The plantation shutters in the living room are all done now. It took longer than planned, but I'm extremely happy about how they look. The best thing is that I didn't have to spend a lot. A little by little the living room is coming together.
The living room is very bare, not a lot of furniture in there yet. I didn't buy anything new. I bought this sofa about 8 years ago for $50. It was a used one. It has been moved across the state lines, used in two different apartments and is still in good condition.
| Plantation shutters in the living room. |
The living room is very bare, not a lot of furniture in there yet. I didn't buy anything new. I bought this sofa about 8 years ago for $50. It was a used one. It has been moved across the state lines, used in two different apartments and is still in good condition.
| The sofa in my previous apartment. |
I can't decide whether to keep this sofa or buy a new one.
A part of me wants to buy a new sofa. Something new for my new home. If I buy a new sofa, should buy a brand new one, or a 'new to me' used one?
I have a sofa problem! (A First World problem, of course.) So I thought to write down pros and cons of each option.
(1) Keep the current sofa
Pros:
1) No expenses unless I decide to buy a new sofa cover. Even then it shouldn't cost more than $50-60.
2) The sofa is easy to clean and I can remove the covers and wash. This is a feature I really like.
3) This option fits with my frugal environmentally conscious lifestyle.
Cons:
1) Can't think of any, except that I like to have a different one. Ha!
(2) Buy another 'new to me' used sofa
Pros:
1) Still cheaper than buying a brand new one. I have seen used ones for around $200.
2) Easier to find a real wood sofa for a reasonable price.
3) Something different, a new look for my new living room.
Cons:
1) I have to be very careful about bed bugs (eek!)
2) I've been checking thrift stores and didn't find one I like yet. They have a limited selection.
(3) Buy a brand new sofa
Pros:
1) More options. Easier to find a style and colors I like.
2) No bed bug problems to worry.
3) Most stores will deliver so I don't have to worry about getting it home.
Cons:
1) Expensive. I'll have to spend at least $500, probably more for a reasonably good quality sofa. I don't want to pay more than $750. Oh boy that's a lot for a single piece of furniture!
2) Off gassing. That new sofa smell is something I can't stand. New pieces of furniture release volatile organic compounds that can cause allergic reactions, asthma and other health problems. Because I have a very sensitive nose, this is something I have to pay attention to.
So, what do you think? If you were me, what would you do? Are there more pros and cons in each option that I haven't thought of yet?
XX
Nil
The shutters look great! What if you keep the sofa but get (or make) some "new" pillows for on the sofa and or a little rug. Then you can switch those out easily (as opposed to moving a sofa.) Just an idea.
ReplyDeleteI need to make new covers for pillows. The current ones look old now. :)
DeleteAt the moment I'm leaning towards keeping the sofa for a while, do I'll dress it up.
Treat yourself to a new one. You've saved so much in other areas. It will last you a lot of years and it sounds like it's something that will make you happy. X
ReplyDeleteI'm going to keep the current sofa for a while and save for a good quality new one. Yes I think a new sofa will make me happy. 😊
DeleteAs you say, this desire for a new sofa seems to be heart-driven, not head driven -your arguments are pretty logically clear. So what is it that your heart wants? A different colour or shape? A different level of comfort? If you just want to have your room more personally yours, you could do it with the decorations, art work, plants, cushions etc. A sofa is a big decision. and has a big impact in the room. If it were me I would put the sofa on a 30 day cooling off period and see if I couldn't make the room more to my liking without the purchase. Then if I still wanted it and could afford it, I would!
ReplyDeleteYes earthmotherwithin, I'm going to take some time and look for a sofa I really like. For now, I will add new pillows to the old one and dress it up.
DeleteNil, if your lounge is comfortable then I would just make or buy new covers for it and perhaps buy something else for your 'new' look. I would love a living room that looks bare instead of cluttered. LOL! Too many hoarders around here.
ReplyDeleteHaha, I think I feel the room is bare because there are no bookshelves. Whenever there are books in a room I feel much better.
DeleteFor now I'm going to buy a new cover and make pillows. :)
This is just me. You have to do what's right for you, but I would save 2000 dollars while enjoying the current sofa and really getting your money's worth out of the old one. Then with the 2000 dollars saved up buy an eco-friendly sofa (no VOC's).
ReplyDeleteBed bugs, ugh. I brought one home in a library book last week! I guess what I should do from now on is take the book to a corner in the library and discreetly examine the book with a flashlight before going to the checkout.
It's a really good idea Priscilla. Now I'm leaning toward keeping the current sofa for a while, and taking time to look for a new one.
DeleteBed bugs in books? :O I never thought of checking books for bugs!
Hi Nil, I love your living room. It looks so clean and comfortable. I like your sofa, especially with the covers. As Lady Locust said, new cushions can make a world of difference. Cost Plus has very soft and plush sofas, at excellent prices. I got one there twenty years ago, and it was heaven. No toxic smells...
ReplyDeleteThat's what I'm thinking now, Stephenie. Dress up the current one and take time to look for a new sofa. I googled and found a place called Cost Plus World Market in a nearby town. I'll see what they have. :)
DeleteMy thinking was along the lines of Pricilla's.....save up for a new one and in the meantime go sofa hunting. Look at them all, sit on them, ask about colour and fabric type availability and so when you've saved enough you'll know just what you want....or you might decide not buy after all. I did this when I moved here, I had a perfectly good sofa bed but it was not very big and looked funny in my new larger lounge and when I had visitors we had to sit in a line like people at a bus stop.....I know, first world problems! I really wanted a new one,but had lots of cons like yours. So I sofa shopped for months and when I'd saved enough for the one I loved, I went and bought it. And I love it, it's a big corner unit with a chaise, and I enjoy being in my lounge room now, and there's room for everyone when I have people over. And I 'paid forward' my old one to a woman who had nothing to sit on, so it found a new home. And I like your sofa, and as others have said, maybe a new cover and cushions. If you don't want to spend too much and want to keep your sofa, another idea is to buy a really nice armchair if you have room. I'd get something funky and bright and big and squishy to curl up in.....but that's just me:) Good luck.
ReplyDeleteYes Nanette that's what I'm going to do. I'll take time and find a sofa I really like. Until then I'll add new pillows to the current one, so it looks a bit different. :) It is a really comfortable sofa and a good size for my small living room. I like the idea of having a bright funky arm chair. My living room really needs some color. 😊
DeleteNil, I have to replace a sofa set consisting of a 3-seater, two seater and a single sofa as the seats have sagged. Getting them fixed is not worth the cost. I like a minimalist look in my house so I have decided to instead get 4 wing chairs/armchairs. They are easier to move around and create a clean look in my living room. Su’ad
ReplyDeleteMy living room is really small, Suad. With a sofa, it has room for one armchair. I like a sofa because I tend to lie down and read on my sofa a lot. :)
DeleteThe plantation shutters are beautiful, Nil. I just love them.
ReplyDeleteThanks Belinda. I too love them. :)
DeleteWe bought a new sofa just recently, Nil. Our old sofa needed replacement and the quote to have it repaired and recovered was more than what our new one cost! We waited for new one to come on sale and then bought it then. We chose a lounge that will suit our growing and getting much taller boy who loves to stretch out and read book after book on the lounge. It's also wide enough to double as a bed too which comes in handy. It's very comfy and was made here in Australia too so it's of good quality that should last a very long time. Taking the time to find exactly what you want and waiting for a good price will save you money in the long run. Meg:) p.s. Your shutters look fantastic!
ReplyDeleteI've heard that repairing & upholstering sofas can be quite expensive, Meg.
DeleteI too read a lot on the sofa. So it must be very comfortable. :)
The plantation shutters are lovely! I'd vote to keep the sofa and buy or make a new cover. If you feel the room is too bare, then, maybe a few plants and a book case?
ReplyDeleteYes, I really have to have books there. :) I'm growing small ornamental vines in a pot and will be able to use it in the living groom.
Delete