Thursday, January 25, 2018

DIY January

I always like to make things for my home. Then I can make it the way I want, and also save money.  This month I finished several projects.

1) I made curtains for kitchen windows. I was amazed to see very expensive fabric at the store, some for $60 per yard!  I almost gave up buying new fabric when I saw the prices. Then I found a pattern I like on the 50% off  shelf. I also had a 20% off coupon, so the total came to be $40.23 for 7 yards. Later I will add lace curtains as well, but these give me privacy, especially at night.


2) I have been looking for a lampshade for the dining area. There was a chandelier there when I bought the house. It was not really my style. I wanted something simple, a lamp that uses regular LED bulbs. And something that doesn't cost a lot. After searching for several months, I decided to make my own lampshade. An old light fixture and a lampshade from thrift stores combined with some parts taken from the chandelier created this simple lamp, now hangs in the dining area. The total cost is under $12.


3) I also bought a TV stand. Even the simplest stand at stores cost around $100. I wanted a real wood stand with drawers or cupboards for storage. I found this at a thrift store for just over $40.



4) This is the desk in my office/library. This was left at the curbside, and after several coats of paint and varnish, it looks brand new. A free wooden desk is a real bargain, don't you think? ☺

It's been a really busy month. Did you find any thrift store bargains this month?


XX
Nil





22 comments:

  1. Nil I haven't been to the Op Shops ( as we call them) lately as I have already got too much 'stuff' I need to get rid of. It is too tempting when you see a real bargain there :-) I love the curtains and lightshade. To pick up a free desk too is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel, I agree sometimes bargains are not really bargains if we keep buying just for the lower price. I really have to keep telling myself that I already have enough books, plates, tea pots etc. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Can't believe the desk was curbside. Great find. It's beautiful (after all your work of course.) Also, your curtains look nice. As a quilter, I've had people think a quilt should cost $40. I have to explain the price of material etc. before any time is even invested. Glad you found a sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As they say one man's trash is another man's treasure. :) I was really happy the way the desk turned out after painting. I don't know why the previous owner threw it away, it only had few scratches on the top.

      Handmade quits should be expensive when we consider the cost of materials and the time. It's unfortunate that some people don't realize it.

      Delete
  3. Well done, you have made a huge difference to that desk! I love the lampshade -so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've found some real treasures there Nil. I love the desk. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. I still can't believe why someone left that desk at the curb. It was already in good condition except for few scratches.

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed how you use restraint and don't go crazy trying to furnish every room all at once. Taking the time to find the perfect pieces (or make the perfect pieces) means your house is unique and reflects you, not some magazine. The view out your window (past your new curtains!) is beautiful!

    I haven't found any large items at thrift stores lately, but I found new running shorts and new running shoes at our Goodwill store. I'm extra happy about those because I'm worried that if no one bought them, they'd end up in a landfill.

    p.s. I can't believe that desk was free, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Priscilla, I don't like the magazine look. That's why I don't like 'sets' sold at stores. Almost every furniture I have has a story - how I found it, refinished it etc. which makes it more interesting to me. :)

      Delete
  6. Some great makes and finds. It is amazing what is out there for free isn't it, we have a couple of websites here in the UK called freecycle and Freegle, where unwanted goods are advertised, we have had some lovely things. Love the tv stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several years ago I joined freecycle, but I never had the time to go pick up things before others did. I should look into it again.

      Delete
  7. Your home is coming along so nicely Nil, as you add bits and pieces you love. I like where your table is, under the window, with the view across the yard. Pretty curtains too. My latest op shop finds were about 3 metres of lovely pink cotton fabric, for $2 that I'm using to back baby quilts with, and a pair of Country Road shorts, that look like they've never been worn, or maybe once, for $3. But like you, I have to resist the other things I take a fancy to, as I have enough "stuff".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted a kitchen with a sink by the window. Now I'm glad I can keep the small table there. I have bird feeder outside, so I can watch birds while having breakfast. :)

      Delete
  8. Those curtains are just beautiful! I would like to make curtains for my cottage. Don't you love finding furniture second hand? I do. I love that lamp in your first photo; it's charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephenie, the lamp in the first photo is a candle holder bought from a garage sale for $2. Oh I love secondhand furniture. Especially old wooden ones. They are sturdy and have more character than new plywood furniture.

      Delete
  9. Your curtains look lovely, Nil and your desk is wonderful. It looks like new! We too picked up a little second-hand corner tv unit just after xmas for $50. This saved us many $s. Friends of our went back to live in Japan recently and we inherited their tv which is a lot bigger than our old one and then wouldn't fit on our old tv cabinet. I didn't want to pay too much for a new cabinet so this was a very lucky find and just what we needed. I also picked up a little bundle of beautiful old linens recently and they will be used in sewing projects. There's nothing like soft and worn linen to stitch on and sew with. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Meg, I too like soft worn linen. They can be a bit pricey here, even at thrift stores. It's great that you got a bigger tv and and a secondhand tv unit. Newer tvs use less electricity, so it saves money. :)

      Delete
  10. I love second hand! Most of my house has old furniture that we have done up to suit our needs. I don't like the modern day furniture, it is very cheaply made.

    I loved all your diy projects, especially the lampshade and desk. You do an amazing job with bringing "things" back to life.

    The curtains look great!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania.
      Yes you are right, modern day furniture is cheaply made, especially more affordable ones. If it's good real wood then they are too expensive. That's why I always go to second hand ones first. :)

      Delete
  11. Nil, your place is coming together very nicely. The work you have done is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻