The college was closed on Labor Day, so I had a three day weekend. I started the weekend with a long to-do list.
At the end of every month, I go over credit card and bank statements, and update the two EXCEL spreadsheets that track monthly expenses and savings. When I checked August expenses I saw that I had spent approximately $200 over budget. The unplanned expenses were for the yard. I bought edging stones for the front yard, and several bags of dirt for a raised bed.
I have a bunch of tomato seedlings that need a new bed. And papaya seedlings. I am not sure where they should go. Maybe I will plant a couple in the front yard.
I picked the first pineapple of year. It was small, but so delicious.
Long bean vines died, so I cleared the area and planted mustad greens.
Nothing exciting happened in the kitchen as I didn't try new recipes. But, I still try to eat as many plant foods as possible. Today I picked katuk leaves, sweet potato leaves and moringa leaves, and sauteed them with shallots and garlic. It was not a lot, but enough for two servings. It feels so good to eat home grown foods.
Tomorrow I have an early morning class, so I'd better go to bed now. 😊
Take care everyone. Have a wonderful week.
XXX
Nil




Three day weekends are the best! Your pineapple looks great. We love fresh pineapple here as it's so different from the canned variety. And I agree with you that home grown foods taste the best. I hope you have a great week, Nil.
ReplyDeleteI find canned pineapple is too sweet, Belinda. Yes, fresh ones are the best.
DeleteMy husband has been doing yard work too and he bought edging stones and dirt and it was more expensive than we expected. What a treat to harvest your own pineapple ! The little bears are adorable.
ReplyDeleteSeveral years ago one of my neighbors gave me a stack of edging stones. I didn't know they were that expensive until I had to buy some. :)
DeleteI agree things you grow tastes better than bought produce (unless you buy it directly from the farmer and it was freshly harvested)
ReplyDeleteHope you enjoyed your extra day!
Having an extra day was nice, but it went too fast. :)
DeleteYour homegrown pineapple looks so good! My pineapple plant died over the summer - it didn't grow big enough to grow a fruit. Your mixed leaves saute sounds delicious! I hope you have a wonderful week, yourself, Nil.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear about your pineapple plant. If you buy fresh pineapples from the store, you can plant the crown. All my pineapple plants are kids of store bought ones. :)
DeleteYour gardens look nice. My one son (in Florida) had a pineapple ready to pick. He decided to wait one more day....and a bear had eaten it overnight!! andrea
ReplyDeleteA bear? If a bear came to my yard, I would pass out. Ha ha..
DeleteI have a cage around pineapple plants to protect fruit from squirrels.
I’m a bit late in blog reading, Nil, and your holiday weekend was a busy one working in the yard, but what a treat to enjoy a home grown pineapple😋. This is one my husband’s favorite fruits aside from bananas.
ReplyDelete