While having lunch I was looking out the kitchen window and saw a new bird. So I grabbed my camera and went outside. The bird was at the edge of the small spring lake. It was a Roseate Spoonbill. I don't remember seeing this bird before, though my bird book says it's very common in this area.
| Roseate spoonbill. |
| Roseate spoonbill. |
The lake was full after a couple of rainy days.
Two ducks were relaxing in a corner of the yard, so I was careful not to disturb them.
| Ducks. |
Several days ago I planted long beans in a raised bed.
| Long beans. |
This is an artichoke plant. The weather is not ideal for artichokes, but it seems to be doing well for now.
| Artichoke. |
I planted two store bought beetroot tops in a pot. I also sowed beetroot seeds a couple of weeks ago, but no sign of seedlings yet.
| Beetroot. |
We are experiencing weird weather here. Some days are warm as usual, but some are cool. Cooler days feel like it's still winter. There were several rainy days as well. I like rain, especially on weekends. The garden thrives when rains.
How is your garden doing?
XX
Nil
Hi Nil, That bird is gorgeous!!! I love its colors. He's sort of comical looking. My garden is going bananas. The artichokes are nearly as tall as I am. Your seedlings look healthy and promising. It's been colder here in the mornings, too.
ReplyDeleteI read your recent blog post Stephenie. It's so wonderful to have home grown artichokes. I'm not sure if mine will grow big, this is an experiment. :)
DeleteI love the bird's colours too, Nil. I am not sure we have them here in Oz. I had a lettuce eaten the other night and we are wondering if it was from a rabbit. They are banned in our state but apparently they are gaining numbers once again much to the farmers' disgust. They do too much damage to crops and we live in a farming area. My covered garden with lettuce and silverbeet in it is doing well though.
ReplyDeleteFortunately I have no rabbits yet. At least I think so because lettuce is safe so far. :) There is a bunch of stray cats roaming around, so I think they keep other animals away.
DeleteOh wow, the Roseate Spoonbill is beautiful! I would love to have seen that bird. I love watching the birds come to our birdfeeders. I could sit there all day and watch them. How neat that you saw one so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI too enjoy watching birds, Belinda. It's hard to photograph birds at the feeder but this spoonbill was very calm even when I got closer.
DeleteThat's some pretty cool bird watching. Looks like some nice happenings in the garden for the start of the season. Is that a Jerusalem or globe artichoke? I've never thought of growing beetroots from the tops - great idea.
ReplyDeleteIt's called Emerald artichoke, Laura. According to the seed package it's a thornless variety.
DeleteWhat a beautiful bird, lovely to have birds on the doorstep.
ReplyDeleteDo you keep the beetroots in pots?
Yes Scent of Roses. So far I've always grown them in pots.
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting. :)
Wow! What a wonderful moment.
ReplyDeleteIt really was earthmotherwithin. :)
DeleteAw, the spoonbill is pretty! We don't have a vegetable garden, only ornamentals. Our neighbor has had to put up deer netting because of all the deer that's been after his garden the past couple of years.
ReplyDeleteThankfully, there are no deer here. I've heard that they can be very destructive.
DeleteWhat an interesting looking bird & a beautiful view you have. We too love beet tops. Mine look just about like yours at the moment- not big enough to eat yet.
ReplyDeleteI use beet leaves when I sauté mixed greens. :)
DeleteWhat beautiful pinky feathers on that bird, Nil. Lovely that you are enjoying the rain. I love rainy days too. I have lettuce, chard, spring onion, leek and broccoli seedlings in the garden now as well as beetroot. I like to add beetroot leaves to salads, they are delicious! Meg:)
ReplyDeleteWhen I saw your list of seedlings I wondered why you are growing broccoli now, and then remembered you are getting closer to winter over there. :) I need to remove left over broccoli and bolted lettuce - it's too warm here now.
DeleteThat is so nice that you are able to see the different birds that come to the lake! You are going to have a nice vegetable garden! I haven't planted anything yet, although I want to! I have a turmeric root that is starting to grow - I need to get it planted soon. Maybe I'll plant it in a pot for now and then, plant it in the ground, later. I've never grown turmeric, before!
ReplyDeleteBless, Yes I think a pot will be better and once it grows big you can put it in the ground. I had a ginger plant in a pot and it died during the freeze. Just the other day I saw it coming back. :)
Delete