Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Back To Routine

It's been over two weeks since I came back from my vacation.  The house was dusty and the yard was full of weeds. Now everything is back to normal.

With frequent rain, doing yard work is not easy. This weekend I was able to weed the flower bed in the front yard. I also repotted several plants.


Newly repotted plants.


Two okra plants and a single tomato plant survived my long absence. I picked the first okra yesterday. I have no idea what to do with this one little okra. LOL

Okra.
I'm still looking for a sofa. I visited several furniture stores, but didn't find anything nice. Actually, I did find a couple of sofas I liked, but they were too expensive. So the search continues.

I bought two pieces of furniture from Habitat Restore; a bookshelf for $25, and a small cupboard for $20. I am going to have casters added to the cupboard and paint it, but the bookshelf is already in the living room.

New bookshelf. Room for more books :)
Speaking of books, I have been reading Georgette Heyer's books for the last two months. The current one is Death in the Stocks, another British themed detective fiction. My friend S gave me two books; All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. So I have enough books to read until I go back to work in three weeks. 😊

What are you reading this week?

XX

Nil





19 comments:

  1. Hi Nil, I just finished a book called, Where We Belong, by Hoda Kotb with Jane Lorenzini. It was excellent! Your garden looks so green and healthy. I am going to dust my cottage after I finish writing this comment. I am not very consistent about dusting, although I vacuum my cottage every afternoon. Glad to hear that you have some downtime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Stephenie, you vacuum everyday? I guess you have to because of the dogs. I vacuum if I see dirt, otherwise it's weekly task. I'm lazy. Hahaa

      Delete
  2. I see you did a great job weeding! Good luck looking for a sofa. Right now I am very lazy about reading! I think it is because I have to use bifocals and I don't like having glasses on! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about glasses Andrea. I'm supposed to wear mine, but don't do it when reading. They are varifocal, so there's a learning curve.

      Delete
  3. Great find on the bookshelf and gorgeous flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always pretty special to go away and see family and friends, but can be wonderful to be home again, to catch up on chores and fluff your nest. I've just finished reading The Death of Mrs Westawzy by Ruth Ware....."a heartstopping thriller about family secrets". A heart-pounding good read. Enjoy the last weeks of your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's my kind of book. 😊
      I'm going to see if it's available at my library.
      I agree about coming home after a vacation, Nanette. No matter how much I love to see friends and family, there's nothing like sleeping in my own bed.

      Delete
    2. That should be "WestawAy" Nil.....which you probably guessed:) Sounds like we like the same kinds of books, I love mysteries and thrillers.

      Delete
    3. I found the ebook on our library system and placed a hold. I'm 158th in the line. I wonder when it will be available for me. Most probably sometime next year. 😐

      Delete
  5. Your potted plants look nice and healthy. Yesterday I read a little book called Hundred Dollar Holiday by Bill McKibben about having a peaceful and joyful Christmas. (No, I don't read that fast. It was a short book.) Now I'm reading The Bone Curse by Carrie Rubin. It's a medical suspense novel, fast paced and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to add your books to my 'to read' list. It's getting too long now. I wish I had more time to read. 😊

      Delete
  6. You've been busy since you got home, Nil. Your repotted plants look great! This week, I've actually been re-reading a book called, "The Omnivores Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. It's a permanent fixture on our bookshelf. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched a documentary by Michael Pollen on Netflix. It was very interesting. I should see if my library has his books.

      Delete
  7. Your yard and plants look neat and tidy, Nil. I've been reading the Frugal Measures blog this week. She is very motivating to read for me and I enjoy how she encourages us to build up our skills. I hope you have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. Those plants got too big for their pots, so I had to put them in bigger pots. 😊

      I'm going to check Frugal Measures blog. I love reading frugal blogs, there is so much I can learn from frugal experts like you. 😊

      Delete
  8. You've been busy since you came back from your vacation! Your garden looks nice and green with all the rain you've been having. It's just too hot and dry for gardening, over here! I like your new bookshelf; fully worth the price! Enjoy the next few weeks of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil @ The Little House by the LakeJuly 27, 2018 at 5:41 PM
      It's hard to do work outside when it's too hot, isn't it? Here it's the opposite, too humid. That makes it worse.
      Thank you for commenting. 😊

      Delete
    2. Like I said on the other post, not sure why my comment showed up as "Unknown", yesterday!

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻