After a 5 week vacation with mom and family, I went back to the USA via Melbourne. One of my very best friends S lives in Melbourne. I stayed with her and her family for a week. A week is a very short time to catch up with friends who haven't met in years, but we were able to pack reasonable amounts of both chatting and sightseeing in to a week's time. 😄
On the first day we took the train to the city. We visited Eureka Skydeck, the tallest observation deck in the southern hemisphere. The view from the 88th floor was amazing.
| Eureka Tower |
| Government House - The official residence of the Governor of Victoria. |
We spent several hours in the city. It was colder than I
thought and I had forgotten to bring a scarf. So I bought a scarf and several
pairs of socks. After having lunch at a
Chinese restaurant, we went to a secondhand bookstore called City Basement Books. I didn’t buy anything, but S found several books for little T and L.
The next day I met several members from the Homemakers Forum at a nearby restaurant. It was a wonderful experience. I was a bit nervous at first, but everyone was so friendly and I
felt like it was a bunch of people that I already knew. I received lots of
gifts. Homemade cheese, eggs, a
beautiful tote bag, a homemade soap, two packs of Tim Tam, bottles of chutney and
sauce, two seed starter heat mats and Australian slang dictionary. I also received a raspberry
cutting and a maidenhair fern for my friend.
I still can’t believe that I got to meet a group of ladies I met on an
online forum especially the ones who live on a different continent on the other
side of the world!
| Some of the gifts from the lovely forum members. |
On the third day I visited several places. The first stop
was Edendale community farm. There were lots of kids because it was school holiday time. They were having a great time petting animals and climbing trees.
The next stop was the timber trestle rail bridge in Eltham.
I learned about this from a forum member. This bridge is one the few rare timber bridges still in use in the State of Victoria.
After having lunch in Eltham, we visited Diamond Valley Railway. Because
it was school holidays, the railway was open on Wednesday. I loved the
miniature train ride. The train went over bridges, and through tunnels for
about 15 minutes. The sound of the train reminded me of the trains in Sri Lanka.
After all that we were
tired, so we went home and relaxed a bit.
In the evening we met a couple of friends for dinner at a Thai restaurant. S and I were at the
university with this couple, and hadn’t seen them since we graduated 17 years
ago. It was so nice to see their kids for the first time.
We spent the next day at home, just chatting and watching a movie. I always like to have downtime even when on vacation. Especially because S and I met after 4 years, we had so much to chat about 😄. There was more chatting on the following day because we visited another friend whom I hadn't met for 17 years.
The day before I left Melbourne, we went to see a waterfall about 100 km away. According to VisitVictoria website, Trentham Falls is the highest single drop water fall in the State. It was a cold, rainy day and I really enjoyed the drive on Trentham Scenic Reserve Road. And on the way back I saw kangaroos! I was pretty excited because I didn't see one kangaroo on my previous trip to Australia.
The week in Melbourne went very fast. I had an absolutely wonderful time meeting with new and old friends, and visiting places. After a couple of 14 hour flights and another delayed domestic flight I came home very tired, but my long vacation in Sri Lanka and Australia was great. I'm always sad to leave mom and sisters though these months will go by fast and I'll be seeing them again soon next year. 💖
XX
Nil
Wow what an amazing time you have had, and meeting some like minded people that is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
Marlene
Thank you Marlene. Yes, it was a wonderful vacation. :)
DeleteNil, it is so great that you enjoyed your trip to Australia and actually saw a kangaroo. LOL! Most Aussies would have a laugh at that as they are in plague proportions in some areas. Now it is back to the routine again I guess.
ReplyDeleteHehee Chel, I think it's a big deal for tourists to see a kangaroo.
DeleteYes, back to the routine again but I'm already thinking of the next trip. LOL
Oh, what a great trip it sounds like, Nil. I'm so glad you were able to go and I enjoyed your pictures and blog post very much.
ReplyDeleteThank you Belinda. :)
DeleteWelcome back, Nil. So glad to read that you had a wonderful time with your family in Sri Lanka and got to visit friends in Australia, as well. I have relatives in various parts of Australia, including Melbourne, but I have never been there. I hope you get a few days to rest before you need to go back to work.
ReplyDeleteThank you Bless. Thankfully I have a couple of weeks left before going back to work. :)
DeleteMay be a trip to Melbourne is a good way to start your retirement. :)
Oh how fun! What memories! Glad you are home safely.
ReplyDeletePS rather envious you got to meet forum friends in real life 😊
Yes, that was a great meet up. Lady Locust, may be we should arrange a forum get together for US members. :)
DeleteI've now got a few more things to add to my "must see" list for when we next return to Melbourne, Nil. How exciting that you got to see kangaroos! It's lovely that you had a wonderful time catching up with your friends and forum members too. It sounds a nice balance between exploring a new place and having some quieter time to just to catch up with your friends. Meg:)
ReplyDeleteYes, Meg. Catching up with friends is the best part. I love travelling and meeting friends, so being able to combine both was great. :)
DeleteWhat a wonderful trip, Nil! Look at all of those lovely gifts from the ladies at The Homemakers Forum! It's so heartwarming to see old friends. I'm glad that you got to spend time with your family, too. Welcome back!
ReplyDeleteThanks Stephenie.
DeleteOur forum members are the best. I'm still enjoying Gina's Tim Tams, one a day so it lasts longer. :)
I'm so happy for you that you got to see your Melbourne friend. It looks like a wonderful place. I think the farm would have been especially fun to visit. The EIGHTY-EIGHTH floor, wow!
ReplyDeleteIt was indeed a wonderful place, Priscilla. I really enjoyed the trip. :)
DeleteIt might've been only a week, but you managed to do and see so much. And wonderful highlights......a kangaroo and getting to meet members of the Forum. Wonderful memories for you.
ReplyDeleteI wish you had been there too Nanette. May be on my next trip I'll get to visit your state and meet you too. :)
DeleteOh that would be wonderful, I look forward to " one day" ☺
DeleteGreat pictures Nil, sounds perfect.
ReplyDeleteThank you earthmotherwithin. 😊
DeleteYour trip does look amazing! And you saw so many sights. And friends make all of that more fun. Andrea
ReplyDeleteYes Andrea. I have traveled solo and enjoyed those trips, but friends make trips more enjoyable.
Delete