves me a lot of time. And I fill up my car about once a month, saving a considerable amount of money. And there is no price for the time I save and being able to keep my sanity by avoiding traffic madness.
4) Cook from scratch
I always cook from scratch. I think I learn this from my mom, who never uses ready made meals. I like experimenting with new recipes. And when cook at home, I know exactly what is in my meals. They are healthier which saves money both short term and long term.
5) Take lunch to work
I always take lunch to work. Every night I prepare my lunch for the next day and keep in the fridge. I also fill water bottles. This saves time in the morning and I don't have to rush. A sandwich at the cafeteria is about $ 6.50, so taking lunch to work saves me over $100 each month.
6) Buy good quality items
Whether it is used or new I try to buy good quality items. I have learned that cheaper stuff won't last long making it more expensive in the long run. I like buying used furniture made of hardwood. When I need a kitchen appliance I read online reviews and also check ratings on Consumer Reports. My new house came with a stove, a fridge, a washer and a dryer that are pretty old. They still work fine, though one burner of the stove doesn't work. Eventually I will have to replace these, so I save money in a high yield savings account.
7) Make at home, mend, reuse and repurpose
My father was very handy and made many things at home. He knew how to repair electric appliances, fix plumbing problems, and make kitchen shelves and book cases. Though I'm not as skillful as dad was, I also like mending broken items and reusing or repurposing. Not only I save money, but I find it very satisfying to make things for my home.
I also make deodorant and washing liquid at home to avoid harmful chemicals. I don't like store bought laundry detergents because even the ones for sensitive skin make me sneeze. A small jar of Aluminum free deodorant at the health food store costs $9.99 and I have found several good recipes with baking soda and either coconut oil or Shea butter and vegetable glycerin. You can find these recipes here.
8) Find less expensive hobbies & entertainment methods
I love reading. I have several shelves full of books on many different topics. I addition to borrowing from the library, I mainly buy used books. I rarely go out to eat and when I do, I make sure it doesn't cost more than the budgeted amount. I'm an introvert, so I don't find most expensive activities enjoyable. I love traveling - which can be expensive, so I plan my trips and save in advance.
This is the most important step for me. I have been able to follow all the above steps because I have been able to walk my own path, without keeping up with the Joneses. To be honest, being an introvert helps me a lot, because I don't hang out with people who judge me for my life style. Even with the best intensions, loved ones can sometime give unsolicited advice. I'm mostly immune to these suggestions and advice now.
When I need advice I talk to my family and close friends, ask for advice from people who have more experience, though the final decision has been always mine. This has saved me a lot of regrets and made me more confident of my decisions.
I do all of these things, too, Nil. I think the fact that you have always lived so close to work and school is brilliant. The traffic we have in LA is very stressful and time consuming. I save money by working from home and using my bicycle as transportation. We can put our bikes on the bus racks and in special train cars here. I love it...great article!
ReplyDeleteWalking your own path is the key I think.
ReplyDeleteFor me going back to what is important to you and that is family to me and our four walls. I find the more you can do at home as far as producing your own veggies, having chickens, making your own cleaners, less chemicals and the satisfaction of not relying of having to buy everything. Utilising the library, riding my bike wherever I can, leaving the car at home as much as possible, discovering walking trails with the kids, having family get togethers at home with a big cookup together. Simplifying makes me feel happy.
Kylie