| Little blue heron |
It's almost December! Final exam week starts tomorrow, so I have been busy. Thanksgiving was just another day for me. Usually I invite friends or visit a friend for Thanksgiving, but this pandemic changed my plans. So I spent the day crocheting and sleeping. Mostly sleeping. The stress of the past few weeks is affecting me - I feel so drained sometimes. I can't wait until winter break. One more week to go .... 💃💃💃
I stopped crocheting Gemstone doily after 6 rounds. Robyn at Homemaker's Forum suggested using a different size hook to avoid ruffling, and Karon suggested adding extra stitches. However, by that time I had already decided to stop continuing it, and blocked the doily.
I needed to do something simple, so I started making beanies using this pattern. I made two.
I'm a member of our campus sustainability council, and volunteered to make homemade gifts for winners of a scavenger hunt next semester. I'm thinking of making homemade soap and/or several crocheted items. I haven't decided exactly what to crochet, but I think a scarf would be an easy item.
I went grocery shopping in the weekend before Thanksgiving, and bought vitamins online. I want to avoid crowds as much as possible. I did go for the annual blood test, and have a follow up visit with the doctor next week.
There were no experiments in the kitchen. On Friday I made a big batch of macaroni and cheese. I kept a portion for the next week, so I don't have to cook too much. There are two final exams on Wednesday, another on Thursday and two more on Friday. I really want to grade everything and submit grades by next Monday. The sooner I finish grading, the sooner I can start winter break. 😀
One of my higher level classes is going to be completely online next semester. There will be no Zoom classes. So I have to make videos. Two labs have new lab kits, so I have to test them as well. Winter break doesn't seem to be a real break, but I want to try my best to take a couple of days completely off, and not think about classes.
Plants are somehow surviving. I watered potted plants a couple of days, but everything else is somehow doing ok without my attention.
I'm joining Eileen's winter photo scavenger hunt. I had lots of fun participating in the hunt last year. Anyone else wants to join?
Take care everyone, stay safe. 🌻🌻🌻
XXX
Nil




You sound busier than ever, Nil! Good idea to keep a portion of the mac and cheese for next week when you'll be busy with finals! I like the doily, even if you stopped at 6 rounds and the beanies look good, too. I hope your blood test results will be normal and the appointment with the doctor goes well. I will be joining the Winter Photo Scavenger Hunt. It'll be fun! Hope you have a good week, next week; take care.
ReplyDeleteWow, you do have a heavy workload! I am glad you can spend some time doing something else like crocheting or cooking. Best wishes for the last week!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful crocheting! I think a nap for a holiday sounds fine to me! You must've really needed it too. I guess everyone seems to be getting a cold front for a day or two. Andrea
ReplyDeleteThe beanies are so cute! Sometimes here in central Virginia we get blue herons, but not often. They are such a graceful, lovely bird.
ReplyDeleteYou have been missed in blogland, Nil, but it’s understandable given your course work and exams coming up. From all I have been reading on the work that educators need to be doing online now, it is certainly not easy. I hooe you will be able to take a break and relax during your winter break. Thanksgiving was a but lonelier for many this year.
ReplyDeleteWow, you do need a break! I am trying to lose weight so haven't been eating too much comfort food but mac and cheese used to be a favorite. 🙂 I love making doilies. Sometimes the patterns can be exasperating. You do everything right...but they just don't look like they're supposed to. No matter, the shorter version looks lovely! 💖
ReplyDeleteYou have been a very busy lady. Your crochet work is lovely. The picture of the blue heron is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly how you feel Nil, such a busy academic term. I hope you get your exams graded quickly so that you can relax. We are doing oral assessments all week. At least these don't take long to grade! Here's to a well deserved winter break.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you had a chance to do very little on Thanksgiving. I think you needed that. Have a wonderful week x
Wonderful to have a blue heron near your house. You've been busy, no wonder you're tired, hope winter break is relaxing. x
ReplyDeleteHi Nil, Somehow I missed your last post. You have a difficult job. I can understand why you feel drained. Your garden looks great. I love the blue heron. The doily is so delicate and pretty, too. Take care of yourself. You deserve some rest.
ReplyDeleteHi Nil,
ReplyDeleteThe doily came out really nice just as you made it. My suggestions of doing more single / dc before your increase stitches would not of worked with this pattern. Glad you didn't follow that advice. lol lol If you are interest in hat patterns Moogly has some nice ones on her site. I hope you are able to relax over your winter break. Do take care of yourself and stay safe.
Karon
Paso Robles, CA USA
I should of said the site is Mooglyblog.com She also has some very nice scarves and cowls that are pretty simple.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck,
Karon
Paso Robles, CA , USA
You have been a busy girl, Nil. No wonder you are stressed out and tired! Wow! I think the doily is perfect just as is. Enjoy your week and the end of the semester is upon you! Take good care of yourself. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteNil, I am glad you are having a break as you do sound a tad tired and stressed. I hope your fruit survives the cold weather.
ReplyDeleteThe pandemic has certainly had an impact on the way we celebrate holidays. Hopefully, next year we will be able to be celebrating with friends and family again. I always enjoy seeing photos of birds and your beanies look adorable. Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteI know you're excited about having the semester end, Nil. Even if you have work to do over your break. Good plan to cover your tropical fruit, you wouldn't want a frost to get those beautiful papayas. I like the doily even though you didn't plan on having it ruffle, I think it looks good. I think the homemade soap and crocheted items will be good for the gifts for winners of the scavenger hunt next semester. I know I would like to receive those.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a good weekend.