The busy spring semester was over. Summer semester started on Monday, but I teach fewer classes, and all online in summer. So it is not going to be very busy.
Just before the semester ended I got really sick with a severe headache and body aches . I even wondered it was COVID, though I didn't have coughing or breathing problems. One night I almost called 911 because I was in so much pain and couldn't sleep. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but I fully recovered in two days. Somehow I managed to grade final exams. It was a relief to see the end of spring semester.
I attended a friend's wedding online. She was planning to have her wedding in India last year, and had to postpone because of the pandemic. In April, she got married in Boston, and I watched the church ceremony on YouTube. π°
Several months ago I bought a new sink to replace the cracked one in the bathroom. Two weeks ago a friend installed it for me, and also painted the cupboard. This is how the bathroom vanity looked like just before I bought the house. The top was light green and the rest of the cupboard was pale brown.
Now it looks like this. My friend added a small piece of Corian as a shelf above the sink. Now the cupboard is white, and has 270 degree stainless steel hinges.
When I was renewing my health insurance plan, I noticed that I had accumulated enough points to get a free fitness watch. I hope it will motivate me to exercise more. It's fun to watch how it monitors my steps, heat beat, sleep etc.
The other day I made a new curry. A kiwi curry! I saw the recipe on a Sri Lankan recipe page. I like its tangy and slightly sweet taste.
I had about a cup of sushi rice and some smoked salmon, so I made sushi for breakfast. π
| Kiwi fruit curry, sushi, roti with tomato curry. |
I have two ongoing crochet projects - a summer top and a granny rectangle. I plan to complete the second project first because it's a quick one.
Monday was my birthday. To celebrate, I went to a thrift store and bought a bagful of yarn. π They had 50% sale on craft supplies, so I paid $13.75 for all these yarn, and three silk roses.
There's another wave of COVID-19 spreading in Sri Lanka. Mom was able to get the first dose of Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, but now we are not sure if she will get the second dose because India has temporarily stopped all vaccine exports. Sister G received her second Oxford-AstraZeneca dose just yesterday from her workplace. Now there are two other vaccines - a Chinese one and a Russian one - available in Sri Lanka, but not sure when the people who received their first dose of AstraZeneca will get the second shot. Sister S refuses to get the vaccine. I really hope the Indian variant of COVID-19 won't spread around the world.
I continue to wear a mask when going to stores. I don't know how effective current vaccines are for future mutations of the virus.
The passion vine is full of fruits again. I trimmed it a lot, as it was even reaching neighbor's trees. The flowerbed in the front yard looks like a disaster. We didn't get rain for a while, and while I was busy with school work I completely ignored watering plants. I have to remove all dead plants and put something new there. May be next week.
I have been slacking off in andragogy class and am supposed to complete everything by mid June. I have three modules left.
I didn't read blogs for a while. I have a lot of catching up to do! At the same time, I feel so relaxed now, after a very busy semester. π
Take care everyone. Stay safe. π»πΌπ»πΌ
XXX
Nil







Belated Birthday wishes! It's lovely to see you back here, Nil. I checked in only yesterday just in case I had missed a post from you :)
ReplyDeleteI'm relieved your ill health was only short-lived. It must have been such a worry for you at the time. And I hope your family continue to stay safe and well. X
Thank you Jules. π
DeleteGlad to catch up on your news, Nil. I was worried about you and sent you an email...not sure if you received it, though.
ReplyDeleteI’m sorry I missed it Bless. Just now I went to that email account and saw your email. Thank you for checking on me. π₯°
DeleteHappy belated birthday, Nil. Sorry, meant to wish you earlier, but, forgot! :D
DeleteThank you very much Bless. Belated birthday wishes are good. They make me feel like I’ve a looong birthday. LOL π
DeleteWelcome back. I'm glad you're feeling so much better.
ReplyDeletexx
Thank you Joy..
DeleteThe new bathroom vanity looks so nice! Dear Husband got a fitness watch through his health insurance too. He has fun walking around with it.
ReplyDeleteThanks Priscilla. I’m very happy with the new vanity.
DeleteI’m still learning to use all the features of the fitness watch. It really motivates me to move around and be more active. π
Welcome back and happy belated birthday. I was sorry to read you were ill, but happy to know that it was short lived and all is well again. Love the bathroom sink and cabinet.
ReplyDeleteThank you Anita.
DeleteBecause of the pandemic, even a little illness makes me worry sometimes even though I'm fully vaccinated. :)
Belated Happy Birthday wishes Nil!
ReplyDeleteYou bathroom update is lovely!
I am right there with you about continuing with the mask simply because of the nature of virus mutations and the lack of vaccine participation.
Thank you for the birthday wishes, Anne.
DeleteNew CDC guidelines are a bit confusing. I'm not going to stop wearing masks anytime soon. :)
Welcome back and belated birthday wishes.
ReplyDeleteI do hope your Mum is able to get her second vaccination and that your family in Sri Lanka remains safe during the new wave.
Your bathroom looks lovely - well done!
Thank you Eileen.
DeleteI'm not sure when Mom will get her second shot. She doesn't go out at all, and hopefully has some immunity from the first dose.
Bonjour Nil
ReplyDeleteJe suis contente de votre retour π
Vous n'avez pas fait de test pour le Covid ? Il serait intΓ©ressant de savoir si c'est Γ§a car vous seriez immunisΓ©e quelques mois...
J'espère que tout ira bien pour votre maman.
Vous cuisinez bien. J'aime aussi cuisiner, cela me dΓ©tend si j'ai le temps.
Les jardins sont aussi très secs en France car nous manquons de pluie...
A bientΓ΄t Nil, prenez soin de vous.
Isabelle
Merci Isabelle.
DeleteJe n'ai pas passé de test COVID. Je suis complètement vacciné et je sors rarement, donc je n'ai pas pris la peine de me faire tester.
Moi aussi, je trouve la cuisine très relaxante. :)
J'espère que nous aurons tous les deux de la pluie très bientôt.
( I use Google translator. My French is very weak. :)
Glad that your illness was short lived, but imagine it was scary at the time, Nil. Glad to read the semester has ended and summer classes will be less hectic as well.Adding my belated Happy Birthdayπwishes to you, Nil, and nice that you treated yourself with those bargains. A birthday should be celebrated year long so you have much more time to enjoy your day. The vanity looks nice and that shelf will come in very handy with a small vanity, which is the same problem here in our apt, small vanities. Thank goodness there are 2 bathrooms so we can spread out our toothbrush and irrigators. It's too bad to read that your mother and other family are not able to get the vaccination process completed yet, hopefully in time.
ReplyDeleteThank you Beatrice. :)
DeleteMy bathroom is very small, so I'm always looking for ways to maximize storage. It is nice to have 2 bathrooms. My long term plans include a second bathroom with a bathtub. :)
Happy birthday Nil!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much earthmotherwithin. :)
DeleteWe have become very lax in Florida because numbers are good, the weather is beautiful and we do lots of outdoor stuff, and regulations have been lifted. I live in a high rise and everyone still wears a mask inside the building. I am concerned about other outbreaks especially since people keep flying hear from Canada, New York, and South America. Happy belated birthday and good luck with your summer classes.
ReplyDeleteThank you Judee. :)
DeleteYes, I too am concerned about other variants coming here. I'm glad your neighbors still wear masks. I think it is very wise to do so.
Your sink looks great! How fun to have some new yarn. I am knitting a pair of socks right now. It's so satisfying to make your own clothes. Glad you will have an easier schedule. It sounds like you did have Covid, Nil. Thank God you recovered. It's a scary feeling. It seems to affect us all differently.
ReplyDeleteI don't know it was COVID or a very severe migraine, Stephanie. I do get horrible migraine headaches once in a while and get violently sick. If it was COVID, vaccine must have helped a lot because I didn't have typical symptoms.
DeleteBelated birthday wishes Nil!
ReplyDeleteThank you Gaia. :)
DeleteGlad you are better now,Nil. Not sure if you saw the birthday greetings on the forum. Hope it was an enjoyable day.
ReplyDeleteYes, Chel. I visited the forum yesterday, and saw all the birthday greetings. π₯°
DeleteNow with a lighter teaching load, I plan to visit the forum often. π
how lovely to have a passionfruit vine Nil. glad to hear you got over your illness quickly. I caught a virus from visitors, and have been sick for over 3 weeks! just now getting better. take care
ReplyDeleteOh, I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been sick, Sherry. Hope you recover fully very soon. Have a restful weekend.
DeleteI so enjoy your posts! Enjoy your lighter schedule, you deserve some down time.π
ReplyDelete