Monday, June 25, 2018

In Memory of Dad

The past week was a busy one. On Sunday we had an almsgiving at home in memory of my dad. Dad passed away two years ago. In Sri Lanka the tradition is to hold an almsgiving each year to honor the memory of the loved one on their death anniversary.

We invited 10 Buddhist monks from the nearby temple. We also invited relatives, and several neighbors who knew dad since he was a teenager. Mom's siblings and their families came the day before to help us prepare food for the event. Preparing food for monks is the most important part of the almsgiving.  People take great care buying the best seasonal fruits and vegetables, and cooking them. Every one likes to participate in anyway they can; some help with cooking, others offer to bring a certain regional dish, or help preparing the house for the occasion.


Monks do not eat after noon, so the tradition is to start the almsgiving around 11 am. As monks entered home, a cousin and an uncle washed and wiped their feet according to the tradition.
 
After they were seated,  the chief monk chanted the Three Refuges and the Five Precepts to the participants. Then we served food.

(Photo credit goes to my sis S.)
 
After the monks had lunch, other gifts were offered to them. Then the chief monk delivered a short speech transferring merits to dad and blessing everyone.
 
Once the monks left, everyone had lunch. It was a happy event in a way because it's one of the few times all relatives get together. They reminisced about dad and told stories of past events. I wish dad had been there because he loved having almsgivings at home and getting together with relatives.
 
 
XX
 
Nil
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. I didn't know about that tradition. What a pleasant way to honor and remember a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice tradition to honour your dad Nil and to connect with family. Not to mention enjoy some lovely food I'm sure.
    Hope your summer is going well.
    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to remember your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nil, how fascinating. So pleased you were home with Mum for this special day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely tradition in memory of your dad Nil. Thank you for sharing this. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a nice way to remember the memory of your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved hearing about your almsgiving tradition Nil, thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of that custom Nil, and what a very special way to remember your beloved Dad.Sounds like very delicious food too.Cheers, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice way to honor a deceased loved one. I didn't know of this tradition. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ceremony sounds beautiful. What a wonderful way to remember your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful tradition. The house looks beautiful. I'm sure your dad was there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful way to honour your Dad, Nil. To be surrounded by your family and to have such a strong tradition for remembering a loved one. Thank you for sharing. Meg Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading your description of the almsgiving, Nil. I am so glad that you were able to be there and participate. I also like how the tables were set up and that runner on the floor! My mother once sewed a canopy with lotus flowers, like that, for a kathina ceremony at the temple.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hadn't known that you were Buddhist, Nil, not until I read your earlier holiday posts. What a precious custom. We Catholics have a similar custom to remember loved ones who have passed away, but while the prayers offered at church go on every year or as often as we want to, the get-together meal is normally only done on the 30th day after death and on the 1st year anniversary.

    But yours is a really nice custom. From what you've written about your Dad before, I can imagine his joy at seeing everyone tucked close together under his roof.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻