Sunday, November 8, 2020

Weekly Chit Chat ๐Ÿ˜Š

                    


Several months ago I received a cranberry hibiscus (Hibiscus acetosella) cutting from a member of  a regional gardening group. I use leaves in salads and juices. They are tart, just like fresh cranberries. Each time I cut branches for leaves, I stick them back in the ground. They grow very fast. This Wednesday, I had my first cranberry hibiscus flowers! Aren't they pretty?



The week was not very busy, because there were no tests. I graded the last two assignments yesterday (Saturday), and just finished posting announcements for the new week. This morning I planted the Tibouchina tree that was in a pot near the side fence. It was getting too big for the pot. I also did some weeding, planted another sweet potato slip, and a store bought pineapple crown, and transplanted several four o' clocks.

I am battling whiteflies. They are destroying eggplants and cayenne pepper plants.  There are nothing in raised beds now (except a couple of mustard greens popped up from last year's crop).  Papayas are doing well and taking forever to ripen. I'm impatient. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ The passion vine has more flowers, and several fruits again. I was planning to trim it, but can't make up my mind to do so while it is full of flowers.



I made a small lap blanket using granny squares. I had enough yellow yarn to make 11 squares, so I added maroon squares in each corner and added a shell border. 


The soup of the week is leek & potato soup. I've been eating lots of soups and salads lately. I plan to make a butternut squash for the next week. ๐Ÿ˜‹



Now I'm going to watch an episode of Poirot on Hoopla, before start cooking. ๐Ÿ˜Š


Have a wonderful week, everyone. Stay safe.


XXX

Nil


20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful hibiscus! You have a green thumb. I didn't know you could eat the leaves nor what they tasted like...very neat. Your papayas are very nice. With all your school work you can still crochet...very nice. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edible hibiscus is news to me — I didn’t know it was edible. I bought some leeks this week too, but made leeks vinaigrette and used the tough green parts in stock. Leek and potato soup looks good.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty flower and a good looking plant, too, with those purplish leaves. I don't think I've seen that variety of hibiscus, before. Your papaya trees look bountiful, too!

    The lap blanket turned out very nicely! I like the color combination. I have a pile of granny squares waiting to be put together to make a blanket, but they are made from assorted colors of yarn (all leftovers from other projects).

    I hope the week ahead will be a good one for you and not too busy. Are you in the path of the latest hurricane? Today's news showed its projected path as going up along Florida's western coast. I hope you are not in its path and won't be impacted by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. baby boomers are going to get abused and treated like garbage in the retirement homes. Literally everyone hates baby boomers now. Maybe you boomers shouldn't have been so selfish and arrogant and greedy. Enjoy those retirement homes, and good luck, boomers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That hibiscus is gorgeous. Mine are just garden variety bright red. I like yours much better. I had some issues with the white critters on my plants earlier in the summer. A spritz of water/peppermint oil/7th Heaven dishwashing liquid got rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that hibiscus is so pretty. and the colour of tibouchinas is just wonderful. your soup looks good! have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love soups, especially those chilly days, very yum! The flowers are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cranberry hibiscus is beautiful. I've never heard of using the hibiscus plant in cooking but at this time of year (Christmas) there are SO many recipes calling for cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hibiscus is gorgeous! I didn't know it was so easy to start new hibiscus plants. Nice lap blanket. Good luck with those whiteflies, and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nil, your cranberry hibiscus is so pretty. Those dusty pink blooms against grey-green leaves speak to me of hope in the wan and worn flow of life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Nil, your cranberry Hibiscus is stunning. Papaya, everytime you mention it, I want some. I wonder if they have any at the grocery store, fresh or maybe even in the can? It's supposed to be good for digestion. Your crochet came out very nice, I like the good old granny square, the joining part...not so much. I need to fetch out my hook and yarn and put the sewing machine away. You can't make a silk purse out of sow's ear, and I will never be even remotely adequate at sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a beautiful hibiscus that we successfully propagated by planting a branch many years ago. It is called Sierra Sunset (Sunrise? Daybreak?-I really can't remember exactly). It is bright orange with pink and yellow blotches. I have seen dried hibiscus flowers in the spice shop. We also have white fly. We have had success by keeping the bushes laced out to increase the airflow inside the plant and using a sticky sappy product spread on bright yellow paper. White flies are attracted to the color yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cranberry hibiscus flowers are beautiful, Nil. I've heard that hibiscus tea is good for you too.

    We used to have four o'clocks in our yard that were beautiful. The seeds are really easy to collect too, I wish I had brought some with me when we moved here.

    I know I say it every time, but I love how loaded your Papaya trees are. I hope they ripen for you quickly too.

    I hope you also have a wonderful week and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My cranneery hibiscus is in bloom now too, Nil. Aren't the flowers beautiful!
    MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hibiscus looks spectacular, Nil! Love the lap blanket, too. Your cooking sounds so healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Your hibiscus is stunning!! I need to talk DIL Elissa into letting me grow a couple in her garden next year. And look at those papaya you have going, wowzerz! I love your lap blanket, the colors are wonderful! You do such great work. We've been eating a lot of butternut squash lately. Can't seem to get enough of it lol. You stay safe and well, Nil! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cranberry hibiscus flowers are striking, especially contrasted with the attractive foliage. I like the lap blanket too, this is the season for them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have made the blanket very nicely. So good to see all those papaya and, hibiscus flowers are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have quite the green thumb. I love the idea of the hibiscus flowers. We have been eating more soups and salad too, especially since the farmer's markets here are loaded with fall greens. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The blooms on the hibiscus are lovely, Nil, and I didn’t know about using the leaves in salad, but also enjoy cranberries so it sounds good. Soups are one of my favorite things to make and this week I did a chicken soup using the carcass from Sunday’s roast chicken dinner. This week, I also plan to make butternut squash and have a recipe that calls for adding yogurt, somit’s really healthy๐Ÿ˜‹

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

๐ŸŒป Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. ๐ŸŒป