Thursday, June 7, 2018

My Favorite Financial Forums & Websites

I'm an avid reader. I like reading for both pleasure and knowledge. When it comes to learning, there are so many possibilities today. There are not only books, but also hundreds of websites that teach you almost everything under the sun.
 
I like reading about frugal living and investing. In addition to my favorite books on those topics, I frequent financial forums and websites that discuss investing, saving and everything related to personal finance. I have learned a lot by reading these forums.
 
This a community of followers of Mr. Money Mustache, a former software engineer who retired when he was 30 years old. Mr. Money Mustache and his followers adhere to simple frugal living so that they can invest most of their income. Their goal is to retire extremely early. I wish I had known about his philosophy when I was in my twenties. Better late than never. I won't be able to retire as early as them, but I really value financial independence. I can't invest a lot of money as I don't make a lot, but I have learned a lot by reading this forum. I especially like this post about investment order. There are two sections; one for US investors and one for Australian investors.
It's also encouraging to read about people who make much more than I do still live extremely frugally in order to retire early.
 
 
In my opinion, the community here is a little bit different. It's a great place to learn about low cost index funds and mutual funds. I like reading its wiki , it's full of valuable information.
 
 
I found this site just recently, literally about a week ago. I like the couple of posts I read so far.
 
 
How about you? Do you read financial forums and websites? What are your favorites?
 
 
XX
 
Nil
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. I shall take a look at those websites/forums Nil, it's not just about frugality is it, investing wisely is a good thing, over here we have moneysavingexpert.com which has several different forums on different topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited moneysaving expert several times. The threads I looked at were mainly for U.K. readers, so I don't read it often. 😊

      Delete
  2. I like the Mr. Money Mustache website and forums too, Nil. I also wish I had known about this type of lifestyle when I was younger. I'll have to look at the other two websites as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your daughter is also very frugal minded. These websites are great for her to start early.
      And for us, better to start late than never. That's my motto. 😊

      Delete
  3. Hi Nil, I listen to Dave Ramsey's podcasts. Initially, I focused on getting out of debt and reducing my expenses. Now I am concentrating on increasing my income, reconnecting with successful people, and submitting my work. I love luxury and travel, but at the same time live simply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about Dave Ramsey and his snow ball method. I didn't follow him but I know he has helped many to get out of debt. I think he has a Facebook page too.

      Delete
  4. There is something of these websites that draw people! Personally I like to read how moms with a bunch of kids feed their family, etc. My husband takes care of financial stuff. I always felt the most important thing to do was to buy a house as soon as possible and pay it off. That way, you have somewhere to live for no monthly payments or rent. I know many people that moved up and up (unlike olden days when people stayed put) and ended up not having a house paid-off by the time they retired. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about paying off the house.
      Some people argue that it's better to invest extra money than paying off the mortgage especially when interest rates are so low. Mathematically it might make sense, but I hate debt so I'm trying to pay my mortgage off as soon as possible.

      Delete
  5. Mr. Money Mustache is a good one! I haven't heard of the other two, so thanks for the heads up. I like the Dave Ramsey show. It's not a website, but a radio program. If I need a pick-me-up for sticking to a tight budget, I listen to it. It's not for everyone (has Christian slant, and he can be abrasive), but it's like having a cheerleader in my corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about Dave Ramsey. Never followed him because I thought he mainly discussed debt paying strategies etc. I'm not very good at listening to radio (or audio books), my mind wonders. :)

      It's always good to have cheerleaders. :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Nil, welcome back from your holiday. I think my comment on your previous post got eaten by the interweb gremlins...not to worry.
    I too am an avid reader when it comes to learning. As a kid I used to read encyclopedias!!
    I am a big MMM fan - he was my first introduction to the concept of FI.
    I also love reading the frugalwoods and 1500 days to freedom. For an Australian view on finances Mr Home Maker is carving out a little niche and https://www.strongmoneyaustralia.com/ is also good to read.
    Good luck with the goals for the remainder of the year.
    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee Laura, when I was a kid I used to read dictionaries. LOL
      I'm still on my vacation so I have more time to read. :)
      I'm going to check 1500 days to freedom and the other website. Thank you.
      I'm also a fan of Mr Home Maker.

      Delete
  7. That is good that you are reading these websites and forums and learning from them. I started out reading magazine articles! I don't follow any particular frugal website or forum. I just live well under my means and save what I can! It has worked well for me, so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, living well below our means is the best way to go. :)

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻