Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A Stroll in Mom's Yard

My mom loves flowers and ornamental plants. Dad loved fruits and vegetables. Many years ago they planted  coconut, jackfruit, moringa and curry leaf and several fruit trees in the yard.  These have grown well and now provide fruits and vegetables for us.

Moringa (Moringa oleifera)
I remember my parents growing beans, okra, chili peppers, ginger, turmeric and tomatoes.  After dad passed away, mom didn't start any new vegetable plots. She grows flowers and ornamentals in pots now.  I want to plant chili peppers in pots so she can easily maintain them. Peppers are very expensive now and mom uses quite a lot daily when she cooks.

Ambarella (Spondias dulcis)
I love ambarella curry. This ambarella tree is not tall, so we can pick fruits by hand easily.


Custard Apple (Annona reticulate )
Though I prefer growing vegetables, mom enjoys flowers. Every morning after the breakfast, she tends to her plants.


Most of these were given as seeds, or cuttings to her by family friends. Sometimes my sister would take mom to a nearby plant nursery  so she can choose new plants.


Because the yard is full of trees and flowers, there are lot of birds, butterflies and squirrels. As I write this, I can hear birds singing and squirrels chirping. It's lovely to be surrounded by the sounds of nature.

3 comments:

  1. Your Mum's garden looks well cared for and loved. Nature offers us so much and being outside in our gardens and slowing down we really notice it so much more. The sounds, smells and sunshine.
    I think your Mum would make good use of a chilli pepper plant and will think of you every time.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know what a moringa was. I had to look it up. It appears to be VERY nutritious, and it's such a lush tree. Your mother's plants are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love listening to the sounds of nature, too. It's so relaxing. The plants all look so healthy. Gardening is great therapy.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻